Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, before I get to your point, let me address mine.

    I just wanted to point out that just because someone holds socialist ideals doesn't mean that they endorse authoritarian policies. Those two things are mutually exclusive philosophies.

    As for your libertarianism, if you want to get technical about it, then according to that philosophy companies that are internet service providers should have no government interference in collecting that information and doing whatever they want with it, such as selling it to marketing and advertising firms in order to make more money. And, of course, if the customers don't like it they can just choose to become a customer of another ISP that doesn't do that policy or not use internet service at all.

    But those are besides the point, so I don't think you and I should belabor them in this thread.

    I do think one thing, though. I think that, centuries from now, the internet will have made everybody much more tolerant or turn everyone into a criminal of one kind or another.

    Which are among the reasons I said "it isn't quite that simple" and also why my lean says "independent" instead of libertarian.

    I don't agree that socialism and authoritarianism are mutually exclusive... in reality they seem to go hand in hand more often than not.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #12
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I've known for a while that Hawaii was a lot more Socialist-Authoritarian/paternalistic than most of the USA, but I didn't know it was that bad.

    Oh well, scratch Hawaii off the vacation list..... oh waitaminute, I'd already done that because of their idiotic gun laws...
    Not many people would spend their vacation time in Hawaii surfing the net and fending off attackers.

    Trust me on this one. Hang loose!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  3. #13
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,526

    Re: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    As for your libertarianism, if you want to get technical about it, then according to that philosophy companies that are internet service providers should have no government interference in collecting that information and doing whatever they want with it, such as selling it to marketing and advertising firms in order to make more money. And, of course, if the customers don't like it they can just choose to become a customer of another ISP that doesn't do that policy or not use internet service at all.
    Not really an option for most people, where their only choice for an ISP is a cable company or a phone company given exclusive rights to a territory in a government-granted monopoly.

    Take away those monopolies, which I'm all for, and let there be free choice, then yeah.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Oh well, scratch Hawaii off the vacation list..... oh waitaminute, I'd already done that because of their idiotic gun laws...
    You let a states gun laws dictate whether you vacation there? Oh well, less people when I go, hurray!

  5. #15
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

    Please, can we not let this thread devolve into more people telling socialists what we believe? We reject Stalin and Mao the same way Christians reject the Holocaust and the Spanish Inquisition.

    To actually discuss the OP, freedom requires some level of anonymity. If we are constantly afraid that others are watching us, and will judge us, then we cannot act the way we might like to. Not because of shame, but because we do not want to suffer the unjustified scorn of others. There are plenty of pressures that society, and government sponsored morality, do not have the right to impose on people. In this country, we do not all have to be the same. We are free to have different ideas, and different lives. We have the right to our unpopular beliefs. And we have the right to hold them without the constant scrutiny of others.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #16
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,280

    Re: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    oh waitaminute, I'd already done that because of their idiotic gun laws...
    Yeah because what's a vacation without your gun close by?

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

    The Federal government has already set the example, so there is nothing stopping the states (left OR right leaning) from implementing their own draconian internet laws. Censorship and privacy intrusions are only going to increase from now on.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I've known for a while that Hawaii was a lot more Socialist-Authoritarian/paternalistic than most of the USA, but I didn't know it was that bad.

    Oh well, scratch Hawaii off the vacation list..... oh waitaminute, I'd already done that because of their idiotic gun laws...
    ... seriously, is there any aspect of your life that doesn't revolve around guns? Most people put things like toothbrushes, underwear and in some cases contacts at the top of their list of things to bring on vacation. You think guns? Even if that's not what you're talking about - most people could care less about gun laws in whatever place they're traveling to on a vacation. I'm more likely to think about traffic in St. Maarten then I do about what their gun laws are. Yet you think of guns? Whatever the reason, it's just stupid to cross a place off a travel list simply because of a gun related issue.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-07-12 at 06:11 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •