Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 146

Thread: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

  1. #131
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,119

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Moderator's Warning:
    Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas pricesThe personal attacks are going to stop now or there will be consequences. Simmer down.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Obama will not accept resposibility for gas prices. He is not responsible for anything. Our Pesident has a sign on his desk that says "The Buck Stops Here", oh wait a sec, that was President Truman. President Obama's oval office desk sign says "Don't Blame Me, Its Bush's Fault"

    Did he raise them? Did he invade an oil rich country on a pretext? What action of his is the cause?

    If you want him to be responsible, this is what you have to show.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #133
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,765

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Obama will not accept resposibility for gas prices. He is not responsible for anything. Our Pesident has a sign on his desk that says "The Buck Stops Here", oh wait a sec, that was President Truman. President Obama's oval office desk sign says "Don't Blame Me, Its Bush's Fault"
    When did Bush ever take responsibility for anything? I certainly don't recall having seen it.

  4. #134
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,449

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Gas prices skyrocketing as a result of government policies that either are passed with utter disregard for the possibility that they may cause this effort, or worse, with the specific intent of causing this effect, have little to do with a free market.
    Wow, you pretty much affirmed Sypher's assertion.... that when it comes to gasoline prices, there is no free market. I even heard a conservative talk show host, when confronted with the notion that the US is actually an exporter of gasoline, largely because companies can get more for gas abroad than they can here, suggested that we should have an export tariff to incent the companies to keep the gas here. So, his solution is to use taxes to take profits from oil companies to subsidize the US consumer. Of course, this is the party of small government that wants to expand the military and regulate your bedroom. What a misguided group!

  5. #135
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,449

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Obama will not accept resposibility for gas prices. He is not responsible for anything. Our Pesident has a sign on his desk that says "The Buck Stops Here", oh wait a sec, that was President Truman. President Obama's oval office desk sign says "Don't Blame Me, Its Bush's Fault"
    Kindly show us where GWB took responsibility for the spike in gas prices in the summer of 2008, when gasoline hit its all time high...

    Gasoline Price History

    Sorry, but the return of gas prices to their pre-recession levels are actually a reflection of world economies getting off their recessionary lethargy and looking forward.

  6. #136
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    Even if you don't like Obama it's clear the president doesn't control gas prices and that includes all presidents republican or democrat.
    Not according to Nancy Pelosi...

    Pelosi blasts Bush over gas prices

    Monday, July 07, 2008

    Don Sanchez

    SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi wrapped up her San Francisco holiday weekend Monday with a blast at President Bush. The topic -- the price of oil. Gasoline has more than doubled since the Bush administration took office she says.

    McCumber joined Speaker Pelosi Monday to dramatize the tough times businesses are having because of fuel costs. The speaker blames what she labels the Bush-Cheney big oil agenda, using graphics to point out gasoline prices have more than doubled in the Bush administration.

    "This is a scam of the greatest magnitude," says Speaker Pelosi.

    Rising gas prices affect groups like the Boys and Girls Club that is cutting programs to save costs, a small businessman who finds himself being priced out of competition or a caregiver who can't afford gas to get to clients.

    Prices at the pump are a pain for all of us, but Speaker Pelosi is accusing President Bush of policies that have driven up the prices, and says she has a solution to bring prices down immediately.

    Speaker Pelosi blasts President Bush over gas prices | abc7news.com
    If that is indeed true then we can blame Obama's anti-oil agenda for the nearing $5 a gallon prices.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    The poor guy is doing the best he can. Now give him a break.


  8. #138
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-28-12 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    12

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Did he raise them? Did he invade an oil rich country on a pretext? What action of his is the cause?

    If you want him to be responsible, this is what you have to show.
    While I agree with your point, your argument is weak. Under this premise, Obama would not be responsible for unemployment, etc. After all, did he cause the financial meltdown? It is the responsibility of the President to serve the American people. With that being said, the President has little control over gas prices and should not be held accountable for it, but not because he didn't cause them to increase.

  9. #139
    User patrickbwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-10-12 @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    President Obama does not "accept responsibility" for high gas prices, his spokesman indicated today, arguing that Obama has done everything he could to bring down the price of oil and blaming the high gas prices on oil price increases caused by global factors.

    "The president accepts the responsibility that he identified the next president should accept, which is the need for comprehensive energy policy," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said today when asked if Obama "accept[s] responsibility" for the high price of oil and gas. "If you're suggesting that there is responsibility for a rise in the price of oil, it's certainly not because of anything he hasn't done to expand oil production," Carney added.

    Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

    This is an interesting and important turn in the upcoming election. Can Obama, with his moratoriums and pipeline blocking, successfully pull off the "don't blame me" game when few presidents before him could? IMO 5 or 6 dollar a gallon gas could spell the end for his re-election plans, despite the mess the republican filed of contenders is. This is an issue that will weigh heavily on the outcome of the election IMO.
    Drilling more oil doesn't solve the problem when we continue to export refined gasoline outside of the US for a larger profit.
    US exports of Conventional Gasoline.jpg

    if we want lower gas prices maybe we should stop exporting gas outside of the US when we refine it. eh?

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Obama doesn't accept responsibility for gas prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustinnnnn View Post
    With that being said, the President has little control over gas prices and should not be held accountable for it, but not because he didn't cause them to increase.
    I disagree somewhat with this. Since it has been established that the supply/demand relationship has been negated due to the increase in production and decrease in use nationally the underlying cause is speculation. One must then question why speculation is increasing. Considering the turmoil in the Straits of Hormuz AND the uncertainty of the Keystone, both of these factors stimulate the speculation of oil futures. BHO COULD have done something, possibly militarily, to alleviate the fears in ME (which I would have been against). He COULD have just as easily come out on Keystone and stated ‘I will approve this once the final layout in Nebraska is worked out’. Both of these would have eliminated the speculation stimulus and thus the oil spike would have been less dramatic. Whether the Keystone would affect oil prices directly is still questionable but it is the perception of these issues that drives oil speculation…and the +/-$2t ‘sitting on the sidelines’.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •