Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 201

Thread: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

  1. #111
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    She will not win her case because it's a private organization. You have to acknowledge and respect the fact that there are some religious people who own their own private establishments.
    Um, she was not a priest or a nun, she was not a religious employee.....and is your argument that federal law is not enforceable at "private establishments"?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. If eating bacon breaches a teacher's contractual obligation, the religious school can fire that person.

    If you don't like the constraints of working in a parochial school then work somewhere else. Its that simple.
    The "ministerial exception" defense won't work. Herx is not catholic, did not teach religion in her classes, was not a "called" teaching member....none of the checks for a ministerial exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #113
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I know what the diocese defense is, you are taking the diocese position. Her claim is that she had her rights violated, apparently twice now you have skipped over it, once when I posted the charge to Zyp on the same page you quoted me from, and the second time when you did not read the entire article you quoted from....which is where my original info came from. Open your eyes.
    I'm not taking anyone's position. I just understand reality of the situation. Open your eyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The "ministerial exception" defense won't work. Herx is not catholic, did not teach religion in her classes, was not a "called" teaching member....none of the checks for a ministerial exception.
    It doesn't matter. It's a contractual obligation she agreed to by signing.

    The diocese said that teachers, even those such as Herx who aren't Catholic, are required by their contracts to abide by Catholic tenets and "serve as moral exemplars."
    Emily Herx, Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  4. #114
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. If eating bacon breaches a teacher's contractual obligation, the religious school can fire that person.

    If you don't like the constraints of working in a parochial school then work somewhere else. Its that simple.
    Did this teacher have a contract that stated she had to be Catholic? Is it fair to require a non-Catholic to live up to Catholic sexual requirements?

    What, in her contract or employment conditions required this? That would be my question. I don't know the specifics, but if not, it's hard to justify.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #115
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Did this teacher have a contract that stated she had to be Catholic? Is it fair to require a non-Catholic to live up to Catholic sexual requirements?

    What, in her contract or employment conditions required this? That would be my question. I don't know the specifics, but if not, it's hard to justify.
    No but she agreed to this by signing her contract:

    The diocese said that teachers, even those such as Herx who aren't Catholic, are required by their contracts to abide by Catholic tenets and "serve as moral exemplars."
    Emily Herx, Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  6. #116
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'll not pick another thank you very much. Organized religion is a joke.


    Well to you it's a joke. To a believer it's not a joke. Just because you've had a bad experience doesn't mean you can sit in judgement on others beliefs.

    Most folks, brought up as believers, have a difficult time with believing in nothing at all. I've found there is always this little "something" that just doesn't set right with them. But glad you've found your place in this world.

  7. #117
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    And yet you still can't quite get it? Such a difficult concept. Is it any wonder that righties can't comprehend separation of church and state?


    So your telling me that all Libbys/Demo/Progs are none believers? That's interesting. I wonder why?

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    No but she agreed to this by signing her contract:

    The diocese said that teachers, even those such as Herx who aren't Catholic, are required by their contracts to abide by Catholic tenets and "serve as moral exemplars."
    Emily Herx, Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization
    I would think that wraps this case up rather well. Seriously, she signed a contract.

  9. #119
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    This is an interesting read and may take a while to down load if your computer is as slow as mine. I can see where this issue is moot. Additionally, the implication below for the plaintiff is part of what makes it so interesting.

    When the school discharges an employee, the employee may bring suit. A court will analyze the terms of the employment contract and consider the nature of the work or activity for the employment. If the activity is "religious" and termination was based on religious motives, such as expressed belief or conduct inconsistent with the church's own faith or ethical norms, in most cases the decision of the church school has been upheld. Relevant cases are Christine Madsen v. Robert Erwin (1985), which involved a lesbian writer for the Christian Science Monitor, and O'Connor Hospital v. Superior Court (1987), which involved a priest who was a chaplain at a Catholic hospital.
    http://ejournals.bc.edu/ojs/index.ph...ewFile/265/262
    Last edited by Μολὼν λαβέ; 04-28-12 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  10. #120
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I would think that wraps this case up rather well. Seriously, she signed a contract.
    Yeah, if that's what the contract says, then...so it is.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •