Page 69 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 1533

Thread: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

  1. #681
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure how much it does or doesn't merit. But I wouldn't spend any time trying to excuse them. Nor would I excuse you. Not only is it childish, not becoming of mature human beings, or any human beings for that matter, it does shed a poor light on them. In today's world, that is something they have to keep in mind, whether any of us like it or not.
    I think this discussion should be limited to those who have taken the life of another individual under combat circumstances. And to those who have watched as someone they care about is killed under the same circumstance.

  2. #682
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    I think this discussion should be limited to those who have taken the life of another individual under combat circumstances. And to those who have watched as someone they care about is killed under the same circumstance.
    When the military stops representing me and my country and when the consequences of actions described in the OP don't have the potential to affect my life, my family and my country, then I'll agree with you.

  3. #683
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    I think this discussion should be limited to those who have taken the life of another individual under combat circumstances. And to those who have watched as someone they care about is killed under the same circumstance.
    Alright. Can we at least agree that the fact that they took a video of it, which then somehow found its way onto the internet, was stupid and shortsighted?

  4. #684
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Alright. Can we at least agree that the fact that they took a video of it, which then somehow found its way onto the internet, was stupid and shortsighted?
    Yep. Took stupidity to a whole new level. It suddenly went from, "What??? Are you guy's ****'n nuts???? Knock it off!!!" to an international incident that will undoubtedly change these guys' lives forever. What a shame.

    Edited my slang so it wouldn't be seen as circumventing the word censor.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 01-13-12 at 08:12 PM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #685
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Wars have been started for less....


    I think.
    Last edited by Captain America; 01-13-12 at 08:13 PM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  6. #686
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Wars have been started for less....


    I think.
    Football War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  7. #687
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Wow. That is so stupid.

  8. #688
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,156

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Wow. That is so stupid.
    Not at all. Some people talk about football (the real thing) like it was a matter of life and death, but it's much more serious than that.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #689
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I'll meet you half way, filming it was a ridiculously stupid decision. And I hope they weren't so stupid as to post it themselves to Youtube. And I agree a victory is a worthy event to celebrate, although how you do it is critical.

    Now yes as an officer I'm often shielded from the perspective of that man on the absolute front line, sending lead, receiving lead, taking the fight to the enemy and engaging him in close combat. I do try as I can to get myself out there as much as I can, I'm obviously not in Afghanistan and there's no lead being slung in Korea so I can't claim combat experience. However I do try to involve myself in the daily lives of the Soldiers within my Platoon, not because I'm a micro-manger but because I want to know what's going on. Out here in Korea I personally lead missions, again its not the same as combat at all, but I do have an understanding of the frustrations my Soldiers go through while on mission. I'm part of a truck company so our missions always involve driving, out here on Korean roads I'm sure you remember is completely insane and trying to maneuver a massive truck makes it all the worse. But since I'm out there they can talk to me about their frustrations with their equipment, the missions, whatever else, and I can understand and talk in the same language because I see it.

    Now I brought all that up not because I'm saying I know what the stresses of combat are like because I lead convoys in Korea, I brought it up to acknowledge your point that officers are often detached and truly don't understand their Soldiers and let you know I do what I can about it.

    However, just because I understand their frustrations doesn't mean I have to accept their wrongful actions that may come from them. If I saw a group of my Soldiers pissing on some Taliban, and it was only me, I'd immediately put a stop to it. Not only for all the reasons I mentioned about what happens if it gets out, but because something is wrong and it needs to be corrected. I would see it as a sign that the stresses and horrors of this place have seriously gotten to these Soldiers and they need help and its my job to make sure they get it. Chaplain, psychological help, something has to be done because its not normal behavior to do something like this.

    I know the military, given personnel and mission needs, have sometimes turned a blind eye towards Soldier stress or trauma. I could see myself telling my CO, these guys need to be taken off for a few days(although not saying exactly what they did) and having it shot down because we really need the people. And if that was the case they'd have my special attention along with their NCO, who would know about it and I'd expect an extra cautious eye on them too.

    And why do I do it? Not only for the mission, I've made that clear. I also would do it for the Soldiers themselves they deserve to have someone watching their back when it comes to issues like this, and its important to brief your Soldiers or help them understand better what stress looks like in another way so they can watch their buddies. NCO involvement is obviously critical too. That is leadership responsibility, those men deserve someone to look after their mental well being just as much as their physical. Their buddies deserve to not work in an AO where something like that just happened, and now are facing even more pissed off Taliban. The Soldiers deserve to not have their lives ruined because of a single stupid incident. The Soldiers who sacrificed, whether their health, marriage, mental well being, or their lives deserve that mission to be accomplished so it was not in vain.

    All those reasons are why I have my opinion, and wouldn't tolerate this in the slightest. And if it did get out of my control and a video was posted to Youtube, what can I do besides follow the rules and regulations? At that point, its out of the PL's hand's there's nothing more I can do besides speak for their behalf, and if the investigators have the same opinion as I do about the role of leadership its probably my ass in deep **** too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    as an officer it's your job to shut down stuff like that. but you should know that your diagnosis of the Marines involved is off - this is entirely normal behavior, well within the range of typical responses to the stresses of combat. It doesn't mean that they are psychiatric cases - it means that they are young.
    I disagree that its normal behavior, and if it is normal behavior then it needs to stop becoming normal behavior. I don't care if I'm in charge of a PLT of Marines or Soldiers, that kind of behavior won't have a place here. Victory should be celebrated but some way different, there is too much risk, all of it unnecessary, for celebrating like this. It would also be my professional judgment that urinating on a body is a sign something may have gone a little funny in your head, and its worth someone with proper training looking into. Hell even if there's nothing wrong with them, it provides a chance to explain to them exactly what could happen and why I won't tolerate it.

    I know I keep saying Soldiers and not Marines or personnel, its a force of habit. And I'm at Camp Red Cloud Korea, like my location says.

  10. #690
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Not at all. Some people talk about football (the real thing) like it was a matter of life and death, but it's much more serious than that.
    Soccer is much more serious than a matter of life and death?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •