Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 163

Thread: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

  1. #101
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    There it goes again. Another claim of "improving" people because they need to live more like us. I'd rather our economies and governments be focused on improving our lives and standards first and foremost. If they want to be more like us, then they need to raise their standards to ours. Instead we apply free trade policies which lowers out standards to meet theirs. I'm not on board with you there.
    I just want them to be able to feed themselves, without struggling.
    A basic human requirement for life, is eating enough to not die of disease.

    So yea, I want them to "live like us."
    If you call eating, "living like us."

    My humanistic views aren't limited to people, who're born in the same arbitrary land borders, that I am.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #102
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I realize this has turned into an anti-WalMart rant, but I'd like to address the OP issue. It is absolutely ludicrous to boycott any company because they agree with legislation passed by any state. Ludicrous. I don't even get this ID-to-vote flap in the first place. Of course people should present valid photo ID to vote, just like they have to present one to fly, open a bank account, verify a check, any number of things that ordinary citizens and legal immigrants have to do in everyday life.

    I mean, dude! Are "democrats" trying to say that unless we give every warm body that shows up at the polls a ballot, we are "oppressing" people? Come on! We might as well send absentee ballots to every adult in this hemesphere and half of Europe so they too can have a say in who we elect.

    As for WalMart, boycott if you want. WalMart won't really feel it. My sister-in-law has worked for WalMart for 20 years, ever since she grew old enough that nobody else would hire her. She's been given good benefits, including health insurance (which she has frequently needed, since she's much older than my husband and still must support herself) and a regular paycheck. When she wanted to move closer to her eldest daughter's family, WalMart accommodated her with a transfer to the nearly store. So y'all do what you want, but villainizing a single corporate outlet while ignoring tens of thousands of others doing business in similar fashion is just dumb, IMHO.
    Who says I am not villianizing anyone else too? Walmart is by far the worst. But I dont give any money to businesses that dont help the economic growth of America.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #103
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Why should money stay local?
    What does it matter?
    Oh I think keeping local economies strong is rather important.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If everyone did as you say, local economies couldn't grow, nor could they have access to resources outside of local access.
    Your view is incredibly short sited.
    More straw man hyperbole. Who the hell said "everyone should do like this". I sure as hell didn't and it is impossible to keep 100% of all money locally so all that is just ridiculous fantasy clap-trap that does nothing for your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #104
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,137
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Eggggzactly. Great post!
    Sure didn't effect voters in Georgia...

    So how come there aren't protests because you need an ID for welfare, medicare, food stamps?

    Are you telling me that there are people living on the streets hungry because they don't have an ID for food stamps and welfare? Wow, that seems like a much more pressing issue than voting... Wouldn't you say? So could you link me to what must be the hundreds of protests in support of those starving people who don't have ID's?

  5. #105
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I just want them to be able to feed themselves, without struggling.
    A basic human requirement for life, is eating enough to not die of disease.

    So yea, I want them to "live like us."
    If you call eating, "living like us."

    My humanistic views aren't limited to people, who're born in the same arbitrary land borders, that I am.
    And your premise for "living better" to eat better is to make more money rather than actually grow the food. You are not thinking rationally. You are only thinking fiscally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Oh I think keeping local economies strong is rather important.
    Good, then you should avoid the "local only" fallacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    More straw man hyperbole. Who the hell said "everyone should do like this". I sure as hell didn't and it is impossible to keep 100% of all money locally so all that is just ridiculous fantasy clap-trap that does nothing for your point.
    You said it's good to keep the money in the local economy, did you not.
    If we extend this to every other local economy, because you said it was good, what would the net effect be?

    Stop saying stupid things, then trying to dodge by calling out my supposed, "straw men."
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #107
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    And your premise for "living better" to eat better is to make more money rather than actually grow the food. You are not thinking rationally. You are only thinking fiscally.
    People with limited resources can't always acquire these resources without capital investment, aka money.
    So a poor person in Bangladesh, with no money and no land to grow more food, should just grow more food?

    Capital investment, especially from sources outside the local economy, can grow the local economy.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #108
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Good, then you should avoid the "local only" fallacy.



    You said it's good to keep the money in the local economy, did you not.
    If we extend this to every other local economy, because you said it was good, what would the net effect be?

    Stop saying stupid things, then trying to dodge by calling out my supposed, "straw men."
    You are fabricating stupid scenarios that are straw men. You cannot keep 100% of all local money locally. You extrapolating it to that it would be 100% is pointless. I never implied anything so nonsensical. Every town cannot make everything that everyone in that town purchases.

    Buy locally when you can. That doesn't mean the irrationally silly 100% crap you are trying to... yes... strawman into this discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #109
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    People with limited resources can't always acquire these resources without capital investment, aka money.
    So a poor person in Bangladesh, with no money and no land to grow more food, should just grow more food?

    Capital investment, especially from sources outside the local economy, can grow the local economy.
    Wow. I guess mankind never lived before money. I guess when God built the world 6,000 years ago, he put a few grand into Adam's fig leaf pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    You are fabricating stupid scenarios that are straw men. You cannot keep 100% of all local money locally. You extrapolating it to that it would be 100% is pointless. I never implied anything so nonsensical. Every town cannot make everything that everyone in that town purchases.

    Buy locally when you can. That doesn't mean the irrationally silly 100% crap you are trying to... yes... strawman into this discussion.
    You haven't demonstrated why someone should buy locally, when they can.
    Why, why, why?

    What reason should I buy locally?
    Why is the local merchant more deserving of my money, than a distant merchant?
    It's not 100% strawman, you keep stating that buying locally is better/good, why is it?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •