Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 159

Thread: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee list

  1. #91
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    All your whining is not only for naught, the more the Reps. in Congress even mention it the worse they will look in the eyes of most Americans. With an approval rating of 9%, Americans are fed up with Congress and the obstuctionist T's in particular.



    Peter M. Shane: Recess Appointments and President Obama's Surprising Restraint
    I reckon that's why the Republicans won the biggest landslide in 60 years during the midterms.

    He could have used his power under Article II to adjourn Congress, thus creating his own recess of the Senate during which he could make these appointments.
    The president can't arbitrarily adjourn Congress.
    Last edited by apdst; 01-07-12 at 06:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,093

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Oh, so now you're suggesting he knowingly and intentionally broke the law?

    I've seen Libbos call for the hangman's noose for much less, in the past. Why are ya'll so forgiving, now?
    No. You are attempting to trump up a case to pretend that he did.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,408

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I reckon that's why the Republicans won the biggest landslide in 60 years during the midterms.


    I guess alot of people believed that the Reps. actually had a plan to help the economy and unemployment. There is already alot of buyers regret about that lie. Get ready for a BIG surprise come November.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The president can't arbitrarily adjourn Congress.
    Oh yes he can.

    Section 3 - State of the Union, Convening Congress

    He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

    The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
    Last edited by iguanaman; 01-07-12 at 06:35 PM.

  4. #94
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Oh yes he can.

    Section 3 - State of the Union, Convening Congress

    He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

    The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
    Nothing in there about the president having the power to arbitraily adjourn Congress, nor adjourn Congress as his will, or convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #95
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No. You are attempting to trump up a case to pretend that he did.
    Well, no, it's a fact that Congress was still in session when he made the appointment. He circumvented the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #96
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,151

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Plays a better hand ? LOL ..... when you play as this in a real poker game in the Wild Wild West, you get shot for cheating.

    The GOP followed the rules. Liberals whine because they disagree with the motive. But they followed the rules.

    Here, Obama does not follow the rules. To Hell with oversight. To hell with checking these folks out. And to hell with the same process he endorsed as a Senator. The jackass just put two folks on the NLRB via his own whim. Completely bypassed the Senate. Completely ignored the Constitution.

    And the libs cheer.
    The GOP leadership in the Senate has abused its authority and failed to do its job. While its ok to use administrative procedures to block the occasional appointment, they have turned this into the general MO. It is a complete abuse of power to use the process to effectively shut down the government. You can't just not make appointments on a wholesale basis. There have been as many as 200 appointments open and blocked by the Senate. The people's work has to get done. Elections have consequences. We have a Democratic President. He has the right to make his appointments. Only the most egregious of appointments should be stopped.

    The Senate has gamed the system with its virtual permanent session. Spare me your disingenuous outrage that the White House came up with a game of its own. I don't condone either action. The Senate did not uphold its responsibilities to advise and consent and the job had to be done.

    For those strict constitutionalists: what would the founding father's say about any of these games.

  7. #97
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    The GOP leadership in the Senate has abused its authority and failed to do its job. While its ok to use administrative procedures to block the occasional appointment, they have turned this into the general MO. It is a complete abuse of power to use the process to effectively shut down the government. You can't just not make appointments on a wholesale basis. There have been as many as 200 appointments open and blocked by the Senate. The people's work has to get done. Elections have consequences. We have a Democratic President. He has the right to make his appointments. Only the most egregious of appointments should be stopped.

    The Senate has gamed the system with its virtual permanent session. Spare me your disingenuous outrage that the White House came up with a game of its own. I don't condone either action. The Senate did not uphold its responsibilities to advise and consent and the job had to be done.

    For those strict constitutionalists: what would the founding father's say about any of these games.
    I'm sure you were just as outraged when the Democrats did the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    The GOP leadership in the Senate has abused its authority and failed to do its job. While its ok to use administrative procedures to block the occasional appointment, they have turned this into the general MO. It is a complete abuse of power to use the process to effectively shut down the government. You can't just not make appointments on a wholesale basis. There have been as many as 200 appointments open and blocked by the Senate. The people's work has to get done. Elections have consequences. We have a Democratic President. He has the right to make his appointments. Only the most egregious of appointments should be stopped.

    The Senate has gamed the system with its virtual permanent session. Spare me your disingenuous outrage that the White House came up with a game of its own. I don't condone either action. The Senate did not uphold its responsibilities to advise and consent and the job had to be done.

    For those strict constitutionalists: what would the founding father's say about any of these games.
    You are not close to being in a position to label anything I do as "disengenuous". If you want to just disagree, fine. But otherwise, shove it.

    Like it or not, the Republicans did not invent this procedure. The Democrats did, and as per the Constitution, the Senate makes its rules. Bush never went nuclear in response to the Democrats. But now Obama did.

    <sigh>

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,408

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    You are not close to being in a position to label anything I do as "disengenuous". If you want to just disagree, fine. But otherwise, shove it.

    Like it or not, the Republicans did not invent this procedure. The Democrats did, and as per the Constitution, the Senate makes its rules. Bush never went nuclear in response to the Democrats. But now Obama did.

    <sigh>

    LOL Bush made many more recess appointments than Obama. Get over it.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Democrat NLRB ‘recess’ appointments rushed, don’t appear on White House nominee l

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    LOL Bush made many more recess appointments than Obama. Get over it.
    As has been pointed out already (you missed it), a large factor in Recess Appointments is the make-up of the Senate. If the party of the President also hold 59+ seats in the Senate for your first two years, then you won't have need of Recess Appointments.

    Did I use too many words of 3 syllables or more ?

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •