Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 470

Thread: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

  1. #381
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    If the atheists would have filled up all the spots and the religious were still complaining (which I would think would be fairly likely) then I'd agree with you that they need to just get over it. This isn't the case. We live in a civilized world and I expect a little human decency out of people now and then. If you get all of those spots use them or allow others to use them. Atheists like these aren't making their case any better by acting like dicks and only reinforces stereotypes. If they really want to do some good for their cause go work in a soup kitchen for an afternoon with "American Atheists" shirts on. Fill up their spots with "Happy holidays and best wishes from American Atheists". Force people to recognize that we're no different.

    I just can't say how sad I am that so few of my fellow heathen's on this forum see absolutely no problem with what was done here.
    Maybe they are using them. By putting nothing there, they are representing their beliefs. Don't they have a right to do that?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  2. #382
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    The fact that you don't like their displays isn't a reason for them to be taken down.
    1. You can't take a display down if there's no display there. That was part of the complaints the group in the OP, and others in this thread, has made. That they've got a multitude of spots with nothing in them.

    2. You can dislike and speak displeasure about what someone is doing without suggesting that they should be forcefully stopped from what they're doing. You can suggest someone is acting like a dick without suggesting they should be forced to refrain from acting in such a way.

  3. #383
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Maybe they are using them. By putting nothing there, they are representing their beliefs. Don't they have a right to do that?
    They have a right to do it, doesn't mean it's not childish behavior. They are acting like children that don't want to let the other kids play with their toys even if they aren't playing with them. Any normal person would discourage this behavior in their child, why can't we all agree that it's bad behavior here?
    Last edited by roughdraft274; 12-19-11 at 10:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  4. #384
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Maybe they are using them. By putting nothing there, they are representing their beliefs. Don't they have a right to do that?
    So athiests believe in....nothing? They're practioners of Solipsism now? Do we have anything, at all, to suggest in any way shape or form that they've left them empty as some sort of representation of their beliefs or are you just drawing crap from thin air at this point? Going by this ridiculous and asinine notion, it appears that "athiest" beliefs are being "Forced on us" (using the wonderful logic that a nativity "forces" religion upon those that view it) ALL the time because there's a lot of public space that has "nothing" in it which, according to evanescense, is apparently a represetntation of athiest belief.

  5. #385
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    They have a right to do it, doesn't mean it's not childish behavior. They are acting like children that don't want to let the other kids play with their toys even if they aren't playing with them. Any normal person would discourage this behavior in their child, why can't we all agree that it's bad behavior here?
    For some people, acting like a dick is only something to point out when its either being done by a group of people you dislike or targetting a group you do like. Other than that some people prefer to rationalize it away because science forbid we ever suggest a group we get behind do something wrong or a group we love to see stomped on may actually be right.

  6. #386
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    As I said earlier, the complaining isn't a problem for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So athiests believe in....nothing? They're practioners of Solipsism now? Do we have anything, at all, to suggest in any way shape or form that they've left them empty as some sort of representation of their beliefs or are you just drawing crap from thin air at this point?
    They won the displays fairly, as far as I can tell. And they're using those displays as they see fit. I can't prove why they chose to put nothing in them. But who cares? People must have really empty lives if they're going to cry and whine over this trivial nonsense. Can't they make their own displays somewhere else? WWJD?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Going by this ridiculous and asinine notion, it appears that "athiest" beliefs are being "Forced on us" (using the wonderful logic that a nativity "forces" religion upon those that view it) ALL the time because there's a lot of public space that has "nothing" in it which, according to evanescense, is apparently a represetntation of athiest belief.
    I haven't suggested any such thing.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #387
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If we assume your claim is correct(which I do not believe),
    What claim? That there are MULTIPLE possable things they could be bothered by other than JUST that they don't have their "monopoly" anymore? Yeah, how CrAzZzZzZzZy of me to ask you to believe that.

    then it is crying over trivial ****.
    On any kind of national stage, yeah. And if people were making that argument perhaps there'd be a different reaction. Instead you had people making idiotic statements like the religious people are butthurt because they lost their monopoly and then backing said retarded statements up with quotes that don't actually back up that statement. When posters make stupid arguments then the debate tends to actually talk about those stupid arguments.

    What looks to me, considering the fact we are closing on on 400 posts, the idea that the complaint is because they did not say something sounds kinda silly.
    At this point, it seems we're closing onto 400 posts because people keep making stupid comments, going through ****ing mental gymnastics to insult the religious people in the OP while doing similar acrobatics to attack those suggesting the athiest groups in questions acted like dicks.

    The much more likely thing, considering the OP, is that this is more of the war on christmas type crap. A religious group lost their monopoly.
    And if you want to stereotype, seems its equally much more likely that this is more "OMG athiests are being persecuted, quick! MUST ATTACK RELIGION" type crap. Some athiests acted like dicks but science forbid we admit that because we all know its only those ignorant belief having jackass religious folks that can be dicks.

  8. #388
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    They won the displays fairly, as far as I can tell.
    Agreed. There's no evidence at all that they got them through devious means, and suggesting such is rather stupid.

    And they're using those displays as they see fit.
    Indeed, seemingly in a way that I personally think is ridiculous dickish and completely tactless. They're using one display specifically to target and negatively mock a singular modern religion, seeking to use a negative assertion of someone elses belief to push their own belief rather than a positive assertion of their own thoughts (something I think in a public venue is dickish to do, whether its a Christian telling anothe religion they're going to burn in hell or they follow a false god or athiests going after Christians and mocking their belief). They're using a double digit number of displays to do absolutely nothing, essentially squatting on them so they aren't used by others...again, something I find incredibly dickish and akin to the ridiculous "IF I can't have [x], NO ONE CAN!" childish mentality.

    I can't prove why they chose to put nothing in them. But who cares? People must have really empty lives if they're going to cry and whine over this trivial nonsense. Can't they make their own displays somewhere else? WWJD?
    Well, I don't really care what WWJD, perhaps ask that question to someone whose devoutly Christian and it'd matter.

    As to the people in the OP, I can understand being upset. This is trivial on a national stage. I can understand as a local issue being rather annoyed by this, especially with it being a seemingly long standing tradition in the town that those displays held Christmas decorations, leading to the possability that it may've been tradition for some of those complaining to traverse the park during the holiday season with family. These local things become trivialized on a national scene, but I disagree with the notion of them being necessarily trivial on a local level.

    As to trivial for us to be discussing? Well yes. But a **** TON of stuff we talk about on this forum is trivial. That's nothing new. A **** ton of what gets complained about on here is rather trivial as well. Arguing about the trivial, to a point, is part of why boards like these manage to exist for a decent bit of time. However, for many, it seems this thread has transitioned from just talking about the OP to this strange standing of ground on peoples opinion about the action being taken in a very generalized sense.

    I haven't suggested any such thing.
    You are suggesting it if you're suggesting that somehow the "nothing" being displayed in their boxes is a representation of athiest views.

  9. #389
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Agreed. There's no evidence at all that they got them through devious means, and suggesting such is rather stupid.



    Indeed, seemingly in a way that I personally think is ridiculous dickish and completely tactless. They're using one display specifically to target and negatively mock a singular modern religion, seeking to use a negative assertion of someone elses belief to push their own belief rather than a positive assertion of their own thoughts (something I think in a public venue is dickish to do, whether its a Christian telling anothe religion they're going to burn in hell or they follow a false god or athiests going after Christians and mocking their belief). They're using a double digit number of displays to do absolutely nothing, essentially squatting on them so they aren't used by others...again, something I find incredibly dickish and akin to the ridiculous "IF I can't have [x], NO ONE CAN!" childish mentality.



    Well, I don't really care what WWJD, perhaps ask that question to someone whose devoutly Christian and it'd matter.

    As to the people in the OP, I can understand being upset. This is trivial on a national stage. I can understand as a local issue being rather annoyed by this, especially with it being a seemingly long standing tradition in the town that those displays held Christmas decorations, leading to the possability that it may've been tradition for some of those complaining to traverse the park during the holiday season with family. These local things become trivialized on a national scene, but I disagree with the notion of them being necessarily trivial on a local level.

    As to trivial for us to be discussing? Well yes. But a **** TON of stuff we talk about on this forum is trivial. That's nothing new. A **** ton of what gets complained about on here is rather trivial as well. Arguing about the trivial, to a point, is part of why boards like these manage to exist for a decent bit of time. However, for many, it seems this thread has transitioned from just talking about the OP to this strange standing of ground on peoples opinion about the action being taken in a very generalized sense.



    You are suggesting it if you're suggesting that somehow the "nothing" being displayed in their boxes is a representation of athiest views.
    Truthfully, I can't tell you their motives, and I think it's rather presumptuous to be so sure about them. Perhaps they are trying to be dicks, or perhaps they are trying to make a point about their own beliefs. Personally, I think it's both. Nevertheless, they have a right to that expression. And people need to find more important things to focus on. Especially these christians. Instead of whining about something that is trivial, they should go about their lives doing god's work. You know, feeding the homeless and spreading the Word.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #390
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Truthfully, I can't tell you their motives, and I think it's rather presumptuous to be so sure about them.
    I can only make guesses at their motives, I have no way of knowing them for sure. However, ones motivations don't have to be dickish for the action to still be such.

    Perhaps they are trying to be dicks, or perhaps they are trying to make a point about their own beliefs. Personally, I think it's both. Nevertheless, they have a right to that expression.
    I don't know if they were trying to be or not, though I do think its likely the former. However, whether it was their intent or not, their actions sure seem to be dickish in their outcome. However, they absolutely have the right to be assholes and to continue to provide further and further positive examples of athiesm.

    You know what I've actually just come to realize...

    Athiests are the religious equivilent of Ron Paul fans. There's not a lot of them, and the majority of people look at them negatively due to the stereotype that has formed of them. There's a fair amount of completely reasonable and wonderful ones, but it seems the vast majority of the vocal ones are people who play into the stereotype to a T and by and large drive more people away then bring them into the fold. Those vocal ones tend to think they're better than everyone else, that anyone not thinking like them is an idiot, that there's some grand conspiracy against them, and that their view is the only reasonable one and everyone else are idiots for thinking differently.

    Athiesism is the Ron Paul of the belief world.....

    Suddenly they make SO much more sense to me.

    In the wonderfully delicious ironic twist, Redress is a pseudo-Ron Paulite...

    And people need to find more important things to focus on. Especially these christians. Instead of whining about something that is trivial, they should go about their lives doing god's work. You know, feeding the homeless and spreading the Word.
    Again, local story. Don't have a huge issue with it. I'm pretty sure being annoyed about these people being dicks and speaking with a reporter for a bit of time isn't significantly hampering their ability to do other things like feeding the homeless if they want.

Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •