Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 336

Thread: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

  1. #11
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-12 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    95

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    Opportunity Cost,

    I am pretty sure this post was not something you grasped. It had nothing to do with the stimulus in any way.
    Oh but it does.

    What liberal out there has not been saying over and over that Obama's stimulus is what turned the economy around? They say this because they believe in Keynesianism, and that spending money is what turned the economy around.

    So, if the spending under the stimulus was what helped our economy, you should not be surprised at all that the top 1% benefited more than the rest of us, because they are the ones who wrote and approved the stimulus, and therefore, got all the money.
    "You can't save time. You can only spend it." ~ Benjamin Hoff
    Demand moderation - Occupy TPL!

  2. #12
    Guru
    JP Hochbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by MOrion View Post
    Oh but it does.

    What liberal out there has not been saying over and over that Obama's stimulus is what turned the economy around? They say this because they believe in Keynesianism, and that spending money is what turned the economy around.

    So, if the spending under the stimulus was what helped our economy, you should not be surprised at all that the top 1% benefited more than the rest of us, because they are the ones who wrote and approved the stimulus, and therefore, got all the money.
    I am not concerned with what the Obamabots say.

    The study was done in 2010 it doesn't mean it measures just the effects of the stimulus. It has measured the trend since 1980, when Keynesian economics have ended.
    My blog, where I talk latest news on economics and some other issues.

    http://hereticaldruthers.wordpress.com/

  3. #13
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,709

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    And where are those jobs again?????
    I don't have a duty to create a job for you nor do I have a duty to pay more taxes so you can have stuff you want that you aren't willing to pay for

  4. #14
    Guru
    JP Hochbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't have a duty to create a job for you nor do I have a duty to pay more taxes so you can have stuff you want that you aren't willing to pay for
    I am not asking you to do such a thing. In fact I want lower taxes for you. If I had asked you to pay higher taxes anywhere then please let me know so I could correct that.
    Last edited by JP Hochbaum; 03-05-12 at 11:21 PM. Reason: correcting whom
    My blog, where I talk latest news on economics and some other issues.

    http://hereticaldruthers.wordpress.com/

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Now that it's an election year I assume we can expect the left to give credit to Obama for "the recovery" while blaming Republicans for where the income gains during it actually went.

  6. #16
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-12 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    95

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    I am not concerned with what the Obamabots say.

    The study was done in 2010 it doesn't mean it measures just the effects of the stimulus. It has measured the trend since 1980, when Keynesian economics have ended.
    That doesn't change the fact that the stimulus package is what led the recovery. So, you should expect that in 2010, its effects would be apparent, and those effects are that the politically well-connected got their backs scratched, and the rest of us got left out.

    To have a recovery that includes everyone, you would have to have some sort of initiative that put lots of people back to work in America. That would create some competition for laborers, and raise their wages. The stimulus didn't do that, and nothing else put forth by the President, or any part of the government, would either.
    "You can't save time. You can only spend it." ~ Benjamin Hoff
    Demand moderation - Occupy TPL!

  7. #17
    Guru
    JP Hochbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by MOrion View Post
    That doesn't change the fact that the stimulus package is what led the recovery. So, you should expect that in 2010, its effects would be apparent, and those effects are that the politically well-connected got their backs scratched, and the rest of us got left out.

    To have a recovery that includes everyone, you would have to have some sort of initiative that put lots of people back to work in America. That would create some competition for laborers, and raise their wages. The stimulus didn't do that, and nothing else put forth by the President, or any part of the government, would either.
    The stimulus still has nothing to do with this conversation. The trend started in 1980, when trickle down started, Obama was in his 20's and thus has nothing to do with current tax structure.
    My blog, where I talk latest news on economics and some other issues.

    http://hereticaldruthers.wordpress.com/

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    Then in 1980 trickle down policies started and have continued. And since then the gap in earnings has not only been immoral but also non existant for wage earners.
    I am somewhat confused considering this excerpt from your link:

    The difference between the business cycle of the 1990s and the 2000s is that the incomes of the bottom 99% grew by 20% between 1993 and 2000, but only by 6.8% between 2002 and 2007.

    The 20% gain in 1993-2000 was AFTER the ‘1980 trickle down policies’ you reference. I fail to see your point. Further, are you suggesting something that will address this (as I missed it also)?

  9. #19
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    are you guys even reading this????
    Welcome to political forums. Nobody reads the OP link. These are places for partisan reactions, not thoughtful conversations.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  10. #20
    Guru
    JP Hochbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Over 90% of the income gains in the first year of the recovery went to the top 1%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    I am somewhat confused considering this excerpt from your link:

    The difference between the business cycle of the 1990s and the 2000s is that the incomes of the bottom 99% grew by 20% between 1993 and 2000, but only by 6.8% between 2002 and 2007.

    The 20% gain in 1993-2000 was AFTER the ‘1980 trickle down policies’ you reference. I fail to see your point. Further, are you suggesting something that will address this (as I missed it also)?
    Yes, it is called the internet. I suggest you check out sites like Google and what not to search for how it works.
    My blog, where I talk latest news on economics and some other issues.

    http://hereticaldruthers.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •