Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 115

Thread: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Which makes them find better ways to steal. LOL
    Meh, for some reason I don't find stealing as funny as you do.

    But again, the implications of treaties and bills like this go far beyond stealing and those implications are the problem. If things like this only affected maliciously illegal copyright violations, then there wouldn't be a problem.
    I believe there would be because stealing is the problem but I'm always willing to see examples where I'm wrong.

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Meh, for some reason I don't find stealing as funny as you do.
    Meh, I find it funny when people advocate solutions to problems that actually worsen the problems especially when those people think that making people mad (LOL) matters. I also tend not to get all bent out of shape about things outside of my control.

    I believe there would be because stealing is the problem but I'm always willing to see examples where I'm wrong.
    I don't know how you could see examples of a hypothetical scenario. However, if you read anything about protests against SOPA, then you would know that the main arguments against it were about things other than stealing.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I would never buy a Rolex and yet, I can't sell pirated copies.
    What is your point? Obviously you can't sell pirated copies because Rolexes can't be downloaded, copied and shared over the internet while the original Rolex stays intact and with its owner. My point was that pirated music, etc. would only affect people if those who stole the music, etc. would have paid for it had they not had access to the pirated versions. If they wouldn't have paid for it, then nobody lost any money.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Meh, I find it funny when people advocate solutions to problems that actually worsen the problems especially when those people think that making people mad (LOL) matters. I also tend not to get all bent out of shape about things outside of my control.
    Nobody has shown where it will worsen the problem.

    I don't know how you could see examples of a hypothetical scenario. However, if you read anything about protests against SOPA, then you would know that the main arguments against it were about things other than stealing.
    Of course, who wants to admit they are stealing?

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    What is your point? Obviously you can't sell pirated copies because Rolexes can't be downloaded, copied and shared over the internet while the original Rolex stays intact and with its owner. My point was that pirated music, etc. would only affect people if those who stole the music, etc. would have paid for it had they not had access to the pirated versions. If they wouldn't have paid for it, then nobody lost any money.
    I would never buy a real Rolex. My buying a fake does not then harm them in any way. Right?

    There is no proof that the shoplifter would have bought the $200 hand bag either.

  6. #46
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Nobody has shown where it will worsen the problem.
    Ignoring what has been said, quoted != "nobody has shown..."



    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Of course, who wants to admit they are stealing?
    Or admit when they're putting words in people's mouthes?


    BTW ever hear of the edit button, or not posting so quickly and looking at, responding to the posts you want to reply to?
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    Ignoring what has been said, quoted != "nobody has shown..."
    You can say anything. I've been shown video's stating that 911 was a creation of the government and that we never landed on the moon also.

    Or admit when they're putting words in people's mouthes?
    I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth. In various posts about this many have stated here that indeed they will steal because the creators of the product want too much for it.

    Nobody is going to go on record with that arguement though where it matters.

    BTW ever hear of the edit button, or not posting so quickly and looking at, responding to the posts you want to reply to?
    Nice attempt to make the discussion about me.

  8. #48
    Advisor Teh Internets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    351

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I would never buy a real Rolex. My buying a fake does not then harm them in any way. Right?

    There is no proof that the shoplifter would have bought the $200 hand bag either.
    It costs money to make multiple handbags. If a bunch of people stole handbags that took money to produce, then the company would lose money. On the other hand the files don't have a manufacturing cost other than the original copy. If people illegally download something that they wouldn't pay money for, the company doesn't take a loss.

  9. #49
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    I have a question for President Obama, was he attempting to usurp the authority of Congress when it comes to intellectual property and was he standing in the shows of congress when he signed this treaty?

    Intellectual property is governed by Congress: Article I, section 8, clause 8 of the US Constitution The Congress shall have Power: To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

    This is enforced by the Commerce Clause of the constitution which states: Article I, section 8, clause 3 of the Constitution:The Congress shall have Power: To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.


    While he has executive authority to make this treaty a question of whether the treaty is enforceable is another issue.

    Those that had requested Obama to take this action include:

    Copyright Alliance

    Motion Picture Association of America

    National Association of Manufacturers

    Recording Industry Association of America

    Software & Information Industry Association

    Any thoughts?

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Internets View Post
    It costs money to make multiple handbags. If a bunch of people stole handbags that took money to produce, then the company would lose money. On the other hand the files don't have a manufacturing cost other than the original copy. If people illegally download something that they wouldn't pay money for, the company doesn't take a loss.
    But those who refuse to steal the product does with higher costs to them. In the end, if they decide to steal nobody gets the product as it's never created in the first place.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •