Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: Detroit High School Protest: Students Suspended After Demanding 'An Education' (edite

  1. #11
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I agree to an extent. But when you spend more time at school than at home, as all kids do, the quality of school can have a huge impact. A good after school program with a couple of teachers who give a crap could go a long way in these areas where the parents historically don't give a crap.
    So could getting rid of the so-called students whose only "job" at school is one of intimidation.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #12
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I agree to an extent. But when you spend more time at school than at home, as all kids do, the quality of school can have a huge impact. A good after school program with a couple of teachers who give a crap could go a long way in these areas where the parents historically don't give a crap.
    If the kids resort to trouble after school instead - I see your point.

    'Failing' in school - or being failed by the school (on a personal level) - doesn't mean the kids are hoodlums all of a sudden.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #13
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    If someone could tell me why this is, please do. I'm going to guess that its the teachers being held to a higher standard. You can say its money all you want but its been proven time and again that money never fixes bad education. All the new schools, computers, etc in the world won't fix a bad teacher or principal.
    I'm going to guess it's parental interest and involvement. All the good teachers and principals in the world won't fix a broken home environment.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #14
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    While I agree with you on this, in general I don't really like the notion of people pretending to know that they know the problems of the black community- or any community for that matter. While there may be obvious problems, there are problems that no one talks about such as the historical, economic, and psychological affects of slavery. As well as the co-optation of the Civil Rights Movement. Please note that I am not saying that black people should just blame their problems on these things and not try to improve. I'm just saying that there are seriously deep problems in the black community that are much deeper than just chronic fatherlessness. We need to understand- truly understand- how black people got here in order for us to begin thinking of ways to solve our problems.

    On another note, I completely and totally agree that students should demand an education. High school students on up need to be flooding their Congressional representatives with letters demanding a quality education that prepares us for the future and to be intelligent, competitive and think outside the box in a globalized economy. If we can consistently find money for wars, subsidies to massive corporations, and bailouts for banks, than I think that we can find the money to invest in the intellectual infrastructure of our nation. Believe it or not, these kids are going to be leading the country one day and we should do everything in our power to make sure that we have the best and the brightest minds available to make sure that this nation succeeds.
    Sorry bud, but I'm not buying the slavery thing anymore. It can only go so far. How long does it take to recover from something? Jewish people have, by far, endured the most cataclysmic events in the history of any race. Yet, they prosper.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #15
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Public schools are so hit or miss. My son went to a DOD school prior to the one he's in now and its night and day difference. DOD schools are so far advanced compared to public schools. I don't know why. The children come from all walks of life so its not a historical trend of good education. If someone could tell me why this is, please do. I'm going to guess that its the teachers being held to a higher standard. You can say its money all you want but its been proven time and again that money never fixes bad education. All the new schools, computers, etc in the world won't fix a bad teacher or principal.
    I'd say the problem is primarily geographical and economic in nature. I'm making a bit of a sweeping generalization here, but inner city schools are usually crap because they are poorly funded (which is in turn due to the fact that the neighborhoods are poor.) As a result, they don't have the best equipment and facilities, nor are they really able to hold on to the best teachers.

    Also, yes, committed parents make a huge difference, but many parents in the lower and working classes are either incapable of, or unable to, give their children sufficient support when it comes to school.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #16
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    If the kids resort to trouble after school instead - I see your point.

    'Failing' in school - or being failed by the school (on a personal level) - doesn't mean the kids are hoodlums all of a sudden.
    By after school programs I mean a program where kids get the help they would normally get from their parents. I'm sure this is being attempted somewhere so I'm not going to act like I'm some kind of revolutionary. I know kids don't automatically turn into hoodlums. That wasn't my point about it. I was just saying the after school program could give them help with homework that they normally don't get.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #17
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    By after school programs I mean a program where kids get the help they would normally get from their parents. I'm sure this is being attempted somewhere so I'm not going to act like I'm some kind of revolutionary. I know kids don't automatically turn into hoodlums. That wasn't my point about it. I was just saying the after school program could give them help with homework that they normally don't get.
    True.

    In the OP I think it's interesting that they cite a lack of homework (etc) as a reason for the school slipping.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #18
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I'd say the problem is primarily geographical and economic in nature. I'm making a bit of a sweeping generalization here, but inner city schools are usually crap because they are poorly funded (which is in turn due to the fact that the neighborhoods are poor.) As a result, they don't have the best equipment and facilities, nor are they really able to hold on to the best teachers.

    Also, yes, committed parents make a huge difference, but many parents in the lower and working classes are either incapable of, or unable to, give their children sufficient support when it comes to school.
    I see your point with the parent thing. However, I think a parent that gives a crap can overcome a lack of time. Having a child isn't always easy and we have a responsibility to give them everything we have. It sucks sometimes when you'd rather just sit down and relax after a long day but its part of the deal. I know that I will reach a point where my child is learning stuff I don't remember well enough to help him at home. But at least pointing him in the right direction to get help, encouraging him to make good grades, and giving him consequences for not making them goes a lot further than leaving him to fend for himself.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  9. #19
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Sorry bud, but I'm not buying the slavery thing anymore. It can only go so far. How long does it take to recover from something? Jewish people have, by far, endured the most cataclysmic events in the history of any race. Yet, they prosper.
    The residual effects of slavery and Jim Crow racism are definitely still with us today. It has only been within the past generation that a significant proportion of black households have been able to accumulate a degree of wealth and transition into the middle and upper classes.

    As for the Jews, it's simply not a good comparison for a variety of historical reasons, not least of which is the fact that the world Jewry as a whole has been able to accumulate wealth and resources for centuries.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #20
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What blacks should be protesting: Detroit high students revolt against staff

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    True.

    In the OP I think it's interesting that they cite a lack of homework (etc) as a reason for the school slipping.
    Agreed. I thought that was interesting as well. The lack of teachers is what really shocked me. I couldn't imagine my kid showing up to school and having no teacher.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •