Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 70

Thread: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

  1. #41
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Instead of focusing on something so diminutive as food stamps or welfare why don't fiscal conservatives talk more about the massive bloated military spending budget?
    I'm not actually a conservative person I just know using your food stamp card as a way to get an admission discount and get some $10 drinks shows that the culture is to abuse the system. To me summarizing abuses to a system that others in real need could use.

    I think we need our military and intelligence budget scaled back to 2001 levels. That is another subject entirely though.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  2. #42
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Harry-
    You live as you see fit, but one thing I don't expect is for others to live to my standard and not above if they receive gubment assistance. I have no problem with a man denying himself all the fun this life has to give to amass wealth by any measure. Scrooge was just misunderstood...
    I'm not a scrooge, I'm just doing what's right by my family and the tax payer.
    Taking money from the government, when I can work, is ethically wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Now that said, I pity the man who is heartless enough to think an occasional night out where for all any of us know only a few dollars was spent is wanton waste when they,(mostly likely) are the working poor not 'welfare' queens. Not every night shaking what God gave ya, but once a month and as I said before, all this posturing over a tacky promotion, (you should see the car dealer ads in Philly if you want to talk tacky), NO ONE knows if anyone showed up for it!

    But bashing 'welfare' makes for great internet fodder...
    I disagree, if your poor, you should be conserving resources, until you're not poor.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #43
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Yes, but my point is it wasn't those getting the handout who advocated this - it was the big food companies who wanted those profits. So to blame those receiving food stamps for that isn't fair, and shows less a problem with the food stamp system and more the problem with lobbyists influencing government programs.
    It's a problem with both.
    Neither have enough personal ethics to do the right thing.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #44
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm saying that you have your head way up your ass if you think that food stamps/WIC is fraud-proof. This isn't even including anecdotal statements about where I've seen firsthand how people give others their "coupons" for cash money. Stamps are essentially a bearer bond.



    I AM a taxpayer. Your hyperbole is making you wide open to mockery.
    People on food stamps pay taxes too.

    You've had generations of taxpayers build an entire nation's worth of infrastructure for you. You are a net leech on society.
    Last edited by Deuce; 04-08-12 at 12:06 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Harry-
    that you feel taking gubment money while you are capable of work is a noble ideal. However as best as I can say is life is rarely noble and scarcely Ideal.

    In Oklahoma there are many gubment/civil service people who qualify for reduced price lunches for their kids, food stamps, 'making work pay' tax breaks and earned income credit so the refund is larger than the amount withheld from paychecks.

    Are you saying these folks shouldn't ever go out for a nice night's dinner and dancing just because their kids get a reduced price lunch and the miserable pay they earn while safeguarding society qualifies for food stamps?

    I am talking about cops and deputies doing what most of us wouldn't for all the tea in china.

    Now the poor working to be unpoor. Once again a good and puritan work ethic. Hard work and clean living is the mytical Ideal some hold up as capable of making any citizen a millionaire or at least a Boca Raton retiree.

    But many of the working poor work hard long hours for poor pay and high rent/transportation/no benefits. Throw in a sick child and all the hours of the day and night still don't lift one up to even out of poverty. For them, hard working, long hours and plenty of sacrifice still qualifies for food stamps, housing assistance and free school lunches. I don't begrudge them a night out and if a food stamp card gets them a reduced cover charge... ummm why exactly does that bother the rest of us who's work isn't as back breaking and who's lives didn't include some hard knock spells disaster for many working poor?

    I choose to thank my good fortune to have missed the hard knocks, and I aint out of the woods yet, it will only take one case of cancer to drain our finances even with the very expensive insurance we pay 100% as we both are self employed, and make us working poor. My wife and I spent 2 decades building a range from scratch, it will only take one positive on a PAP smear, lump, colon screening to take it all away.

    I am not about to say there are no lazy folks on Gubment Assistance, just quite willing to say blanket statements like the type you make don't serve to clarify, just make a few feel superior, or justify reducing aid to the working poor because of caricatures held up as false images of the real facts on the ground.

    But hey, I have seen quite a few hard working people struggle and don't feel I am immune to life's crotch kicks.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I'm not actually a conservative person I just know using your food stamp card as a way to get an admission discount and get some $10 drinks shows that the culture is to abuse the system.
    How is getting a discount with a food stamp card any different than getting a military or senior discount? No taxpayer money is being used, if a private business wants to get some customers who might not usually get into their club, who cares? What is the big damn deal? Seems like people are more concerned with the principle than the actual details.

    This whole debate stinks of stereotypes and assumptions.

  7. #47
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    How is getting a discount with a food stamp card any different than getting a military or senior discount? No taxpayer money is being used, if a private business wants to get some customers who might not usually get into their club, who cares? What is the big damn deal? Seems like people are more concerned with the principle than the actual details.

    This whole debate stinks of stereotypes and assumptions.
    Being a senior and getting discounts is a courtesy people give. Military discounts are something given because they are signing their lives to the government anyways. I personally know white and black people that game the system and this flyer is a reminder that there are several more out there. These promoters didn't do this for shock value or to be clever they did it
    because they know the culture.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Being a senior and getting discounts is a courtesy people give. Military discounts are something given because they are signing their lives to the government anyways. I personally know white and black people that game the system and this flyer is a reminder that there are several more out there. These promoters didn't do this for shock value or to be clever they did it
    because they know the culture.
    How are they possibly gaming the system? Is any red cent of your tax dollars going to this club? No. So knock off the insincere outrage.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Harry-
    that you feel taking gubment money while you are capable of work is a noble ideal. However as best as I can say is life is rarely noble and scarcely Ideal.

    In Oklahoma there are many gubment/civil service people who qualify for reduced price lunches for their kids, food stamps, 'making work pay' tax breaks and earned income credit so the refund is larger than the amount withheld from paychecks.

    Are you saying these folks shouldn't ever go out for a nice night's dinner and dancing just because their kids get a reduced price lunch and the miserable pay they earn while safeguarding society qualifies for food stamps?

    I am talking about cops and deputies doing what most of us wouldn't for all the tea in china.

    Now the poor working to be unpoor. Once again a good and puritan work ethic. Hard work and clean living is the mytical Ideal some hold up as capable of making any citizen a millionaire or at least a Boca Raton retiree.

    But many of the working poor work hard long hours for poor pay and high rent/transportation/no benefits. Throw in a sick child and all the hours of the day and night still don't lift one up to even out of poverty. For them, hard working, long hours and plenty of sacrifice still qualifies for food stamps, housing assistance and free school lunches. I don't begrudge them a night out and if a food stamp card gets them a reduced cover charge... ummm why exactly does that bother the rest of us who's work isn't as back breaking and who's lives didn't include some hard knock spells disaster for many working poor?

    I choose to thank my good fortune to have missed the hard knocks, and I aint out of the woods yet, it will only take one case of cancer to drain our finances even with the very expensive insurance we pay 100% as we both are self employed, and make us working poor. My wife and I spent 2 decades building a range from scratch, it will only take one positive on a PAP smear, lump, colon screening to take it all away.

    I am not about to say there are no lazy folks on Gubment Assistance, just quite willing to say blanket statements like the type you make don't serve to clarify, just make a few feel superior, or justify reducing aid to the working poor because of caricatures held up as false images of the real facts on the ground.

    But hey, I have seen quite a few hard working people struggle and don't feel I am immune to life's crotch kicks.
    I'm not making caricatures of working poor people.
    I know not all people do this.

    I'm just saying that if you actively seek government services, attesting that you can't afford to feed your family, you shouldn't be out spending any excess money on party supplies.
    It doesn't help one get off of said government services.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Food Stamp Friday at the club! $5 off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm not making caricatures of working poor people.
    I know not all people do this.

    I'm just saying that if you actively seek government services, attesting that you can't afford to feed your family, you shouldn't be out spending any excess money on party supplies.
    It doesn't help one get off of said government services.
    Agreed, people on welfare should be legally barred from doing anything but working while they are on welfare. They should submit a weekly financial report to prove not a single penny goes to anything each individual taxpayer wouldn't personally approve of. They should be ankle monitored, drug tested, and kept on 24 hour video surveillance to ensure they don't go out a spend money on wasteful things. They should also be forced to wear "welfare jumpsuits" so people can identify welfare recipients; any welfare recipients should be forced to thank each taxpayer they see in public.

    Gimmie a break. If you qualify for public assistance, you should get what you're alloted and that's it. You blow it all on clubs and nights out? Bad move, no more till next month. Each situation is different; single people get welfare, too. It's your money, you should be able to do what you want with it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •