Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

  1. #11
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,601

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Maybe the Justice Dept is part of the Obama Administration?
    Of course it is.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    That is one sad commentary
    The people that feel that way are sad.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #13
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Seems like a little overkill for what was essentially a gaffe.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  4. #14
    Educator snilloctjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    El Paso, TX USA
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    648

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Seems like a little overkill for what was essentially a gaffe.
    "a gaffe"?
    Joe Biden asking the guy in the wheel chair to stand up. That was a gaffe
    Candidate Obama visiting 57 states with one more to go. That was a gaffe

    The President's pronouncements on this topic, given his MUCH touted Constitutional prowess, hardly qualifies as "essentially a gaffe"
    Silent sobs
    Invisible tears
    Life enveloped
    in unspoken fears.

  5. #15
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    bahahaha I love it! The court basically said they have the power to relegate him to a mere 9th grade nobody. This is why you don't pick fights with the Courts, mr. president!

  6. #16
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    "a gaffe"?
    Joe Biden asking the guy in the wheel chair to stand up. That was a gaffe
    Candidate Obama visiting 57 states with one more to go. That was a gaffe

    The President's pronouncements on this topic, given his MUCH touted Constitutional prowess, hardly qualifies as "essentially a gaffe"
    So you think Obama actually believes SCOTUS has no power to strike laws? I think that's more than a little far fetched. If he doesn't, it's a gaffe. Nobody was hurt by Obama's comments. People need to calm down.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  7. #17
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    So you think Obama actually believes SCOTUS has no power to strike laws? I think that's more than a little far fetched. If he doesn't, it's a gaffe. Nobody was hurt by Obama's comments. People need to calm down.
    Funny thing happens to people... they start believing their handlers and their own press. Ego's a funny thing and at some level I think Obama thought his words could influence the court. Did he believe they didn't have the power to strike law? Not sure... he may have thought he would or could prevent them from striking the law, until he figured it out the next day and walked it back. Maybe he didn't mean it that way at all.... but it sure came across that way.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #18
    Educator snilloctjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    El Paso, TX USA
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    648

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    So you think Obama actually believes SCOTUS has no power to strike laws? I think that's more than a little far fetched. If he doesn't, it's a gaffe. Nobody was hurt by Obama's comments. People need to calm down.
    I don't know what he actually believes, but it is clear what he said. Sorry it can't be had both ways. He cannot present himself as a "Constitutional Scholar" and than say the Supreme Court will not take the EXTRAORDINARY and UNPRECEDENTED step of over turning a law passed by an OVERWHELMING majority of elected... Either he has no clue what he is saying, and therefore is no constitutional scholar, or he is a scholar and this is his belief about the role of the SC. Now tell me which is it?

    Personally I believe that is what he really thinks ought to be, it would be in keeping with other actions of his while President
    Silent sobs
    Invisible tears
    Life enveloped
    in unspoken fears.

  9. #19
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,601

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Funny thing happens to people... they start believing their handlers and their own press. Ego's a funny thing and at some level I think Obama thought his words could influence the court. Did he believe they didn't have the power to strike law? Not sure... he may have thought he would or could prevent them from striking the law, until he figured it out the next day and walked it back. Maybe he didn't mean it that way at all.... but it sure came across that way.
    Nah. He was just engaging in the not-too-sophisticated game of "it'd be a shame if you guys went down in history as doing something unprecedentedly crappy. A real shame, for sure. You don't want to be those guys, do you?"
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #20
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Appeals Court Fires Back At Obama's Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    I don't know what he actually believes, but it is clear what he said. Sorry it can't be had both ways. He cannot present himself as a "Constitutional Scholar" and than say the Supreme Court will not take the EXTRAORDINARY and UNPRECEDENTED step of over turning a law passed by an OVERWHELMING majority of elected... Either he has no clue what he is saying, and therefore is no constitutional scholar, or he is a scholar and this is his belief about the role of the SC. Now tell me which is it?
    It is neither. He is a constitutional scholar who was inarticulate for a moment. Even informed people every once and a while say things they don't mean. The one difference is most scholars don't have every word they utter in public recorded. Enough with the hackery.

    What Obama said:

    "I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress."

    The law was passed by a majority of a democractically elected Congress. Overturning the law would be an unprecedented and an extraordinary step, because it would reverse 100 years of SCOTUS precedent. The mistake was in connecting the two points to make it seem as if overturning the law would be unprecedented because it was passed by a majority of Congress.

    Taking this remark seriously is just as bad as taking Romney's remark that he doesn't care about poor people seriously. It's stupid hackery. End of story.

    Personally I believe that is what he really thinks ought to be, it would be in keeping with other actions of his while President
    You have been watching too much FoxNews.

    Also, "thinks ought to be" makes no sense. Luckily, I don't take that to mean you have no grasp of the English language.
    Last edited by Cameron; 04-05-12 at 02:48 PM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •