Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    There will always be certain quantities of oil to be found, but world demand increases by some millions of barrels per day in addition to the pre-existing demand. At some point we will have to decide just how much we want to carve up the earth to look for diminishing supplies. Eventually we will return to a state where there won't be enough oil to service the entire infrastructure, and only privileged areas will receive it.

    Oil should have already been reserved for special uses in the first place, and if we're smart we will have more nuclear energy by the time that becomes a reality.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    33 billion barrels were just discovered off the coast of Brazil a few years ago. Did you hear about that?
    LOLOL..

    I don't have a problem with the US being concerned.. and working to reduce usage or being more efficient.. I have a problem with stupid hysteria.

    I just this week replaced my 18 year old heating system.. and wow.. is it more efficient.

  3. #13
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Damn! You're just now catching on? You had to wait until some tree-hugger rag sheet told you?
    El Reg is a tree hugger rag sheet? When did that happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I'd be happy to be wrong about oil. But I think a lot of people will believe and insist that supply will virtually always meet our needs, and when it doesn't we'll invent a magical replacement.
    We need to invent the magical replacement before we start running out, of course. We will find some other form of power, we have to, and I'm glad there are a lot of governments and smart companies investing in the research for it. We just need to find it sooner rather than later.

    It's good to know that supply got a boost, though.

    And I never understood people who doubt the concept that, sooner or later, we'll run out. The Earth doesn't produce it as fast as we use it. Seems like pretty simple math, to me.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    33 billion barrels were just discovered off the coast of Brazil a few years ago. Did you hear about that?
    Maybe. The Tupi? Or something else?

    If it's Tupi, I've read that the upper estimates are closer to 8 billion barrels of recoverable oil. Enough to meet global demand for about three months.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 02-24-12 at 01:43 AM.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by BooRadley View Post
    We need to invent the magical replacement before we start running out, of course.
    What we really need to do is learn how to fly by flapping our arms really fast.

    In other words, what convinces you this is even possible in the first place? Energy is not created out of nothing. Even if we can derive electrical currents, storage is a huge problem.

    We will find some other form of power, we have to, and I'm glad there are a lot of governments and smart companies investing in the research for it.
    I hear God is also devoting some time to this predicament. Thank goodness for God. God is great!

    In other words, you are basing your attitude on this topic in faith, and nothing more. Consider that you could be wrong and that there may be no solution whatsoever. Then what?

    It's good to know that supply got a boost, though.
    Agreed. The more time I have, the better.

    And I never understood people who doubt the concept that, sooner or later, we'll run out. The Earth doesn't produce it as fast as we use it. Seems like pretty simple math, to me.
    Consider that all alternative energies accumulate very slowly, and we're using 150 MILLION years worth of accumulation (solar) in a few hundred years. Then we run out and say "welp, better INVENT a new source of energy." That is delusional. It is not going to happen.

  6. #16
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Then we run out and say "welp, better INVENT a new source of energy." That is delusional. It is not going to happen.
    Invent or discover a new process for something? That's never happened before? Seriously? There's 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms of material on/in the Earth, and you don't think we can find a way to use any of it to produce energy, except fossil fuels? And I'm delusional?

  7. #17
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by BooRadley View Post
    [
    Anyway, I wouldn't say it's time to drop all sustainability planning just yet, but it is good to hear that we're not on the verge of collapse. Until synthetic hydrocarbons or some other form of safe, renewable energy is developed, this is a nice buffer on available oil supplies. Plus, it takes the heat off of drilling in places like ANWAR, where the value of maintaining some of the last few pristine pieces of land is a high price to pay to get another few years of leaving the lights on without caring about it.

    Not that I don't like the idea of energy efficient hybrids, efficiently designed buildings, and well planned public transport -- all great ideas -- just that I like my fast v8 and I'm not ready to give it up to live in a tree just yet.
    I love the idea of hybrids and efficiency, it's just that most people who can barely afford gasoline, sure as hell can't afford to buy a hybrid. This is where the good idea splits with the reality of the situation for alot of everyday working people.

    Thanks for posting- first I've seen of this.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #18
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I love the idea of hybrids and efficiency, it's just that most people who can barely afford gasoline, sure as hell can't afford to buy a hybrid. This is where the good idea splits with the reality of the situation for alot of everyday working people.

    Thanks for posting- first I've seen of this.
    Hybrids are turning out to be a bigger enviro-fail than fossil fuel engines. There was a study done in a more heavy alternative drive country, China I believe and they showed that carbon output was indeed down but particulate matter pollution was up such as lithium particulates and other heavy pollutants. I think hydrogen is a way to go and I've also heard that there is a push for magnetic motors and think that shows much more promise than situational vehicles like electrics and solar.

    The hardest sell is price, availability, and functionality. Solar cars are not viable in bad weather situations, electrics have insufficient range for most areas, hybrids are a real bitch to maintain due to battery costs, the dual drive function, and the sensors required to resupply the battery(it's fine when the car is new, but after ten years..............).
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #19
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Hybrids are turning out to be a bigger enviro-fail than fossil fuel engines. There was a study done in a more heavy alternative drive country, China I believe and they showed that carbon output was indeed down but particulate matter pollution was up such as lithium particulates and other heavy pollutants. I think hydrogen is a way to go and I've also heard that there is a push for magnetic motors and think that shows much more promise than situational vehicles like electrics and solar.

    The hardest sell is price, availability, and functionality. Solar cars are not viable in bad weather situations, electrics have insufficient range for most areas, hybrids are a real bitch to maintain due to battery costs, the dual drive function, and the sensors required to resupply the battery(it's fine when the car is new, but after ten years..............).
    Yeah, that's why I like the idea, and not the reality of the situation. Besides the cost up front, the maintenance is prohibitive, and they aren't what they were initially touted to be.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #20
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yeah, that's why I like the idea, and not the reality of the situation. Besides the cost up front, the maintenance is prohibitive, and they aren't what they were initially touted to be.
    Gotcha. The biggest two issues I've seen about the most promising tech(hydro) is the idea that if there is a disruption during the conversion process there could be a really bad explosion, I think that's an easy enough fix for our best and brightest. The other issues were inefficiencies due to the law of thermodynamics but I say that's also easy enough, up the displacement and take the loss, gas engines started out slow and inefficient as well. I've been thinking long and hard about how a magnetic motor could mimic the performance of fossil and I think that is another option. I think the hybrid idea is fine on it's own but it's built in impracticalities are just not a good tradeoff.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •