Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

  1. #1
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    His dad did the right thing by shielding his son but this sounds like a gang related drive by shooting so his dad did the wrong thing by being in a gang, it's a wash. If you choose to be a gang member you choose to put your family at risk. Further facts could come out to make everything I just said wrong but that's my snap judgment on this.

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    This is so sad. I wonder if this is one of our "War Zone Neighborhoods." Probably so. Yes, he's a hero.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    His dad did the right thing by shielding his son but this sounds like a gang related drive by shooting so his dad did the wrong thing by being in a gang, it's a wash. If you choose to be a gang member you choose to put your family at risk. Further facts could come out to make everything I just said wrong but that's my snap judgment on this.
    How do you know that father was in a gang? Good grief.

    If you must place blame, there's plenty to go around: put it on law enforcement that is either unable or unwilling to devote resources necessary to put down what amounts to rebellion in these neighborhoods; put it on neighborhoods themselves who are too scared to clean up their own streets.

    If this was happening in White Bread Neighborhoods, we'd be calling up the National Guard.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 04-09-12 at 10:52 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This is so sad. I wonder if this is one of our "War Zone Neighborhoods." Probably so. Yes, he's a hero.



    How do you know that father was in a gang? Good grief.

    If you must place blame, there's plenty to go around: put it on law enforcement that is either unable or unwilling to devote resources necessary to put down what amounts to rebellion in these neighborhoods; put it on neighborhoods themselves who are too scared to clean up their own streets.

    If this was happening in White Bread Neighborhoods, we'd be calling up the National Guard.
    I am assuming that the father was the target of a gang shooting because he was riddled with bullets, he was the target not the victim of a stray round.

  5. #5
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I am assuming that the father was the target of a gang shooting because he was riddled with bullets, he was the target not the victim of a stray round.
    Bullets dont' discriminate between 'gang member' and 'non gang member' - there's no evidence he was a target and it would behoove your soul if you didn't presume he was simply because he was killed by said bullets: for all we know they had the wrong house - or didn't even know he was inside the garage.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Bullets dont' discriminate between 'gang member' and 'non gang member' - there's no evidence he was a target and it would behoove your soul if you didn't presume he was simply because he was killed by said bullets: for all we know they had the wrong house - or didn't even know he was inside the garage.
    I specifically said as facts come out I may be completely wrong and I am basing my opinion on what I know now.

  7. #7
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I specifically said as facts come out I may be completely wrong and I am basing my opinion on what I know now.
    No, you're basing it on an assumption of what you think you know because of the very little information given, that really doesn't even mention gang activity at all.

    It is more than possible that this guy could have been standing up to the gangs or at least one or a few of their members in his neighborhood. It is also possible that he was just a witness to something. Or maybe, as someone else pointed out, the people got the wrong house. Or possibly someone was trying to cause trouble in several places at the same time to pull something else off while the police are busy elsewhere and this guy just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe this was a gang just trying to instill fear in the neighborhood by randomly shooting and killing the people.

    In fact, there really isn't even solid information that this was gang-related at all. It is a definite possibility, from the info we do have, but it could also be something else.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, you're basing it on an assumption of what you think you know because of the very little information given, that really doesn't even mention gang activity at all.

    It is more than possible that this guy could have been standing up to the gangs or at least one or a few of their members in his neighborhood. It is also possible that he was just a witness to something. Or maybe, as someone else pointed out, the people got the wrong house. Or possibly someone was trying to cause trouble in several places at the same time to pull something else off while the police are busy elsewhere and this guy just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe this was a gang just trying to instill fear in the neighborhood by randomly shooting and killing the people.

    In fact, there really isn't even solid information that this was gang-related at all. It is a definite possibility, from the info we do have, but it could also be something else.
    Everything you say is possible but my theory is probable based on past experience, I hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

  9. #9
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Everything you say is possible but my theory is probable based on past experience, I hope I am wrong but I doubt it.
    I'd say, given the info we have (the guy being married and having a son and another child on the way) suggests that your theory is less likely the situation than either him being targeted because he is some how talking against the gangs or someone thinks he witnessed something or a gang trying to spread fear in the neighborhood. Your theory is still quite possible, but not more likely than those other things mentioned, given the info we do have.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD, replying to another View Post
    [...] How do you know that father was in a gang? [...]
    Typical right wing analysis, Maggie... the guy was black, he deserved to die. You've been following the Trayvon Martin case, right? Same same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •