Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midnight?

  1. #11
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    The clock is dumb. They did nothing with it during the Cuban Missile Crisis which is probably the closest we came to global destruction since the first atomic bomb was tested.
    That's true, although in fairness, that whole incident was only two weeks long. They usually just update the clock like every 4 years or so. It isn't meant to be an up to the second kind of thing, so it doesn't reflect short term jumps in the risk like that. But yeah, having said that, that does make it less useful.

  2. #12
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Nuclear energy is the long term solution to global warming, but allowing nuclear power to spread increases the risk of nuclear weapons proliferation. So, yeah, they're very much tied together.
    Did you read all of my post or just this part?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  3. #13
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Did you read all of my post or just this part?
    Yeah, I just responded to the issue you brought up that I thought was interesting. The rest I don't buy and don't really find interesting.

  4. #14
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    That's true, although in fairness, that whole incident was only two weeks long. They usually just update the clock like every 4 years or so. It isn't meant to be an up to the second kind of thing, so it doesn't reflect short term jumps in the risk like that. But yeah, having said that, that does make it less useful.
    The blockade was only two weeks, the escalation leading up to was nearly 6 months.

    Regardless, the clock is pretty much a symbolic pile of crap.

  5. #15
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Yeah, I just responded to the issue you brought up that I thought was interesting. The rest I don't buy and don't really find interesting.
    You don't buy it? You agreed with the generalized concept and responded without reflective thought. I applied the concept after analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating the information. I then applied the concept.

    You agree with the concept but don't buy it or find it interesting? That's interesting...
    Last edited by Μολὼν λαβέ; 01-15-12 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    A decade or two ago it was a big laugh. Now the doomsday clock is a big yawn. The perpetrators of this farce know less about the future than my dog.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #17
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    You don't buy it?
    I don't buy that Iran is insane enough to start a nuclear war knowing that it would mean their obliteration. In fact, that idea is obviously ridiculous.

  8. #18
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I can't believe anyone still pays any attention to those guys.
    Yeah, why we do we listen to panels of scientists. ****ing liberals. Are you just being dense on purpose or do you really not understand what is going on?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    A decade or two ago it was a big laugh. Now the doomsday clock is a big yawn. The perpetrators of this farce know less about the future than my dog.
    You're funny thinking that it has anything to do with the future instead of:

    "the measure of how capable mankind is of imploding on itself".
    Last edited by whysoserious; 01-15-12 at 06:48 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    The clock is dumb. They did nothing with it during the Cuban Missile Crisis which is probably the closest we came to global destruction since the first atomic bomb was tested.

    Add on the fact that they're now including "climate change" as a factor to move the clock.
    You mean there are still people that still believe in the climate change hoax ??

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #20
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Doomsday clock inches world closer to destruction:How close have we come to midni

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You mean there are still people that still believe in the climate change hoax ??
    Hope not, the climate has been changing since the atmoshpere formed on this planet. Anywho, the Doomsday Clock represent how close we are to "imminent destruction." Only the AGW retards and goose-stepping activists think it will bring imminent destruction. Any rational AGW supporter would NEVER claim it's bringing on imminent destruction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •