Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 163

Thread: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    07-17-12 @ 08:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    439

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    Democratic officials Wednesday launched a two-pronged attack on states with new laws requiring identification before voting, the highlight being a call to boycott Coke, Walmart and others that back a leading organization pushing for voter ID laws.
    Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws | Washington Examiner

    Voter ID laws seem common sense to me. It creates more confidence in the election results and reduces fraudulent voting.

    This push to boycott Walmart just makes me want to go there right now and buy several things. To start I could use some more ammo…9mm, 7.62 x 39mm, .308, and some shotgun shells.
    - 11% of Americans (21 million American adult citizens in 2000) don't have picture IDs according to a survey conducted by Brennan Center for Justice, NYU, 2006

    - 18% of all seniors don't have picture IDs (seniors traditionally have been the most consistent voting group)

    - 25% of African-Americans don't have picture IDs (in 2008, the rate of black turnout virtually equaled that of whites for the first time)

    - young adults aged 18 to 24 (in 2008, turnout of under-24-year-olds reached its highest rate since 1992)

    Can our conservative "friends" prove that that voter fraud is so widespread that it warrants dispensing with 11% of the electorate?

    Or is this more likely a thinly veiled attempt to target African-Americans and young adults aged 18 to 24, groups that just happen to be traditional Democratic supporters?

    http://www.npr.org/2012/01/28/146006...some-wont-vote
    Last edited by jgarden47; 04-04-12 at 05:54 PM.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    That whole schpeil of "they should just move" is always thrown out there by libertarians until it hits them and their family's traditions and generations of living on that land.
    You're not entitled to live somewhere forever, within your traditions, just because.
    You can't feed yourself, you need to find an alternative and not wallow in your misery.
    It's very unproductive.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #93
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Wealth is in constant flux.
    Do people in emerging economies not deserve to improve their living standards.
    There it goes again. Another claim of "improving" people because they need to live more like us. I'd rather our economies and governments be focused on improving our lives and standards first and foremost. If they want to be more like us, then they need to raise their standards to ours. Instead we apply free trade policies which lowers out standards to meet theirs. I'm not on board with you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #94
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden47 View Post
    - 11% of Americans (21 million American adult citizens in 2000) don't have picture IDs according to a survey conducted by Brennan Center for Justice, NYU, 2006

    - 18% of all seniors don't have picture IDs (seniors traditionally have been the most consistent voting group)

    - 25% of African-Americans don't have picture IDs (in 2008, the rate of black turnout virtually equaled that of whites for the first time)

    - young adults aged 18 to 24 (in 2008, turnout of under-24-year-olds reached its highest rate since 1992)

    Can our conservative "friends" prove that that voter fraud is so widespread that it warrants dispensing with 11% of the electorate?
    Or is this more likely a thinly veiled attempt to target African-Americans and young adults aged 18 to 24, groups that just happen to be traditional Democratic supporters?

    http://www.npr.org/2012/01/28/146006...some-wont-vote
    Can you prove that creating a voter ID law would "dispense of 11% of the electorate"? It's pretty dumb to assume that the 11% w/o idea would be unable to acquire ID in a timely manner prior to the next election cycle, assuming, of course, that the next election cycle isn't say...tomorrow.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #95
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You just moved the goal posts. Harry's response was in regards to somebody else's statement of "forced labor" in sweatshops. Or are you now calling Wal-Mart employees in the U.S. employees of "sweatshops"?
    The sweatshops were a reference to China I do believe. Not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #96
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'll have to find it, but there was a ban on child labor, in Bangladesh, IIRC and the rate of child prostitution went up.
    Very interesting find.

    But none the less, there are proven statistics on poverty in other nations.
    About half the worlds population lives on $2 or less a day.
    Spending 70% of their income on food.
    Allowing them and yes even their children to work, builds wealth for those impoverished individuals.



    Who said anything about changing their culture.
    We're talking about, not denying them opportunity based on some subjective view of exploitation.



    Meaningless quote.



    I don't expect anyone to "live like me" just don't cry like a baby, if your Walmart job doesn't pay enough.
    It's a basic job, not requiring any real specialized knowledge or abilities.

    You can't expect emerging economies to be able to instantly adopt American standards.
    It's not possible and just a retarded attempt at American protectionism.
    Your whole premise is that more money means better living no matter where in the world you are AND that $1 here =$1 everywhere. We are lowering our standards. Our policies should be for American standards first and foremost. You and your policies embrace lowering our standards more than "raising" their standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #97
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden47 View Post
    - 11% of Americans (21 million American adult citizens in 2000) don't have picture IDs according to a survey conducted by Brennan Center for Justice, NYU, 2006

    - 18% of all seniors don't have picture IDs (seniors traditionally have been the most consistent voting group)

    - 25% of African-Americans don't have picture IDs (in 2008, the rate of black turnout virtually equaled that of whites for the first time)

    - young adults aged 18 to 24 (in 2008, turnout of under-24-year-olds reached its highest rate since 1992)

    Can our conservative "friends" prove that that voter fraud is so widespread that it warrants dispensing with 11% of the electorate?

    Or is this more likely a thinly veiled attempt to target African-Americans and young adults aged 18 to 24, groups that just happen to be traditional Democratic supporters?

    http://www.npr.org/2012/01/28/146006...some-wont-vote

    Eggggzactly. Great post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Far more of the money spent locally stays local then if you buy at a giant retail store which funnels as much as they can back to HQ... Bentonville, AR in this case.
    Why should money stay local?
    What does it matter?

    If everyone did as you say, local economies couldn't grow, nor could they have access to resources outside of local access.
    Your view is incredibly short sited.

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    That doesn't belay the point that it is in fact hard physical labor. Which is what you are implying it wasn't in the thread I was replying to.
    It doesn't require much more than, can do basic counting, reading and lifting some sorta heavy stuff.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #99
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    You're not entitled to live somewhere forever, within your traditions, just because.
    You can't feed yourself, you need to find an alternative and not wallow in your misery.
    It's very unproductive.
    Never said anyone was "entitled" (a favorite right-wing term always bandy'd about pointlessly) to live somewhere forever. Your straw men are getting even bigger making your point even smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #100
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,683
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Democrats boycott Coke, Walmart over voter ID laws

    I realize this has turned into an anti-WalMart rant, but I'd like to address the OP issue. It is absolutely ludicrous to boycott any company because they agree with legislation passed by any state. Ludicrous. I don't even get this ID-to-vote flap in the first place. Of course people should present valid photo ID to vote, just like they have to present one to fly, open a bank account, verify a check, any number of things that ordinary citizens and legal immigrants have to do in everyday life.

    I mean, dude! Are "democrats" trying to say that unless we give every warm body that shows up at the polls a ballot, we are "oppressing" people? Come on! We might as well send absentee ballots to every adult in this hemesphere and half of Europe so they too can have a say in who we elect.

    As for WalMart, boycott if you want. WalMart won't really feel it. My sister-in-law has worked for WalMart for 20 years, ever since she grew old enough that nobody else would hire her. She's been given good benefits, including health insurance (which she has frequently needed, since she's much older than my husband and still must support herself) and a regular paycheck. When she wanted to move closer to her eldest daughter's family, WalMart accommodated her with a transfer to the nearly store. So y'all do what you want, but villainizing a single corporate outlet while ignoring tens of thousands of others doing business in similar fashion is just dumb, IMHO.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •