Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 192

Thread: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

  1. #11
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    It amazes me to see people bitch about the pittance of government backed loans to solar when I never see them make a thread about how the government backed loans for far far far more to the nuclear power industry has a 50% risk of default...
    No one has even built one in 30 years. The data on that risk of default is 30 years old. How could anyone possibly consider that data valid?
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  2. #12
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,933

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    No one has even built one in 30 years. The data on that risk of default is 30 years old. How could anyone possibly consider that data valid?

    Plant Vogtle expansion $42 million over budget, five months behind schedule, Georgia Power says
    November 22, 2011

    ATLANTA | Georgia Power executives say construction costs for the planned expansion of Plant Vogtle are $42 million over budget.

    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that company officials said delays in gaining federal approval to build the two reactors may push back the construction schedule roughly five months.

    Company executive Pete Ivey said the rise in construction costs is partly related to a change in what labor may cost. Ivey is vice president of nuclear development support for Georgia Power's sister company, Southern Nuclear.

    Georgia Power officials said the increased costs don't impact the total cost of the project and will not appear on customer bills. The estimated cost of the project is $14 billion.
    Last edited by poweRob; 04-04-12 at 11:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    I don't mind loan guarantees ( it's better than subsidies anyways) for some of this stuff.... nuclear especially.

    ....but not loans guarantees for something that is cheaper to import from Chinese... that just stupid.

  4. #14
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Plant Vogtle expansion $42 million over budget, five months behind schedule, Georgia Power says
    November 22, 2011

    ATLANTA | Georgia Power executives say construction costs for the planned expansion of Plant Vogtle are $42 million over budget.

    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that company officials said delays in gaining federal approval to build the two reactors may push back the construction schedule roughly five months.

    Company executive Pete Ivey said the rise in construction costs is partly related to a change in what labor may cost. Ivey is vice president of nuclear development support for Georgia Power's sister company, Southern Nuclear.

    Georgia Power officials said the increased costs don't impact the total cost of the project and will not appear on customer bills. The estimated cost of the project is $14 billion.
    Well, this cost overrun looks like a drop in the bucket so far. Of course there's always a risk of default in any massive project, but I still hope it works. To get off foreign oil we'll need lots of solutions operating in tandem. It will include nuclear, wind, solar, geo-thermal, and wave solutions. Another important factor will be the introduction of Electric Vehicles (EV). They will seriously cut back on our need for oil from unstable regions and hostile nations. But at the same time, these will cause a significant increase in electricity demand. So that means we're seriously going to need new nuclear plants to support the increased load. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this new plant is successful. If it does, it will open the doors for even more nuclear plants. And that will be a good thing for America. With a little more support for alternative energies, even wind and solar should find it easier to get started.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  5. #15
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,933

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    Well, this cost overrun looks like a drop in the bucket so far. Of course there's always a risk of default in any massive project, but I still hope it works. To get off foreign oil we'll need lots of solutions operating in tandem. It will include nuclear, wind, solar, geo-thermal, and wave solutions. Another important factor will be the introduction of Electric Vehicles (EV). They will seriously cut back on our need for oil from unstable regions and hostile nations. But at the same time, these will cause a significant increase in electricity demand. So that means we're seriously going to need new nuclear plants to support the increased load. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this new plant is successful. If it does, it will open the doors for even more nuclear plants. And that will be a good thing for America. With a little more support for alternative energies, even wind and solar should find it easier to get started.
    I think that nukes are pointless and not needed. We don't really have much of an electrical energy crunch as is and of what we already make, more than 50% is lost in transmission and through the ground in your house. Spend the money shielding the lines for more efficient transmission and save a bundle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #16
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I think that nukes are pointless and not needed. We don't really have much of an electrical energy crunch as is and of what we already make, more than 50% is lost in transmission and through the ground in your house. Spend the money shielding the lines for more efficient transmission and save a bundle.
    I've read about 7% transmission loss, but never 50%. Got a link for that?

    We don't currently have an electricity problem, but if EVs become popular, that will change in a big way. With gas prices climbing out of control, I would say it is a certainty. My personal guess is that we'll see an EV boom within 5 - 10 years. When that happens, we WILL see an electricity problem. Knowing that building a nuclear plant takes 4 years if all goes well, it would be a good idea to start building now. I don't want to take away from solar plants. We'll need those too, especially since they can be brought on line faster than nuclear. But until better storage systems can be produced, solar will have to be a support system to augment other systems, like nuclear and NG.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  7. #17
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I still don't understand why the government would support start-upcompanies to do this research. I wonder if we did that during the space race. It would seem to me that supporting good, strong companies who have extensive programs in place would be a wiser use of tax dollars.

    The private sector has venture capitalists who are eager to support these new companies -- if they're sound. The free market works much better at sponsoring new technology than the White House.
    Not quite. VCs generally don't invest in firms that don't have abnormally high potential rates of return. Utility companies tend to have mundane, but predictable ROI.That's really not the type of companies VCs go for. Furthermore, VCs, unlike many people here, know that the US for the most part isn't playing giving US companies a fair playing field. We don't give them cut rate loans. We don't exempt them from pollution standards. We don't give them cut rate utility prices. It's hard to compete with the rest of the world when the US government basically arms our solar firms with a wooden sword and sends them into an arena against opponents armed with lightsabers. US solar is being outclassed because it simply does not have the kind of support that other foreign firms do.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #18
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Solar companies are going Bankrupt all over the planet, with or without DOE loans.
    Despite a fast growing market.
    The Chinese have targeted this industry as strategic an one they will win.
    No one can compete with a phony low Yuan, now add in their govt doing whatever it takes to win.. and destroy everyone else.
    For a decade+ our govt has let the Chinese get away with this and a boatload else.
    They have waged and are winning, Economic War.
    But lets blame the 'socialist' Obama.


    First Solar (FSLR) Stock Suffers from Spate of Industry Bankruptcies
    StreetInsider.com - First Solar (FSLR) Stock Suffers from Spate of Industry Bankruptcies
    April 3, 2012
    Why don't you stop defending that idiot? He should have known that before putting our tax dollars in it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #19
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why don't you stop defending that idiot? He should have known that before putting our tax dollars in it.
    The only idiotic thing to do is fail to fight back. WE should be the one's exporting the latest and greatest energy technology, not China. Only an idiot would fail to support an industry with so many lucrative contracts around the world. China isn't killing a chance at huge money just to deface one of their political figures. Their going balls out to WIN economically, and that's what we should be doing, not pissing in our own sandbox.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Solar company bankrupt despite 'win-win' DOE loan

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    The only idiotic thing to do is fail to fight back. WE should be the one's exporting the latest and greatest energy technology, not China. Only an idiot would fail to support an industry with so many lucrative contracts around the world. China isn't killing a chance at huge money just to deface one of their political figures. Their going balls out to WIN economically, and that's what we should be doing, not pissing in our own sandbox.
    If those business were as wonderful as you say, they wouldn't be going bankrupt.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •