Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 152

Thread: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

  1. #111
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Your avatar is the best one here. It accurately reflects my feeling of needing to do a "face palm" after I finish reading one of your posts.
    Funny, I have the same reaction after reading one of yours.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #112
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Sorry, you're wrong. I pay my taxes and taxes, collectively, go to pay for many of the things I use and many, many more than I never do. The government's dollars are the taxpayer's dollars, we fund the government and everything the government does, at least we would if the government would stop living beyond it's means and borrowing from China. The government doesn't send me a check, I send it to them.

    However, welfare recipients pay nothing whatsoever, in fact, they get free money just for waking up in the morning. They do nothing to earn it, it is provided at society's discretion and we can attach any strings to it we wish. If we collectively want to require that they dress like clowns all day in order to get that check, we could do it. Society makes the rules and if society decides that we're going to require drug testing to continue getting that government check, then that's the way it is. Welfare recipients can either submit to the will of society or they can stop sticking their hand out.
    I disagree. We often pay for things which add benefit to aggregated society. Things like Welfare at base provide benefit for the whole. We cannot place arbitrary restrictions because at some point you start to take away the benefits of having the system in the first place. There are always proper restraint to government force. For instance, they cannot require than anyone who accepts welfare give up their exercise to vote. It's not proper. Here, while there could be argument made for drug testing, the process is going to be well more expensive, costing us all more money, and will ultimately do nothing to address any real change necessary to the system. This is deflection and nothing more.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #113
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I disagree. We often pay for things which add benefit to aggregated society. Things like Welfare at base provide benefit for the whole. We cannot place arbitrary restrictions because at some point you start to take away the benefits of having the system in the first place. There are always proper restraint to government force. For instance, they cannot require than anyone who accepts welfare give up their exercise to vote. It's not proper. Here, while there could be argument made for drug testing, the process is going to be well more expensive, costing us all more money, and will ultimately do nothing to address any real change necessary to the system. This is deflection and nothing more.
    I don't view welfare, especially as it's set up today, as a social positive. The concept, I suppose, is sound. Keep people eating while they are going through the down times, get them back on their feet and back to work. However, we all know that's just not how the welfare system works today. It's designed to keep people from going back to work, people are penalized for getting jobs and certainly, the welfare system does nothing whatsoever to encourage people to work or get educated. It's just a check, nothing more. I propose drug testing as a part of comprehensive welfare reform designed to get people off their fat, lazy asses and back to work. Welfare ought to be very short-term and hard to live on. It should have tons of requirements. It should be something so awful that nobody ever wants to be on it and anyone who is on it will do just about anything to get off.

    Voting is a fundamental right in this country, laid out specifically in our founding documents. Taking drugs don't seem to appear there, sorry. People have no rights to take drugs. Try again.

    Drug testing isn't the end-all-be-all of welfare reform, but it is a necessary step. Stop pretending that because we don't take all the steps at the same time, we should throw up our hands and do nothing.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #114
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Kids aren't responsible for their parents. Parents are responsible for their own actions or they lose their kids. How can you possibly confuse the two?
    You willfully ignore that the kids lose their parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #115
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    You willfully ignore that the kids lose their parents.
    Not much of a loss. At least they gain a future.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #116
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Funny, I have the same reaction after reading one of yours.
    Nothing better than a snappy comeback.

  7. #117
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Welfare recipients may not pay income tax, but there are plenty of other taxes they pay on a daily bases. These can range from sales taxes, gas taxes, utility taxes, taxes hidden in the cost of the production of goods and services, and the list goes on. The notion that anybody... even welfare recipients... pay no taxes is simply naive to the point of foolishness.

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    You willfully ignore that the kids lose their parents.
    I would rather they lose their parents than grow up in a drug house.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #119
    Student nathanj63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    09-16-12 @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    195

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    I can understand the sentiment behind wanting welfare recipients to pass a drug test (though I disagree with it). However, the fact of the matter is that it is a MYTH that many of the people who receive welfare use it on drugs. This was clearly shown by the results of the Florida state law that required drug testing for welfare recipients. Only 2.6 percent of those tested failed the test (an additional 1% failed to take the test for whatever reason). Because Florida reimbursed the $30 fee to take the test to those that passed, the law ended up costing an extra $45K. In the end, it really is a law that might make the Republican base happy, but in the end is fairly useless.

    And me personally, I think it is pretty dumb for a positive drug test for marijuana to prohibit anyone from doing anything. It's no big deal.

    No Savings Are Found From Welfare Drug Tests - New York Times

  10. #120
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Deal OKs bill requiring drug testing for welfare recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Not much of a loss. At least they gain a future.
    A future putting a shrink's kids through college.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •