Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 161

Thread: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

  1. #1
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    I know that some may not see this as a big deal. For someone in the military, it is huge. Carrying your personal weapon (whether a 9mm pistol, M-4, or M-16A4) while "in country" is standard. As a matter of fact, you cannot enter any messhall without a weapon. The level of distrust shown to the Marines that wanted to meet SECDEF Panetta is just another in a long line of disrespectful moves towards our military by the current administration. I understand if we are meeting the POTUS, we lay down weapons. His office is a political one and can sew discourse in troops that don't approve of his policies. However, the SECDEF is not a political office. In fact, he is overall responsible for voicing the opinions and needs of the very people that were required to disarm to meet him!
    In addition, the General that gave the order to disarm is a pinhead. Many of our General's now-a-days are out of touch, snotty, 10 pound brain types who know nothing of the dirt we chew on the ground. Many of these men have not actually fought in combat. The most combat action they have seen is of the incidental type that happens to occur on their tours of the Area of Operations (AO). These men have read a few books, been to a school or two, and declare themselves "masters of the COIN environment". Sadly, history is repeating itelf in Afghanistan. Vietnam was THE demonstration of what happens when senior officers become involved in lower level decisions. Apparently none of our General's read that in any book.
    So, what say you. Is it disrespectful for the SECDEF and Major General Gurganus to require the Marines to lay down their arms?
    Marines told to disarm before Panetta speech – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    Completely disrespectful. That's total bull****. The REMF who made the men disarm needs to be reassigned to Adak (or west Texas).
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  3. #3
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,189

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    It's not like there haven't been troops running amok lately, and somebody welcomed him in country by driving a blazing car onto the runway when he landed. You can see why the possibility of a firefight in the hall didn't appeal.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #4
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    I think it's pretty telling when a government doesn't trust not only their citizens, but even their own soldiers to be armed in their presence.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  5. #5
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    It's not like there haven't been troops running amok lately, and somebody welcomed him in country by driving a blazing car onto the runway when he landed. You can see why the possibility of a firefight in the hall didn't appeal.
    The blazing car was driven by an Afghan interpreter. If it had been a Marine, I could see the logic. Troops have not been "running amock". We have had 2 negligent incidents. The Quran burning wasn't a deliberate act. Dead guys getting peed on? Whatever. The rampage the Army guy just went on? Yes, that is an incident to make a big deal out of. But the actions taken by the SECDEF and d-bag General were over the top knee jerk reactions that have become typical of the military hiearchy as of late. I see your point. However, when you have Generals walking the streets of Afghanistan with no body armor on and no weapon to show the population they trust them, can't the SECDEF walk into a tent with some Marines while they hold their unloaded weapons?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    I think it's pretty telling when a government doesn't trust not only their citizens, but even their own soldiers to be armed in their presence.
    Agreed. We're just circling the bowl.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    dont see where marines need to be disarmed,senators have visited various posts in afghanistan,general petraeus visits all the posts and eats with all the soldiers,but maybe all of them trusted the soldiers more than they did the local population.

    but then again obama during his speach after the fort hood shooting had secret service search all soldiers who came to view his speech,so if obama is deadly afraid of unarmed soldiers its no surprise someone would be scared of them when they were armed.


    btw obama for his fort hood shooting speack had a wall built around the field made of steel connexes stacked on eachother,if requiring a steel barricade to talk to his own people doesnt say scared nothing does.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  8. #8
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    It's not like there haven't been troops running amok lately, and somebody welcomed him in country by driving a blazing car onto the runway when he landed. You can see why the possibility of a firefight in the hall didn't appeal.
    Are you really going to stand by something this clueless? Troops? One troop, wasn't it, hyperbole much? The blazing vehicle had what to do with firearms? Duh....
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I know that some may not see this as a big deal. For someone in the military, it is huge. Carrying your personal weapon (whether a 9mm pistol, M-4, or M-16A4) while "in country" is standard. As a matter of fact, you cannot enter any messhall without a weapon. The level of distrust shown to the Marines that wanted to meet SECDEF Panetta is just another in a long line of disrespectful moves towards our military by the current administration. I understand if we are meeting the POTUS, we lay down weapons. His office is a political one and can sew discourse in troops that don't approve of his policies. However, the SECDEF is not a political office. In fact, he is overall responsible for voicing the opinions and needs of the very people that were required to disarm to meet him!
    In addition, the General that gave the order to disarm is a pinhead. Many of our General's now-a-days are out of touch, snotty, 10 pound brain types who know nothing of the dirt we chew on the ground. Many of these men have not actually fought in combat. The most combat action they have seen is of the incidental type that happens to occur on their tours of the Area of Operations (AO). These men have read a few books, been to a school or two, and declare themselves "masters of the COIN environment". Sadly, history is repeating itelf in Afghanistan. Vietnam was THE demonstration of what happens when senior officers become involved in lower level decisions. Apparently none of our General's read that in any book.
    So, what say you. Is it disrespectful for the SECDEF and Major General Gurganus to require the Marines to lay down their arms?
    Marines told to disarm before Panetta speech – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

    This was done just not to offend the Afghan Soldiers there who weren't allowed to carry weapons, basically it was just a political decision to not make the Afghans feel they were different from American even though of course they are. It has NOTHING to do with trust.

    Clearly you didn't actually read your own source which states

    Gurganus later told reporters the decision had nothing to do with the weekend shooting, and said it was because the Afghan soldiers in attendance were unarmed and he did not want them treated differently than the Marines.

    A senior defense official told CNN that Gurganus made the decision to have all coalition troops disarm on Tuesday, but "the order never got passed down the line to the individual units. So, unfortunately, it wasn't until all the Marines were sitting down Wednesday that anyone realized what the general really wanted. It looked bad. But at that point they needed to comply with the order."

    Several Marines said they had never seen a situation like this, although they do not believe the decision resulted from any security concerns. The senior defense official said Gurganus was under orders to make partnership a priority, and he felt that "it wouldn't be right to have armed Marines sitting next to unarmed Afghan soldiers. He wants to promote the mission of partnership."
    I certainly hope no one else invents meaning or reasons behind this which have no basis in any sources, purely for partisanship.

  10. #10
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Marines forced to disarm before meeting secdef panetta

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This was done just not to offend the Afghan Soldiers there who weren't allowed to carry weapons, basically it was just a political decision to not make the Afghans feel they were different from American even though of course they are. It has NOTHING to do with trust.

    Clearly you didn't actually read your own source which states



    I certainly hope no one else invents meaning or reasons behind this which have no basis in any sources, purely for partisanship.
    As it was said above, and as I have experienced personally, many high ranking officials have been to Iraq and Afghanistan and not done this. I met General Patreus in a sheik's house in Sadr City Baghdad with a condition 1 weapon (round in the chamber) surrounded by 5 Iraqi Scouts in Condition 1 and he didn't even blink. In addition, screw what the Afghani's think. Let me ask you this, what do you think left more of an impression? The impression on those handful of Afghan soldiers that we view them as equal and so we'll lay down our arms too or the impression the young Marines took, with all that is going on right now around them and all the controversy surrounding the military, that their SECDEF required them to disarm. I know Marines, I've been around them for 12 years. They don't care what the reason was. All they know is, in order to meet this guy who's supposed to look out for them they had to lay down the very weapons he requires they pick up. That leaves a wound that won't heal with me and I wasn't even there.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •