Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 434

Thread: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Tons, you say? Like who? Robert Byrd?
    are you suggesting that huge numbers of Southern Democrats did NOT abandon them for the Republican Party, after the signing of the Voting Rights Act & Civil Rights Act????

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Democrats

    After the Civil Rights Movement successfully challenged the Jim Crow laws and other forms of institutionalized racism, and after the Democrats as a whole came to symbolize the mainstream left of the United States, the form, if not the content, of Southern Democratic politics began to change. At that point, most Southern Democrats defected to the Republican Party, and helped accelerate the latter's transformation into a more conservative organization.
    Last edited by Thunder; 12-24-11 at 01:12 PM.

  2. #152
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,450

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    are you suggesting that huge numbers of Southern Democrats did NOT abandon them for the Republican Party, after the signing of the Voting Rights Act & Civil Rights Act????
    Maybe a few, but what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

    Percentage wise, there were more Republicans that voted in favor of the Civil Rights Act (94% in the Senate; 82% in the House) than Democrats (73% in the Senate; 78% in the House). Why would Democrats switch to the party that supported the Civil Rights Act the most?

    In the Senate, there were two Republicans that voted against the act and there were 17 Democrats. In the House, there were 24 Republican no votes and 61 Democrat.

    As usual, history doesn't support your wild claims.

    Also, there's no way that, "tons", of Democrats switched parties, because the Democrats didn't lose the congressional majority until 1994.

    You're more than welcome to show us a list of the, "tons", of Democrats that switched to the Republican party. Be sure and provide primary source material in the form of their own words why they switched parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Maybe a few, but what you're saying doesn't make any sense.....
    yeah??????


    please name the Southern state-legislatures that are run by Democrats.

  4. #154
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,450

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    are you suggesting that huge numbers of Southern Democrats did NOT abandon them for the Republican Party, after the signing of the Voting Rights Act & Civil Rights Act????

    Southern Democrats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    After the Civil Rights Movement successfully challenged the Jim Crow laws and other forms of institutionalized racism, and after the Democrats as a whole came to symbolize the mainstream left of the United States, the form, if not the content, of Southern Democratic politics began to change. At that point, most Southern Democrats defected to the Republican Party, and helped accelerate the latter's transformation into a more conservative organization.
    "most Southern Democrats", doesn't tell us anything. We have no idea why they switched parties. Considering that there was more support for the Civil Rights Act within Republican ranks, these Southern Democrats could have wanted to be identified with the party that supported the CRA the most.

    Robert Byrd didn't switch parties and we all know he was a racist cock-sucker. It's funny how Libbos defend him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #155
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,450

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    yeah??????


    please name the Southern state-legislatures that are run by Democrats.
    What's that got to do with a damn thing, here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    "most Southern Democrats", doesn't tell us anything. We have no idea why they switched parties.....
    the answer is: 1

    and can you guess which one? the one place that had the bravery to secede from the CSA during the Civil War: West Virginia.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    "most Southern Democrats", doesn't tell us anything. We have no idea why they switched parties....
    is this ignorance..or denial?

  8. #158
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,450

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    is this ignorance..or denial?
    You're making an assumption and failing to provide evidence to support that assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're making an assumption and failing to provide evidence to support that assumption.
    I provided an article.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama threatened, called 'monkey' by ex-Carson council candidate

    The degree to which the Southern Democrats had abandoned the party became evident in the 1968 presidential election when the electoral votes of every former Confederate state except Texas went to either Republican Richard Nixon or independent Wallace

    History of the United States Democratic Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •