Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 110

Thread: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

  1. #91
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I dunno if anyone has posted an update, but this keeps it as 'breaking news'.


    Five key senators abandon online piracy bills amid Web protests - The Hill's Hillicon Valley





    We win, they can eat a crap.
    I am happy to ready this...

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    You know, guys and gals, we are getting excited about senators removing support for these bills amid the population showing extreme concern for them. We shouldn't be happy they are doing this, we should demand they do it. They are supposed to represent US, remember?

  3. #93
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Under SOPA, you could get 5 years for uploading a Michael Jackson song. One year more than the doctor who killed him.

  4. #94
    User Chaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    05-03-12 @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    87

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    You know, guys and gals, we are getting excited about senators removing support for these bills amid the population showing extreme concern for them. We shouldn't be happy they are doing this, we should demand they do it. They are supposed to represent US, remember?
    This is a valid arguement. It seems to me congress never listens to what we have tos ay because they too busy supporting their parties
    It is a man's reason that lifts him to the stars.

  5. #95
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Not sure how up-to-date this is, but I found a site that shows how each representative leans on SOPA/PIPA:

    Who in Congress Supports SOPA and PIPA/PROTECT-IP? | SOPA Opera | ProPublica
    Your link seems to be rather up to date. Since I saw it yesterday Rubio has moved from being for it, to against it.. Also yesterday It was (if memory serves) 80 for and maybe 20 against - today it is 62 for and 102 against.

    Although one of my senators has switched sides (Rubio), the other is still listed as being for it. My congresswoman is still an unknown commodity, but I have called her and voiced my opposition to SOPA.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  6. #96
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I'm invalidating your argument which focuses on a study - appeal to authority, in which I say you can find a study to say anything you want. Arguing with a study as the main point has become irrelevant for the reasons I've cited.
    The fallacy is yours. The proper course of action would be to find the study and critically appraise it yourself. Guilt by association is hardly logical argument. Assuming encyclopedia britannica is substantially more reliable is also the true appeal to authority here.

    People here seem to forget that any original research they read will also be predicated upon other research. There'll be a long list of references of any academic paper you'll have to read and research if you want to fully accept what the paper is trying to prove or argue. I doubt many of the traditionalist academics here are any more thorough than an average wiki user in that regard.

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,928

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    The fallacy is yours. The proper course of action would be to find the study and critically appraise it yourself. Guilt by association is hardly logical argument. Assuming encyclopedia britannica is substantially more reliable is also the true appeal to authority here.

    People here seem to forget that any original research they read will also be predicated upon other research. There'll be a long list of references of any academic paper you'll have to read and research if you want to fully accept what the paper is trying to prove or argue. I doubt many of the traditionalist academics here are any more thorough than an average wiki user in that regard.
    Define "traditionalist academic" please. I mean, you surely aren't suggesting that an academic, a scholar who publishes, is only as thorough as the average Wiki user.

  8. #98
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Define "traditionalist academic" please. I mean, you surely aren't suggesting that an academic, a scholar who publishes, is only as thorough as the average Wiki user.
    People who disregard Wikipedia purely out of elitist orthodoxy.

    It's relative to the subject you're researching. If you only have a passing interest in a scientific subject, and you perform a search on pubmed to inform yourself, I'd say it's unlikely you're going to perform rigorous analysis on the references the paper you choose to read uses. You in fact, will rely on user review to assume that what the paper claims to be predicated on is accurate. Similar to the casual Wiki user. Will anyone with a real interest not investigate the references on Wiki, or pubmed for that matter, further just as a qualified scientist using pubmed would? Neither type of user can claim authority on the matter, you simply can't trace all the references on a research paper anymore than you can on a Wiki article.

  9. #99
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    The fallacy is yours.
    No, yours is the appeal to authority. See when you make an accusation you need to say what it is and why. Just making a counter accusation without anything is sort of ... banal.[/quote]
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: Wow! Wiki really is shut down!

    Does anyone have an idea on how the government plans to take control of the Internet? (Libs, you should be loving this prospect, by-the-way)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •