Page 94 of 154 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 1533

Thread: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

  1. #931
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Like i said, the military doesnt work for you. It protects you. And as i also previously stated, you are more than free to criticize them.
    Actually it does. If the President works for me and teachers work for me, then the military sure as hell works for me. The military is not an altruistic organization. My tax dollars pay it to protect me. And I know I'm free to criticize them.

    And people still criticize the hell out of them.
    Exactly. Did you mean to prove my point for me?

    Using the word "strawman" is the worst form of debate i have ever encountered. I see it on what seems like every other post i read on here. In debate, and especially in life, invalidating someones argument does not by default validate your own. Its used here as an excure for not having anything smarter to say.
    You probably see it on every other post because it happens a lot here. That and the famed red herring. So if apdst is saying, "until you are a soldier you will never understand them," as you claim he is, it's a strawman aka a misrepresentation of people's actual arguments.

  2. #932
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Actually it does. If the President works for me and teachers work for me, then the military sure as hell works for me. The military is not an altruistic organization. My tax dollars pay it to protect me. And I know I'm free to criticize them.
    Why dont you give your local drill seargant a call and tell him to have 5 platoons report to your front yard in 10 minutes for drills and inspection. Whats he gonna say to you? Yes sir? Get lost? [/quote]

    Exactly. Did you mean to prove my point for me?
    If your point was that people can criticize others without understanding them, then yes.

    You probably see it on every other post because it happens a lot here. That and the famed red herring. So if apdst is saying, "until you are a soldier you will never understand them," as you claim he is, it's a strawman aka a misrepresentation of people's actual arguments.
    Its weak. Do you really think you can see things the way a soldier does if you havent experienced the things they have? That could be said about any group of people, not just soldiers.

  3. #933
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Why dont you give your local drill seargant a call and tell him to have 5 platoons report to your front yard in 10 minutes for drills and inspection. Whats he gonna say to you? Yes sir? Get lost?



    If your point was that people can criticize others without understanding them, then yes.



    Its weak. Do you really think you can see things the way a soldier does if you havent experienced the things they have? That could be said about any group of people, not just soldiers.
    Which is precisely his friggin' point. This includes cops, teachers, women who get abortions, and the President. All of whom have been criticized at one point or another on this forum.

  4. #934
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't postulate about the "why's, mindset and motivations" of teachers -- as I said in my post, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    lol, okay...

  5. #935
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Why dont you give your local drill seargant a call and tell him to have 5 platoons report to your front yard in 10 minutes for drills and inspection. Whats he gonna say to you? Yes sir? Get lost?
    Why would I do that?

    If your point was that people can criticize others without understanding them, then yes.
    No, my point was that not voting for somebody does not mean they aren't a public worker that works for us.

    Its weak. Do you really think you can see things the way a soldier does if you havent experienced the things they have? That could be said about any group of people, not just soldiers.
    No, I don't think that which is why I said apdst's point was a strawman.

  6. #936
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Which is precisely his friggin' point. This includes cops, teachers, women who get abortions, and the President. All of whom have been criticized at one point or another on this forum.
    My point is that you dont have to BE a cop or a teacher or the President, or anyone else in order to criticize them, but you do have to BE them in order to understand things exactly the way they do. Particularly in the case of soldiers. So if you cant understand things from their point of view, you can still criticize them, you just cant really expect that criticism to mean as much.

    As far as criticism goes, anyone is fair game. Meaningful criticism is a different story.

  7. #937
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    No, my point was that not voting for somebody does not mean they aren't a public worker that works for us.
    Well thats slightly off topic then...

  8. #938
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,106

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    ....as I said in my post, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You don't deserve to even post in this thread.
    Opinions are fine, so long as they aren't mine.


  9. #939
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Well thats slightly off topic then...
    No, it's actually a direct response to your claim that military workers are "different" because they we don't vote for them. I said that the President works for us. You responded, "but that's different because we vote for the president". I responded that we don't vote for teachers and yet they work for us. And now it's "off topic". This thread is a joke.

  10. #940
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    My point is that you dont have to BE a cop or a teacher or the President, or anyone else in order to criticize them, but you do have to BE them in order to understand things exactly the way they do. Particularly in the case of soldiers. So if you cant understand things from their point of view, you can still criticize them, you just cant really expect that criticism to mean as much.
    Well then I have no idea why you entered the conversation between me and apdst because this was not the point of contention between us. Apdst argued that he can criticize the President because the president works for him, but that non-military people can't criticize the military because the military doesn't work for them. This claim is false.

    As far as criticism goes, anyone is fair game. Meaningful criticism is a different story.
    What is meaningful criticism? And do you think that non-military people can meaningfully criticize the actions described in the OP?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •