Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 434

Thread: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

  1. #421
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Since it should be obvious that racism is racism, it should also be obvious that taking someone's race( even though I don't believe in the term ) into account for any reason( affirmative action ) is also racism.
    I agree with you. However, racism was soo rampant at one time against minorities that affirmitive action was necessary to combat it.

    While there is still some racism out there though, I don't think it is rampant enough to justify having affirmitive action. I believe that affirmitive action should go away as well.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 12-28-11 at 12:25 PM.

  2. #422
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Politics IS ideology.
    I disagree. But if it is, then lets stop debating politics. Debate issues.

    Enough of this "someone in your ideological club did this or thinks that, so all of them do." It's pointless, and it's the most basic faulty logic possible. Don't do it, and don't let anyone do it to you.
    Last edited by misterman; 12-28-11 at 05:18 PM.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  3. #423
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I agree with you. However, racism was soo rampant at one time against minorities that affirmitive action was necessary to combat it.

    While there is still some racism out there though, I don't think it is rampant enough to justify having affirmitive action. I believe that affirmitive action should go away as well.
    wrong. AA was created to deal with existing discrimination against minorities and to address the lasting-results of it.

    I believe, these results still exist. However, I believe AA should take socio-economic status into account, as all blacks & Hispanics are NOT the same.

  4. #424
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    wrong. AA was created to deal with existing discrimination against minorities and to address the lasting-results of it.

    I believe, these results still exist. However, I believe AA should take socio-economic status into account, as all blacks & Hispanics are NOT the same.
    How about just get rid of the racial aspect altogether? There are poor whites too. Just have AA for poor people, of whatever race.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  5. #425
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    How about just get rid of the racial aspect altogether? There are poor whites too. Just have AA for poor people, of whatever race.
    poor whites never suffered from the kind of discrimination that poor & middle-class blacks have suffered from in the USA.

    but I understand your point, and I agree that poor whites are more entitled to govt. assistance than wealthy blacks.

    AA for wealthy blacks looks more like reperations than anything else.

  6. #426
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    poor whites never suffered from the kind of discrimination that poor & middle-class blacks have suffered from in the USA.
    Sure they did.

    The Irish, hillbillies, etc. - documented discrimination occurred. What about women? Should women have AA? And there are plenty of other unfair disadvantages besides discrimination.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  7. #427
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    wrong. AA was created to deal with existing discrimination against minorities and to address the lasting-results of it.

    I believe, these results still exist. However, I believe AA should take socio-economic status into account, as all blacks & Hispanics are NOT the same.
    Existing discrimination against minorities? Sounds a lot like racism to me, which is what I said in my earlier statement. If you wouldn't call it racism, what would you call the reason for "exisiting discrimination against minorities"?

    And AA doesn't take socio-economic status into account so I don't believe it should exist in todays time. If it starts doing that, then yes, I think it has a purpose. But as it stands now, AA does not, I think it should go.

  8. #428
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    poor whites never suffered from the kind of discrimination that poor & middle-class blacks have suffered from in the USA.
    Ever try growing up as a poor white kid in a majority poor black neighborhood? Try it sometime and let me know. My father did and let me tell you, he had it worse than a poor black kid in the same neighborhood.

  9. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Ever try growing up as a poor white kid in a majority poor black neighborhood? Try it sometime and let me know. My father did and let me tell you, he had it worse than a poor black kid in the same neighborhood.
    from 2nd grade to 9th grade, I was a racial & religious minority. and no, it was not fun.

  10. #430
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Existing discrimination against minorities? Sounds a lot like racism to me, which is what I said in my earlier statement. If you wouldn't call it racism, what would you call the reason for "exisiting discrimination against minorities"?

    And AA doesn't take socio-economic status into account so I don't believe it should exist in todays time. If it starts doing that, then yes, I think it has a purpose. But as it stands now, AA does not, I think it should go.
    Do away with it all together and may the best person get the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •