Page 93 of 154 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 1533

Thread: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

  1. #921
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Uh...what? Apdst claims that he can have valid criticisms Obama (even though he's never been president) because Obama works for him. However, he claims that non-military people can't have valid criticisms of the Marines in this story because we've never been in the military - however, the military also works for us. That's not semantics. That's called crushing an argument.
    Crushing argument>? Wow, pat yourself on the back why dont ya.
    There are some important differences however. The President is elected by the people. He is expected to to watch out for out best interests and take the country in the right direction. As such, he holds his position only at by the collective voice of the people. That makes him a public servant. He reports to us. And is supposed to hold himself accountable to us. Not only is it our right to criticize him, its our duty to call him on things that we dont agree with.

    A soldier however is not in the same catagory at all. We do not vote for soldiers, and we have no say in what soldiers do. The military carries out the orders that come down the chain of command and they are only held responsible by those above them in that chain. We can rant and rave all day long but whatever eventual punishment is decided upon, will come from within the military. You can criticize them all you want, but what Apdst is saying is that until you are a soldier you will never understand them.

  2. #922
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Crushing argument>? Wow, pat yourself on the back why dont ya.
    There are some important differences however. The President is elected by the people. He is expected to to watch out for out best interests and take the country in the right direction. As such, he holds his position only at by the collective voice of the people. That makes him a public servant. He reports to us.
    Semantics again. Yes, the president is elected by the people. No, he doesn't report to us. Hell, he won't even take my phone calls. The President of the United States reports to no one. He is held in check, if you will, by the U.S. Congress. Your line, "He holds his position only at the collective voice of the people," isn't right either. Unless the President commits an impeachable offense and is convicted by the U.S. House of Representatives, the collective voice of the people has nothing to do with his staying in office.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #923
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Semantics again. Yes, the president is elected by the people. No, he doesn't report to us. Hell, he won't even take my phone calls. The President of the United States reports to no one. He is held in check, if you will, by the U.S. Congress. Your line, "He holds his position only at the collective voice of the people," isn't right either. Unless the President commits an impeachable offense and is convicted by the U.S. House of Representatives, the collective voice of the people has nothing to do with his staying in office.
    Semantics yet again. The president is supposed to report to us, and is supposed to be held accountable to us, whether he does that or not, is a different topic. The powers of the president are held in "check" by the other branches of government, but im not talking about balance of power, i am talking about who the president works for, and that is us. The American citizens. Last i checked we use an admittedly antiquated two party voting system to elect a President, hence he is in office by our collective voice. I didn’t say he maintained his position during a term, in the same way. And as we have seen with Clinton, impeachment doesn’t mean removal from office.

  4. #924
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Semantics yet again. The president is supposed to report to us, and is supposed to be held accountable to us, whether he does that or not, is a different topic. The powers of the president are held in "check" by the other branches of government, but im not talking about balance of power, i am talking about who the president works for, and that is us. The American citizens. Last i checked we use an admittedly antiquated two party voting system to elect a President, hence he is in office by our collective voice. I didn’t say he maintained his position during a term, in the same way. And as we have seen with Clinton, impeachment doesn’t mean removal from office.
    Could you please be specific and tell us what it is you want the President to do regarding this reporting to the American people?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #925
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Uh...what? Apdst claims that he can have valid criticisms Obama (even though he's never been president) because Obama works for him. However, he claims that non-military people can't have valid criticisms of the Marines in this story because we've never been in the military - however, the military also works for us. That's not semantics. That's called crushing an argument.
    That is an excellent analysis. Intellectual consistency is not exactly a hallmark with some here. Reversals, flip flops, 180 degree spins - its all normal for some just like eating and breathing as long as it advances the ideology they believe in because they want to believe in it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #926
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Semantics yet again. The president is supposed to report to us, and is supposed to be held accountable to us, whether he does that or not, is a different topic. The powers of the president are held in "check" by the other branches of government, but im not talking about balance of power, i am talking about who the president works for, and that is us. The American citizens. Last i checked we use an admittedly antiquated two party voting system to elect a President, hence he is in office by our collective voice. I didn’t say he maintained his position during a term, in the same way. And as we have seen with Clinton, impeachment doesn’t mean removal from office.
    I'm not going to say any more on this topic. It's a silly distinction. Re Clinton, he remained in office because, although he was impeached, he was not convicted.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #927
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The old saying, "....until you've walked a mile in my mocassins," is more true than not. Anyone is entitled to an opinion on the conduct of these men, of course. As to their motivations, mindset and why they did it, these are best left to those who've walked the walk, in my opinion. To those who say, "I don't care why they did it," I would point out that our legal system does.
    I agree with most of this, but I'll remember this in education threads when I read your posts about teachers.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 01-16-12 at 12:51 PM.

  8. #928
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Crushing argument>? Wow, pat yourself on the back why dont ya.
    Already did.

    There are some important differences however. The President is elected by the people. He is expected to to watch out for out best interests and take the country in the right direction. As such, he holds his position only at by the collective voice of the people. That makes him a public servant. He reports to us. And is supposed to hold himself accountable to us. Not only is it our right to criticize him, its our duty to call him on things that we dont agree with.
    All public workers are public servants and stupid actions by the military can have drastic consequences for the rest of us so it's just as important that we criticize them or perhaps even more so. In any case, apdst said "the president works for me". The military works for citizens as well and no point that you try to make changes this.

    A soldier however is not in the same catagory at all. We do not vote for soldiers, and we have no say in what soldiers do. The military carries out the orders that come down the chain of command and they are only held responsible by those above them in that chain. We can rant and rave all day long but whatever eventual punishment is decided upon, will come from within the military.
    We don't vote for teachers either. They still work for us.

    You can criticize them all you want, but what Apdst is saying is that until you are a soldier you will never understand them.
    So you're saying that apdst used a strawman. Even better.

  9. #929
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I'll remember this in education threads when I read your posts about teachers.
    I don't postulate about the "why's, mindset and motivations" of teachers -- as I said in my post, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #930
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    All public workers are public servants and stupid actions by the military can have drastic consequences for the rest of us so it's just as important that we criticize them or perhaps even more so. In any case, apdst said "the president works for me". The military works for citizens as well and no point that you try to make changes this.
    Like i said, the military doesnt work for you. It protects you. And as i also previously stated, you are more than free to criticize them.


    We don't vote for teachers either. They still work for us.
    And people still criticize the hell out of them.


    So you're saying that apdst used a strawman. Even better.
    Using the word "strawman" is the worst form of debate i have ever encountered. I see it on what seems like every other post i read on here. In debate, and especially in life, invalidating someones argument does not by default validate your own, so using it as your sole form of rebuttal defeats any point you were trying to make up to that. Its used here as an excuse for not having anything smarter to say.
    Last edited by Dpetty; 01-16-12 at 01:09 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •