Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 110

Thread: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

  1. #51
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    What if you got kicked and was paralyzed in a horse stall? Its been 2 and a half days. That horse turd is within tongues reach.
    The horse turd would introduce bacteria and gut flora native to horses into your system. Your body will react by vomiting and having diarrhea that will leave you dehydrated
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    [...] As any college professor will tell you, Wikipedia is NOT to be cited as an authoritative source in a paper. [...]
    But do you know why?

  3. #53
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    But do you know why?
    Maybe due to the fact that anyone can edit it an anytime? And that there's not a panel of experts available to monitor pages on every single topic?

  4. #54
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    The horse turd would introduce bacteria and gut flora native to horses into your system. Your body will react by vomiting and having diarrhea that will leave you dehydrated
    Really? I was told by a horse trainer that horse poo is actually healthy for people to eat. (I still didnt do it). Hrm.. Come to think of it. Maybe he was just trolling me and seeing if I was dumb enough to eat horse crap. But, I think omnivores already have much crazier bacteria in their stomach than herbavores. I seen that one survival dude suck water out of an elephant turd.

    /thread train back on the rails. Hey... Where is an chat icon of a train poppin off tracks and helicopters lifting it back onto the track? (I know.. helicopters cant lift trains. But it would suffice for /thread derailed /thread back on track with 1 button.)
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 01-18-12 at 02:34 PM.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  5. #55
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post
    Time to bust out Encarta '95.

    Seriously though, Google has replaced their doodle with a blackout and Reddit is also blacked out for the day. If we could just get Facebook on board Congress would have to shut down their phone lines.
    Facebook Releases Anti-PIPA / SOPA Statement | TorrentFreak

    Needs to do more!

  6. #56
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Maybe due to the fact that anyone can edit it an anytime? And that there's not a panel of experts available to monitor pages on every single topic?
    Perhaps, but that is an incorrect reason (even though there could be errors). Wikipedia, or any encyclopedia, is not a primary source. It contains no original research. Depending on what one is writing about, original research should be cited; not a distillation of that research published by a third party (e.g., an encyclopedia).

    Any facts found on Wikipedia should be easily traceable to their source (via article footnotes), which is what should be read, understood, and cited in scholarly work.

  7. #57
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Maybe due to the fact that anyone can edit it an anytime? And that there's not a panel of experts available to monitor pages on every single topic?
    And yet many of the more technology/internet literate professors do not take this stance. Like the congressmen who don't know how the internet actually works, a lot of older professors don't understand how Wikipedia works. They don't realize that Wiki articles are cited like any other professional work, or that malicious changes are removed within a few hours. Every single article has its sources in primary information, or else puts a big banner on top if such citation is missing. A wiki is more accurate than a printed encyclopedia, able to be revised and have errors fixed, and is far faster and easier to navigate than printed books. As a source of knowledge, it is superior. Get with the 21st century guys.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #58
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiderivative View Post
    Interesting study, but I don't understand the relevancy of how eating a mud pie might provide some nutritional value to the numerous studies conducted on the reliability of wiki. It is comparing apples to oranges.
    I'm invalidating your argument which focuses on a study - appeal to authority, in which I say you can find a study to say anything you want. Arguing with a study as the main point has become irrelevant for the reasons I've cited.

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiderivative View Post
    Again, you won't find disagreement with me on this. Wiki is a great source, but it requires discretion and follow through.
    Agreed.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #59
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Perhaps, but that is an incorrect reason (even though there could be errors). Wikipedia, or any encyclopedia, is not a primary source. It contains no original research. Depending on what one is writing about, original research should be cited; not a distillation of that research published by a third party (e.g., an encyclopedia).

    Any facts found on Wikipedia should be easily traceable to their source (via article footnotes), which is what should be read, understood, and cited in scholarly work.
    No encyclopedia is a primary source. They are tertiary sources.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #60
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    And yet many of the more technology/internet literate professors do not take this stance. Like the congressmen who don't know how the internet actually works, a lot of older professors don't understand how Wikipedia works. They don't realize that Wiki articles are cited like any other professional work, or that malicious changes are removed within a few hours. Every single article has its sources in primary information, or else puts a big banner on top if such citation is missing. A wiki is more accurate than a printed encyclopedia, able to be revised and have errors fixed, and is far faster and easier to navigate than printed books. As a source of knowledge, it is superior. Get with the 21st century guys.
    No, they are not superior. Professors understand how it works well enough. They are only as good as their community, and until Wikipedia becomes more aristocratic with who makes entries, it is vastly inferior.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 01-18-12 at 03:00 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •