Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 201

Thread: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

  1. #191
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,494

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    This whole thread is a pointless waste of energy. Nobody wants to admit that she broke the rules so her contract isn't getting renewed.
    I don't think anyone has denied that she broke the rules as the employer interpreted them (though there could be a question of how unspecific they were). The core issue is whether the terms of that contract are legal in this case, in the context of anti-discrimination laws.

    There seems to be a general acceptance that there is a discrimination case to answer since the schools defence is that as a religious organisation, they have an exemption to those laws.

    This isn't about contract law, it's about whether the religious should be granted exemptions to laws and if so, how wide and deep those exemptions should be (specifically whether they extend to secular employees of a religious school).

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I'd love for somebody to tell me (and I've asked in this thread several times) about a job where you can break the rules and not get fired.
    If a contract states that you can't convert to Catholicism, if would still be illegal to sack a newly converted employee. If a contract states that you have to obey the instructions of your manager, if they order you to do something illegal, it would still be illegal to sack someone for refusing to do so.
    Last edited by HonestJoe; 04-30-12 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo

  2. #192
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    You know if you change "Religious people" to say "hispanics", that might constitute hate speech.
    I didn't know "Hispanics" were big on the suicide bomber market. Maybe you know something I don't?

    Then again if you want to go back to the crusades, We only have to go back to WWII where we see the godless commies, killed what 100 million?
    Over political ideology. Not atheism itself. Thanks for the red herring though?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-30-12 at 07:52 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #193
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,636

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    I don't think anyone has denied that she broke the rules as the employer interpreted them (though there could be a question of how unspecific they were). The core issue is whether the terms of that contract are legal in this case, in the context of anti-discrimination laws.

    There seems to be a general acceptance that there is a discrimination case to answer since the schools defence is that as a religious organisation, they have an exemption to those laws.

    This isn't about contract law, it's about whether the religious should be granted exemptions to laws and if so, how wide and deep those exemptions should be (specifically whether they extend to secular employees of a religious school).

    If a contract states that you can't convert to Catholicism, if would still be illegal to sack a newly converted employee. If a contract states that you have to obey the instructions of your manager, if they order you to do something illegal, it would still be illegal to sack someone for refusing to do so.

    Thanks, Joe, for a real answer after 20 pages.

  4. #194
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,494

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Thanks, Joe, for a real answer after 20 pages.
    Well it's pretty much the same answer I gave 19 pages ago.

  5. #195
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,636

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Well it's pretty much the same answer I gave 19 pages ago.
    well I must have missed it.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    (1) Look, I made clear statements that I hate the catholic church for numerous reasons i spelled out in several posts. Each time I was referring to the leadership of the church.

    (2) You come along and try to suggest I meant all the people who are members of the church when in fact you clearly know otherwise and i have clarified numerous times..

    (3) And you have the balls to call me " intellectually dishonest " ?
    (1) You don't hate the Catholic Church. You hate some or all of the leadership within the Catholic Church. When you say you hate the Catholic Church you inadvertently refer to the whole congregation.


    (2) You may be using the 2nd definition, but that does not negate the fact that there is also an official 3rd definition, and that it directly applies to this issue. In trying to prove me wrong with definition #2 you provided definition #3, which validates my point, that the Church is the whole body of Christians.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

    Church - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    1church noun \ˈchərch\

    Definition of CHURCH

    3
    often capitalized : a body or organization of religious believers: as
    a : the whole body of Christians
    b : denomination <the Presbyterian church>
    c : congregation

    (3) You are and have been. I've been civil and respectful towards you this whole time, only to recieve vitreol and weak responses. I've already shown that you were wrong in stating you hated the entire church, and that what you really mean is that you hate the leadership within the church. When you say you hate the Church, you accidentally say you hate everyone in it. It appears this discussion with you is going nowhere, so since I've summed up my points I'll leave you with the last word.

  7. #197
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    well I must have missed it.
    Yes, and you missed the same argument when I made it in post 185 where you quoted me.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    (1) You don't hate the Catholic Church. You hate some or all of the leadership within the Catholic Church. When you say you hate the Catholic Church you inadvertently refer to the whole congregation.
    FFS, give it a rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    FFS, give it a rest.
    I don't think so.

  10. #200
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,636

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Yes, and you missed the same argument when I made it in post 185 where you quoted me.
    Oh, you mean that argument -- the one where you and I differ on what the conflict actually is?

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •