Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constitutions

  1. #121
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm, replying to another View Post
    [...] Are you surprised that there is an uproar over this? [...]
    Given the ignorance and intellectual dishonesty of the talk media right? I'd be surprised if there wasn't

    I mean, come on, you can walk by any right wing media host and just whisper the word Obama, Ginsburg, Holder, Wright, Ayers, Van Jones, and watch them immediately begin twitching... mention the word a few more times and they'll break into a full-blown spasmodic fit. I'm not trying to bait here; it's a commonly observed occurrence. Beck and his communist buildings, Hannity and Wright hating on America, Issa on painting Holder as some kind of traitor, Limbaugh and DeMint and Lord knows how many others incessantly hoping for Obama to fail... the psychotic behavior is simply predictable.

    Ergo, the uproar is -- predictable. A crafty person could even instigate it at will, I'd imagine -- scientifically proving that when it comes to anyone or anything that does not automatically and immediately patriotically prostrate itself at the mere mention of America, a Pavlovian reaction is instilled in the more rabid segment of the right in which they salivate, and then attack.

    Grrr... woof woof!

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Given the ignorance and intellectual dishonesty of the talk media right? I'd be surprised if there wasn't

    I mean, come on, you can walk by any right wing media host and just whisper the word Obama, Ginsburg, Holder, Wright, Ayers, Van Jones, and watch them immediately begin twitching... mention the word a few more times and they'll break into a full-blown spasmodic fit. I'm not trying to bait here; it's a commonly observed occurrence. Beck and his communist buildings, Hannity and Wright hating on America, Issa on painting Holder as some kind of traitor, Limbaugh and DeMint and Lord knows how many others incessantly hoping for Obama to fail... the psychotic behavior is simply predictable.

    Ergo, the uproar is -- predictable. A crafty person could even instigate it at will, I'd imagine -- scientifically proving that when it comes to anyone or anything that does not automatically and immediately patriotically prostrate itself at the mere mention of America, a Pavlovian reaction is instilled in the more rabid segment of the right in which they salivate, and then attack.

    Grrr... woof woof!
    How about that Rachel Maddow, though? She's a fine lad.

    rachel_maddow.jpg

    Seriously, though, it's interesting how the left views the right. You can see that we're worked up, you see the attacks on left-wing figures, but maybe you don't really see why or how we arrive at our philosophies.

    I wish there were a left-wing talk show element. It would be interesting to hear, and to call in and slam the host for being wrong about everything.

  3. #123
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Maybe not that fact in itself, but the body of her work is certainly disturbing.

    Think about what that comment says about her. It says that the very law she is supposedly dedicating her life to uphold and interpret for us... she doesn't believe is exceptional.

    By its very nature, her statement suggests that she would like to see changes to our constitution.

    Are you surprised that there is an uproar over this? A Supreme Court justice should not want to change the constitution. This is not their job. Their job is to read it, uphold it, and interpret it.
    Just because a Justice believes the Constitution to be inadequate does not mean that they are incapable of reading it, upholding it, and interpreting it as it is written.

    I mean look at it from the angle of these countries currently trying to form a constitution. As a Justice, Ginsburg is an expert on constitutionalism. But because she's a Justice doesn't mean she should automatically be forced to be a cheerleader for the U.S. Constitution, especially when it comes to giving other nations advice on how to write their own constitution.

    Doing that - giving advice that you, in your expert opinion, believe to be wrong to a group of people attempting to lay the foundation for their system of governance - is morally reprehensible.

    And there are TONS of weaknesses in the U.S. Constitution. For example, as many Republicans like to point out, it doesn't give specific powers to the government for things such as social programs. But there are many countries who LIKE social programs. So their constitution may want to include provisions for those things.

    Another weakness of the U.S. Constitution was that it totally disregarded the Native Americans. When Canada wrote its current constitution it wrote specific provisions regarding people of the First Nations.

    There are also civil libertarians who are concerned with how our executive branch operates. Under our system, the Cabinet Secretaries are nominated by the President and approved by the Senate. Which means that none of them are elected. And because Cabinet Secretaries are in the presidential line of succession it is entirely possible that people who were put into positions of power with no approval by the people may become President during a crisis or emergency.

    And, as I said earlier, a Bill of Rights wasn't even originally included in the U.S. Constitution - it had to be amended to include them. And many more rights have been acknowledged by many countries which aren't even included in the Constitution, such as a right to health care or education or food.

    So I still don't see the problem in a Justice acknowledging these things to nascent countries seeking to form their own constitution for their own governance by and for their own people.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Just because a Justice believes the Constitution to be inadequate does not mean that they are incapable of reading it, upholding it, and interpreting it as it is written.

    I mean look at it from the angle of these countries currently trying to form a constitution. As a Justice, Ginsburg is an expert on constitutionalism. But because she's a Justice doesn't mean she should automatically be forced to be a cheerleader for the U.S. Constitution, especially when it comes to giving other nations advice on how to write their own constitution.

    Doing that - giving advice that you, in your expert opinion, believe to be wrong to a group of people attempting to lay the foundation for their system of governance - is morally reprehensible.

    And there are TONS of weaknesses in the U.S. Constitution. For example, as many Republicans like to point out, it doesn't give specific powers to the government for things such as social programs. But there are many countries who LIKE social programs. So their constitution may want to include provisions for those things.

    Another weakness of the U.S. Constitution was that it totally disregarded the Native Americans. When Canada wrote its current constitution it wrote specific provisions regarding people of the First Nations.

    There are also civil libertarians who are concerned with how our executive branch operates. Under our system, the Cabinet Secretaries are nominated by the President and approved by the Senate. Which means that none of them are elected. And because Cabinet Secretaries are in the presidential line of succession it is entirely possible that people who were put into positions of power with no approval by the people may become President during a crisis or emergency.

    And, as I said earlier, a Bill of Rights wasn't even originally included in the U.S. Constitution - it had to be amended to include them. And many more rights have been acknowledged by many countries which aren't even included in the Constitution, such as a right to health care or education or food.

    So I still don't see the problem in a Justice acknowledging these things to nascent countries seeking to form their own constitution for their own governance by and for their own people.
    I don't want her to cheerlead, I want her to sincerely support our constitution. It's not her behavior that troubles me as much as her intentions, which her behavior elucidates.

    I still question why someone who is not completely sold on our constitution would take a job which demands that they uphold and interpret that constitution... unless they wanted to legislate from the bench.

    If you believe there are weaknesses in the constitution, the proper avenue is to amend it.

    Perhaps she is better suited for a career in the legislature.

  5. #125
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I still question why someone who is not completely sold on our constitution would take a job which demands that they uphold and interpret that constitution... unless they wanted to legislate from the bench.
    Or she wants a different society with different values and different political needs to have a system of governance that's more suited to that society's individualized needs.

    I don't see how a Justice saying "The US Constitution isn't for everybody and has particular weaknesses" equates to "I dislike the US Constitution and want to change it into something else despite what the people say and despite the amendment process."
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Or she wants a different society with different values and different political needs to have a system of governance that's more suited to that society's individualized needs.

    I don't see how a Justice saying "The US Constitution isn't for everybody and has particular weaknesses" equates to "I dislike the US Constitution and want to change it into something else despite what the people say and despite the amendment process."
    It's an insight into the way she views our constitution and it casts doubt on the motives behind some of the decisions she has made.

  7. #127
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Clinton appointed her.

    She had worked her entire career for the ACLU, serving as its general counsel in the 1970's. She was a law professor at that liberal haven called Columbia.

    She may very well be the biggest left wing nutcase in this country, and that's not an exaggeration. She ought to be tossed off the bench.

    As for her comment, it's unfathomable how someone whose role is to interpret and uphold the Constitution of the United States can come out and say that another nation's constitution is somehow better. Nice to know how highly she regards the piece of law she's sworn to uphold.

    I can't say I'm at all surprised, though. Just another leopard showing her spots.
    I bet if a McDonalds employee went around telling customers to go to burger king,wendys or some other place and that same employee used another burger chains burgers to sell to McDonalds customers then I bet McDonalds would fire that employee. But yet some people think it is perfectly acceptable for a supreme court judge to cite foreign laws when making decisions regarding the constitution and to tell other countries our constitution is no good. I guess only to a globalist or some anti-US constitutional scum bag would that make any sense.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I bet if a McDonalds employee went around telling customers to go to burger king,wendys or some other place and that same employee used another burger chains burgers to sell to McDonalds customers then I bet McDonalds would fire that employee. But yet some people think it is perfectly acceptable for a supreme court judge to cite foreign laws when making decisions regarding the constitution and to tell other countries our constitution is no good. I guess only to a globalist or some anti-US constitutional scum bag would that make any sense.
    It worries me that the left is unconcerned about this. They're rallying behind Ginsburg... but this is a serious question mark on her record.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Egyptians: Look to the Constituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm, replying to Karl View Post
    Seriously, though, it's interesting how the left views the right. You can see that we're worked up, you see the attacks on left-wing figures, but maybe you don't really see why or how we arrive at our philosophies.
    Oh, I know why -- emotionalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm, continuing View Post
    I wish there were a left-wing talk show element. It would be interesting to hear, and to call in and slam the host for being wrong about everything.
    There is. They are often wrong, because they let their emotions override rationality and logic. However, unlike the right wing talk show hosts, I get the impression that they truly believe what they say (compared to the right wing hosts, which I get the impression are merely saying stuff to inflame their audience and thereby increase revenue)... which is probably one reason that left wing talk radio doesn't make much money.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •