Page 11 of 154 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 1533

Thread: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

  1. #101
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Because I believe people should be tried by a jury of their peers. I suspect their judgement might be just as harsh. I realize that you might prefer the trial to be held in San Francisco and judgement rendered by a jury composed of Code Pink members. I don't.
    Uh...what? Seriously, what region of your ass did you pull that out of? Simply because I don't understand your reasoning for wanting the court martial board to be made up of soldiers who have seen combat (and therefore will be more sympathetic) doesn't automatically mean that I fall into your completely failure of a stereotype about liberals. Nice try, though. Maybe next you can make up something about how I watch Keith Olbermann in the nude or am posting from my mobile device while I'm in some park during yet another OWS protest. Wait, why am I giving you ideas? I'm sure you have plenty of your own.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    The correct response should be "Yes, but the military should hand down the punishment, not some bureaucrat in DC." It should have nothing to do with who makes up the board. That's like saying that a person on trial for murdering his cheating spouse should have a jury made up of those who have also had their spouse's cheat on them. The military doesn't work that way. I would hope that those pissing on the corpses get punished. While I understand why they did it, it doesn't make it right that they did it.
    Your analogy is faulty. Again, maybe your comment is directed at somebody else, but I have not defended what they did, nor do I think it is defensable. What I find amazing is the number of people who think that this is something new and different in warfare. Too many sanitzed Hollywood war movies, I guess.

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Morally superior? To people who have reduced themselves to pissing on dead people and joking about it? Clearly that is a perfectly healthy and respectable way of dealing with traumatic stress.
    I didn't say morally superior. I said morally outraged. And admit it, it feels kind of good to be morally outraged now and again, doesn't it? Especially when you don't much like soldiers to begin with and don't respect the job they do.

  4. #104
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Your analogy is faulty. Again, maybe your comment is directed at somebody else, but I have not defended what they did, nor do I think it is defensable. What I find amazing is the number of people who think that this is something new and different in warfare. Too many sanitzed Hollywood war movies, I guess.
    Nowhere did I imply that this is new or that worse things haven't happened. I think that the behavior is disgusting and that the soldiers responsible should be punished for what they did. I also am disgusted by the macho posturing that is going on. I also don't base any of my views on movies, especially Hollywood ones. You are defending them because you have wish that special provisions be made to the court martial board so that their case will be viewed with more sympathy.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Uh...what? Seriously, what region of your ass did you pull that out of? Simply because I don't understand your reasoning for wanting the court martial board to be made up of soldiers who have seen combat (and therefore will be more sympathetic) doesn't automatically mean that I fall into your completely failure of a stereotype about liberals. Nice try, though. Maybe next you can make up something about how I watch Keith Olbermann in the nude or am posting from my mobile device while I'm in some park during yet another OWS protest. Wait, why am I giving you ideas? I'm sure you have plenty of your own.
    This just in - court marital boards are made up of soldiers. As I said, I realize you might prefer a jury of Jane Fondas, but that probably won't happen.

  6. #106
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Nowhere did I imply that this is new or that worse things haven't happened. I think that the behavior is disgusting and that the soldiers responsible should be punished for what they did. I also am disgusted by the macho posturing that is going on. I also don't base any of my views on movies, especially Hollywood ones. You are defending them because you have wish that special provisions be made to the court martial board so that their case will be viewed with more sympathy.
    And you're a left wing hippy who would just as soon spit on a soldier as look at him. See, I know as much about you as you do about me.

    And no, I expect they may be judged more harshly by those who have actually seen combat. But I don't expect you to believe that.
    Last edited by Wiggen; 01-12-12 at 03:03 AM.

  7. #107
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    This just in - court marital boards are made up of soldiers. As I said, I realize you might prefer a jury of Jane Fondas, but that probably won't happen.
    Wow, get over yourself. Making up bull**** stereotypes about me does absolutely nothing for your argument.

  8. #108
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    And you're a left wing hippy who would just as soon spit on a soldier as look at him. See, I know as much about you as you do about me.
    You know absolutely nothing about me or my politics. Show me where I presumed to know as much about you as you are claiming to know about me?

  9. #109
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,817
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    I didn't say morally superior. I said morally outraged. And admit it, it feels kind of good to be morally outraged now and again, doesn't it? Especially when you don't much like soldiers to begin with and don't respect the job they do.
    No where in this thread did DrP say that. You are jumping to invalid conclusions here.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  10. #110
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: U.S. Marines Urinate On Dead Bodies In Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    I didn't say morally superior. I said morally outraged. And admit it, it feels kind of good to be morally outraged now and again, doesn't it? Especially when you don't much like soldiers to begin with and don't respect the job they do.
    I had a grandfather and an uncle who served. I can't say that either of them would approve of soldiers pissing on dead bodies.

    I'm pretty amoral. I'm approaching this more from a position of intelligence. Videotaping yourself pissing on a fallen enemy, which could in no way improve America's image in the world and is a slap in the face to your fellow servicemen, would probably not be considered particularly intelligent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 11 of 154 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •