Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

  1. #41
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    it's a constitutional issue ONLY when the government is involved. In Pickering, it was a public school board.




    Are you being purposely dense? The whole reason you brought this line of conversation up is because Mya and cpwill said they were for "tenure reform," which you said violated the First Amendment. Never mind that neither one of them even said what the reform should be.
    A lesson when you call someone "dense". Get your facts straight. John Hammond of City University of New York. "From its establishment in 1847 as the Free Academy to its existence today as New York City's public institution of higher learning." In 1926, the New York State legislature created the Board of Higher Education of the City of New York to integrate, coordinate and expand the institutions of higher education in the city...
    About - CUNY


    Moreover, now that you have resorted to name calling or otherwise offensive behavior without any substance or information to rebut my presumption or otherwise make a cohesive argument countering my position, you, as a poster are going by way of the "Dodo" bird and are extinct as far as I am concerned regarding this thread...

  2. #42
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    A lesson when you call someone "dense". Get your facts straight. John Hammond of City University of New York. "From its establishment in 1847 as the Free Academy to its existence today as New York City's public institution of higher learning." In 1926, the New York State legislature created the Board of Higher Education of the City of New York to integrate, coordinate and expand the institutions of higher education in the city...
    About - CUNY
    Yeah, which is why I brought up that it also involves private universities. I'm fully aware that there are state universities.

    The fact that it's an issue which involves private universities as well as public ones shows one of the ways where Pickering can be distinguished. Did you really not get that?


    Moreover, now that you have resorted to name calling or otherwise offensive behavior without any substance or information to rebut my presumption or otherwise make a cohesive argument countering my position, you, as a poster are going by way of the "Dodo" bird and are extinct as far as I am concerned regarding this thread...
    I've resorted to no "name-calling"; I've described your behavior.

    The two of them brought up "tenure reform." You said it would violate the First Amendment. I said it wouldn't. You brought up Pickering. I said it could be easily distinguished. You then demanded that I show "documentation" that it (Pickering, I guess) "cited" tenure, as though I was the one bringing tenure into the conversation. So yeah, that seems purposely dense to me.

    Never mind that "tenure reform" could just as easily mean abolishing tenure altogether. Now, tell me, how does THAT violate the First Amendment in any way?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #43
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    This is a news report from Iran Press TV a propoganda arm of the Iranian government.

    The fruitcakes interviewed on Press TV include Alex Vitae of Brooklyn College, Heather Gautney of Fordham University, and John Hammond of City University of New York.

    Have a Peek-a-boo at the geniuses

    American Professors Gather in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference | The Weekly Standard



    What a pack of boobs. Maybe they should stay in Iran and do a "occupy the mullahs".

  4. #44
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    I think this is a non news item and therefore a waste of bandwidth
    Mya, I was hasty in my assessment of the material you provided and upon further research see various aspects to this topic that were not apparent from the inception of the thread. Kindly accept my apology for suggesting that your thread was a "waste of bandwidth".

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Mya, I was hasty in my assessment of the material you provided and upon further research see various aspects to this topic that were not apparent from the inception of the thread. Kindly accept my apology for suggesting that your thread was a "waste of bandwidth".

    Thank you Connery!

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,944

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Sure you are. You want to punish or deprive people for fostering an ideal. An ideal, which again I do not support in practice, but, the expression of which is necessary to enjoy the freedoms we all have especially in an academic setting.
    Yes, this is what academic freedom means.

    If these folks want to go over there, more power to 'em. Will be interesting reading the publications they score out of this. By their fruits, we will know them.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Sure you are. You want to punish or deprive people for fostering an ideal. An ideal, which again I do not support in practice, but, the expression of which is necessary to enjoy the freedoms we all have especially in an academic setting.
    In almost any other profession in the world, your boss has a right to fire you for what you say or what you do, regardless of 'free speech' issues. You say or do things that refect badly on the employer, you get canned. Not in the world of academia, however. Apparently, they're special.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Yes, this is what academic freedom means.

    If these folks want to go over there, more power to 'em. Will be interesting reading the publications they score out of this. By their fruits, we will know them.
    Not sure why 'academic freedom' should mean more than any other kind of freedom. 'Academic Freedom' was invented by Academics so that they could say and do whatever they wanted with absolutley no consequences.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,944

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference


  10. #50
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    11-22-14 @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    206

    Re: American Professors in Tehran for Occupy Wall Street Conference

    Perhaps if these tenured professors were actually teaching, as opposed to running around the world attending such important meetings (OWS in Tehran, really?), a college education might be a little more affordable. But apparently educating our youth takes a back seat again.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •