Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Federal court blocks Oklahoma ban on Shariah law

  1. #31
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,197

    Re: Federal court blocks Oklahoma ban on Shariah law

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No, according to the census, there are 1,349,000 Muslims in the US. Out of 311 million people, so that is 0.4%. And the majority of Muslims worldwide oppose basing a government on Sharia. So, at the most, that is 0.2% of the country that wants to replace the constitution with a new system based on Sharia law.

    So, how close to the number they need does that put them? In order to amend the constitution you need 2/3 of both the House and the Senate. So far, there is 1 Muslim in the House and he would never support anything like a theocracy, and zero Muslims in the senate. You also need a majority in 3/4 of the states. So far I don't think Muslims make up more than 2% in any state, so Muslims that believe we should replace the constitution with Sharia law would be 1% even in the most Muslim states...

    So yeah...
    The numbers are based on a telephone poll..

    More realistic estimates state that there are 6+ million Muslims in the US, which is 2%.

    But the sad fact is no one knows for sure how many Muslims are in the US.
    PeteEU

  2. #32
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Federal court blocks Oklahoma ban on Shariah law

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The numbers are based on a telephone poll..

    More realistic estimates state that there are 6+ million Muslims in the US, which is 2%.

    But the sad fact is no one knows for sure how many Muslims are in the US.
    Source please. But regardless, even if it is 2%, obviously that is nowhere near the say 75% that you need to replace our system of laws with Sharia law, so all the lip flapping about Sharia still has no rational basis. It's just an outlet for bigots to spew their religious hatred. Or perhaps more precisely, it is a means for politicians to appeal to the religious hatred of a segment of the voters.

  3. #33
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-19-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Federal court blocks Oklahoma ban on Shariah law

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    It isn't really debatable whether a law that gives lower status to one religion than other religions is bigotry. Of course it is. That doesn't require any speculation or anything, that's just bigotry on its face.
    Last time I checked, law wasn't based on religion.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  4. #34
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Federal court blocks Oklahoma ban on Shariah law

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    Last time I checked, law wasn't based on religion.
    Not sure what you mean. Can you explain your argument?

  5. #35
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,541

    Re: Federal court blocks Oklahoma ban on Shariah law

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    I don't necessarily agree.

    A judge ought to consider whatever law is relevant over the matter being considered. Normally, an American judge would be presiding over a matter that falls entirely under American law, and so should only consider that law. I don't know how unusual it would be for an American judge to be presiding over a case that falls under the jurisdiction of any foreign laws, but in any such case, that judge should certainly take those laws into account.
    I think the few times when foreign law may be taken into consideration is when the matter involves foreign imports etc. For example, in the US it may be legal to import X, however exporting X from country Y may be illegal. If X is found to have come from Y then I would think the judge may find ground to rule that the person committed an illegal act. The same may be true of somebody who breaks child custody laws. However I'm not too sure.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #36
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    40,039

    Re: Federal court blocks Oklahoma ban on Shariah law

    Of course, the Feds were correct in blocking that law. Had they not done so, then what about Mosaic law? Yes, Mosaic law also exists in the United States. Consider what is kosher. This is written into contracts in the Jewish community. In choosing to block Sharia law but not Mosaic law, the State of Oklahoma was essentially Violating the First Amendment, which states:

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    Pertinent part bolded for emphasis.
    Last edited by danarhea; 01-18-12 at 08:58 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #37
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    52,322

    Re: Federal court blocks Oklahoma ban on Shariah law

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    It still amazes me if someone dislikes something the bigotry card or race card is played. There could be other reasons for not liking Shariah law.
    It's bigotry or ignorance. There are no other options here, and in a scenario like this one the second probably has roots in the first.

    It doesn't matter what "reason" someone "doesn't like" Sharia Law. It's a problem that doesn't exist. There is no Sharia Law in this country. No Islamic, Christian, or Jewish rule can ever override our rights or laws. The Old Testament explains a lot of different times it's ok to kill someone, but if that conflicts with US murder laws they can't be applied in a court.

    So, either people support this bill because they hate Muslims or they support the bill because they have some idiotic idea that Islamic law can actually override US law. It can't.

    Ignorance, hate, or both.

    Like others have mentioned, there are times when foreign laws or religious laws are correct to apply in a court. An example case, which was partly responsible for this "controversy" was where a dispute came up in terms of ownership of a mosque. Some guys had been ousted as owners of the mosque, and they were suing in court saying this was done incorrectly. The ownership contract specified that ownership and operations would run in compliance with Sharia Law.

    So the court had to apply Sharia Law in the case, to the extent that it determined how the contract worked. The court ruled that the contract had been followed as written, so there was no grounds for the lawsuit.

    And people freaked out. "Sharia law takes hold in the US! Husbands can beat their wives!!!"

    Idiocy. And hatred.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •