Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 70

Thread: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

  1. #31
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Wow. Talk about a load of BS. What are your thoughts about the government taking over safety training, not allow 4-H and FFA to do it?
    I find nothing about this in the document the source article provided. Considering the article was flat out dishonest in other areas, without some confirmation I am doubtfull that is the full story or the true story.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Depends .... Depends ..... Most likely.....
    Is it possible to be definitive on anything?

    Farming, and more to the point agribusiness are some of the most deadly civilian jobs out there. Last I checked always in the top 5 most dangerous. The machinery we use causes around 1/3 the deaths.
    From the OP article: "They have said the number of injuries are higher for children than in non-ag industries,” she said. But everyone in agriculture, Boswell insisted, “makes sure youth work in tasks that are age-appropriate.”

    The safety training requirements strike many in agriculture as particularly strange, given an injury rate among young people that is already falling rapidly.

    According to a United States Department of Agriculture study, farm accidents among youth fell nearly 40 percent between 2001 and 2009, to 7.2 injuries per 1,000 farms.
    "
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  3. #33
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I find nothing about this in the document the source article provided. Considering the article was flat out dishonest in other areas, without some confirmation I am doubtfull that is the full story or the true story.
    "The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course."

    "“In the last three years that division has grown 30 to 40 percent,” Boswell said. Some Farm Bureau members, she added, have had inspectors on their land checking on conditions for migrant workers, only to be cited for allowing their own children to perform chores that the Labor Department didn’t think were age-appropriate."

    The real interesting thing, is they say it's open for comment, but where is the actual proposal to review to comment on? There is an press announcement...
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    "The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course."

    "“In the last three years that division has grown 30 to 40 percent,” Boswell said. Some Farm Bureau members, she added, have had inspectors on their land checking on conditions for migrant workers, only to be cited for allowing their own children to perform chores that the Labor Department didn’t think were age-appropriate."

    The real interesting thing, is they say it's open for comment, but where is the actual proposal to review to comment on? There is an press announcement...
    Those are from ther article, which has not shown itself to be accurate, not from the source the article cites. Going to the webstire of 4-H and FFA, all I can find is that they have testified in front of congress on the topic. Without some kind of indiependent source backing the claim, I am putting it down as unproven and probably either another lie, or not the whole story on the subject.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Those are from ther article, which has not shown itself to be accurate, not from the source the article cites. Going to the webstire of 4-H and FFA, all I can find is that they have testified in front of congress on the topic. Without some kind of indiependent source backing the claim, I am putting it down as unproven and probably either another lie, or not the whole story on the subject.
    Hard to know when the mainstream media does not report some things. Have you managed to find the actual proposal so that even the press release can be vetted as accurate or not?
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  6. #36
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Child Labor Laws | Farming | Department of Labor | The Daily Caller



    More invasion into the private lives of families, in a manner that is more harmful than helpful.
    More and more and more government. It seems that neither party actually gets rid of government, they just grow it in different areas. There are some states where kids can get in trouble for working at their family's restaurant, that's BS. I got my first job at 14 (McDonald's), but had worked my Grandma's dairy farm many many summers before that (and after that...stupid dairy farm).

    We wonder why we're starting to turn into a country of pussies.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #37
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,849

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    "The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course."

    "“In the last three years that division has grown 30 to 40 percent,” Boswell said. Some Farm Bureau members, she added, have had inspectors on their land checking on conditions for migrant workers, only to be cited for allowing their own children to perform chores that the Labor Department didn’t think were age-appropriate."

    The real interesting thing, is they say it's open for comment, but where is the actual proposal to review to comment on? There is an press announcement...
    I don't want to go through the work of finding it, but I'm sure you can find the proposed ruling, as well as any comments submitted, here: Regulations.gov

    You should probably search for the name of the proposed ruling or, maybe, the subject.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #38
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Ah, paranoid rants? Yes, I see, from a supporter of 'government knows best'. Go figure.
    I see some deflecting here. Who's going on a paranoid rant?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Hard to know when the mainstream media does not report some things. Have you managed to find the actual proposal so that even the press release can be vetted as accurate or not?
    I have not, neither have you, nor apparently has the person who wrote the article. Two of us have not lied yet on this issue, the guy who wrote the article, he did.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I have not, neither have you, nor apparently has the person who wrote the article. Two of us have not lied yet on this issue, the guy who wrote the article, he did.
    What proof do you have? Considering you said you have not read the full proposal, it would be interesting to know how you *know* he lied.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •