Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 115

Thread: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

  1. #51
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    In the end, if they decide to steal nobody gets the product as it's never created in the first place.
    Sounds more hyperbolic than not - though possible, I doubt piracy has yet to actually cause this outright, or be the SINGLE [key word] cause of any company's failure.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  2. #52
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Really? Do you have some kind of report to back this up? And also, do you have proof that people who 'steal' music, etc. would have bought the products if they weren't available to 'steal'?
    Here's the thing, if I download music illegally, it doesn't really hurt the company. People think that the model is a) Download music illegally or b) Go buy the album. In reality, there is a third option: Not buy the music. Thus, if I found myself unable to download the music illegally, I would just go without the music.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    Sounds more hyperbolic than not - though possible, I doubt piracy has yet to actually cause this outright, or be the SINGLE [key word] cause of any company's failure.
    Perhaps not but just because it's not a single cause doesn't make it O.K.

  4. #54
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Here's the thing, if I download music illegally, it doesn't really hurt the company. People think that the model is a) Download music illegally or b) Go buy the album. In reality, there is a third option: Not buy the music. Thus, if I found myself unable to download the music illegally, I would just go without the music.
    I think people don't take into account the people who download the music, and then actually buy the album later. I have done this a lot, especially if I don't have the money at the moment, I'll download an album, and if I really like it I will buy it in order to support the band/artist. It's great advertisement really. I do believe that most people do want to buy their stuff the legit way, they just have to make it easy, and available. That's why itunes is so successful, because it is easy to buy your music, 1 click, and you have it. And with some things it is just easier to get it illegally, and that is the fault of the people providing the content.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Here's the thing, if I download music illegally, it doesn't really hurt the company.
    It most certainly does. Again, "they can afford it" is the same arguement shoplifters have used for years.

    People think that the model is a) Download music illegally or b) Go buy the album. In reality, there is a third option: Not buy the music. Thus, if I found myself unable to download the music illegally, I would just go without the music.
    Then go without. If you go to a movie you can look around you and see many empty seats. Why doesn't the theater simply allow people to walk in and fill these seats after the paying customers have paid and picked their seats. After all, filling a seat really isn't costing the theater anything is it?

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I think people don't take into account the people who download the music, and then actually buy the album later.
    It's already been noted (hey, just above this reply) that the choice was steal it or not have it.

    I have done this a lot, especially if I don't have the money at the moment, I'll download an album, and if I really like it I will buy it in order to support the band/artist. It's great advertisement really. I do believe that most people do want to buy their stuff the legit way, they just have to make it easy, and available. That's why itunes is so successful, because it is easy to buy your music, 1 click, and you have it. And with some things it is just easier to get it illegally, and that is the fault of the people providing the content.
    I've been on iTunes and I can't think of anything of any account that wasn't there. None of these laws are in place because you can't get the local garage band on iTunes.

  7. #57
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    It's already been noted (hey, just above this reply) that the choice was steal it or not have it.
    Take one of my favorite artists, Regina Spektor, I "borrowed" a lot of her music when I was first discovering her music, but now I own every album, some multiple times. So it's not just a choice of either buy it or don't ever get it. There are multiple reasons.



    I've been on iTunes and I can't think of anything of any account that wasn't there. None of these laws are in place because you can't get the local garage band on iTunes.
    I wasn't saying this, I was praising iTunes, saying that the reason it is so popular is because of the ease of access, and the large library. I'm saying most people want to buy their stuf legitimately, and if you give them an easy way to do it, they will.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Take one of my favorite artists, Regina Spektor, I "borrowed" a lot of her music when I was first discovering her music, but now I own every album, some multiple times. So it's not just a choice of either buy it or don't ever get it. There are multiple reasons.
    One may get a better job and buy their designer purse next time.

    I wasn't saying this, I was praising iTunes, saying that the reason it is so popular is because of the ease of access, and the large library.
    And yet, people are still stealing the music.

    I'm saying most people want to buy their stuf legitimately, and if you give them an easy way to do it, they will.
    And yet, they aren't. Look in this thread. The complaints that iTunes are still too expensive are there. In the end if you want to buy the music you want, you have no worries about any of this.

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    One may get a better job and buy their designer purse next time.
    What the **** does this have to do with anything?



    And yet, people are still stealing the music.
    And people still buy music. Your point?


    And yet, they aren't. Look in this thread. The complaints that iTunes are still too expensive are there. In the end if you want to buy the music you want, you have no worries about any of this.
    Hardly disproves my point about iTunes.

    And yes, even if you follow the law you have a lot to worry about these laws. This very website could be shutdown because of these laws. Someone who posts a video on youtube, and has music in the background could be put in jail for 5 years. Everyone should worry about these draconian laws, the government has no right to do what these laws propose.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Here's the thing, if I download music illegally, it doesn't really hurt the company. People think that the model is a) Download music illegally or b) Go buy the album. In reality, there is a third option: Not buy the music. Thus, if I found myself unable to download the music illegally, I would just go without the music.
    Exactly, the assumption that illegal downloading causes people to lose money is based on the premise that those who downloaded illegally would have bought the music/movies/etc. had they not been available for free. That's a difficult premise to prove and unlikely.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •