Page 19 of 117 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #181
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The problem with this, though is simple logic. Perhaps much of the hate towards homosexuality comes from religion, but that does NOT mean that much of the religious hate those who are homosexual. This is why attacking a group or a belief system is illogical. The belief system is not the issue. What SOME people take from that belief system IS the issue.
    Yeah, but he didn't attack the entire belief system, he attacked people's misuse of the belief system.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Right and barring their interest in journalism, they're all the same?
    WTF? Red herring...straw....what is your point?
    They aren't and attacking some of them, who happen to be religious (in some form or another) is wise?
    Again, if saying " you are a hypocrite if you are a christian and condemn homosexuals" is "unwise", then simple challenges to ones beliefs must be avoided...or else one might have to think. Heaven forbid.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The root cause isn't Christians, it's people who act like assholes, that happen to be Christian.
    If they're bullying gays, they're likely bullying other, non gay people too.

    The religious belief really has nothing to do with, it's merely a poor justification.
    Actually the religious belief has a lot to do with it just like white supremacist beliefs have a lot to do with why some white supremacists act on their bigotry as well. It's amazing to me how you're so willing to give bigoted Christian beliefs such a pass.

  4. #184
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    With all due respect, talking about the root causes of bullying is one thing. Doing it by bullying, is another. There is a way to discuss it, without resorting to it.
    Yeah, the challenge "you are a hypocrite if you are a christian and condemn homosexuals" is so "bullying"!

    I can't believe you too have bought into this BS.

    Unfriend me, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #185
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,769

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It's actually a perfectly legitimate statement. If you teach kids that others are less than them, then a lot of those kids you teach will go straight to bullying those kids. You are right that you can teach kids to believe something to be morally wrong and not bully, but that reality coexists with my statement so I have no idea why you're presenting it as if it's a counterargument.

    Also, being gay is not a choice so I don't know why you're talking about "choosing" things. Add that to the list of arguments that hurt gay teens in today's society.
    Teaching that a certain action is a sin isn't teaching that people who sin are "less" than anyone else. All Christians have read Romans: For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Harry is right. It's not a Christian thing - it's an asshole thing.


  6. #186
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,496

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    With all due respect, talking about the root causes of bullying is one thing. Doing it by bullying, is another. There is a way to discuss it, without resorting to it.
    Exactly. A curse-filled screed is not the way to open a real dialogue.

  7. #187
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I agree that the way he said it was not at all conducive to discussion. I've said many times to atheists on this board that when they say things like "imaginary friend" and such, they get negative reactions because of how, not what, they said. However, in this case, we're talking about bigotry that stems from inconsistent and in turn, irrational, beliefs - the belief that what the Bible says about homosexuality is correct, but that we can just ignore what it says about slavery and other things.

    If he had spoken in the same manner about Bible-based rationalizations for slavery or racism, I highly doubt people would have a problem with what he said, but for some reason, people think that Bible-based rationalizations of anti-gay bigotry ought not be criticized in the same manner. That's hypocrisy and I don't sympathize with it,
    I cant disagree with you or agree...because ive never experienced any religious hatred towards gays...I was never seen it nor been a part of it...So I cant relate to what your saying...all i can relate to is what the speaker was saying and how he was saying it....and he was WRONG and the kids were absolutely right in walking out on him...none of those kids showed any religious bigotry or were showing any...he had no reason to do what he did....I think he was just doin the false courage thing and chest puffing...but lets talk about this...HOW DID HE MAKE OUT in his quest to convince high school kids christians...that bullying gays is wrong...just HOW DID HE MAKE OUT what he did was make things a whole lot worse...because those kids will never be as receptive as they should be to any speaker trying to send a message....he was wrong period and there is no excusing it.

  8. #188
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,496

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Actually the religious belief has a lot to do with it just like white supremacist beliefs have a lot to do with why some white supremacists act on their bigotry as well. It's amazing to me how you're so willing to give bigoted Christian beliefs such a pass.
    Were the members of Savage's audience all such "bigoted Christians"? Or was what he said counterproductive, creating listener rebellion?

  9. #189
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    32,553

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Exactly. A curse-filled screed is not the way to open a real dialogue.
    Exactly. It is certainly a sure way to close it though.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  10. #190
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The problem with this, though is simple logic. Perhaps much of the hate towards homosexuality comes from religion, but that does NOT mean that much of the religious hate those who are homosexual. This is why attacking a group or a belief system is illogical. The belief system is not the issue. What SOME people take from that belief system IS the issue.
    Those who know that the Bible is wrong on condemning homosexuals are not offended by the claim of hypocrisy, they understand that logic. Those who cannot handle it are those who have not come to terms with the fact the the Bible is full of errors, something that should not be taken literally, something that should not be swallowed whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 19 of 117 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •