Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 470

Thread: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

  1. #291
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Wess, I personally choose to believe that there is a logical, rational explanation for everything in the universe - and science will, over time, indeed Unfold most mysteries of the universe thats been mis-attributed to a supernatural cause.
    I share your respect for logic and reason, that is why I love Fairy Tales.

    The feast was grand; they danced and sang; all were merry; and I only wish that you and I had been of the party.


    Religious beliefs are taught - not innate. Religions are culturely created. If you were born in the Amazon jungle to a tribe that believes that a rock on a hill, carved out by nature, with the appearance of a human like being, is the creator of their known world. You would adopt, without question, that belief.
    I agree that religions are culturally created, and that cultures and religiously created.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 12-17-11 at 03:18 AM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #292
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I find little kids beliefs in Santa harmless. When my daughter turns 12, we're breaking it to her. Time and a place, time and a place. Gotta grow up and stop believing in imaginary people sometime.
    You might consider doing it sooner. In today's world information gets to children much quicker, and often times callously. Better if you break it to her than some careless person. Just something to think about.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  3. #293
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    But you will apparently try to defend it.
    Their right to do it, yes.

    Plus I have little sympathy for Christians putting up "official" displays on public property. Now they know how it feels.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  4. #294
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Even you have to admit that applying for 18 slots, getting all of them, but only using 3 of the 18 slots is indicitive of not doing a full display wouldn't you say? I mean, if you're only going to use up 3 slots then why apply for 18?
    That is not what happened. A number of people applied. They could if they won claim up to 9 slots. Two winners did claim 9 slots. If a christian group had won and applied, you would not be crying. So the problem is that christians had competition.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #295
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    For not claiming to have any faith these dicks sure do want to spread their beliefs around and oppress the beliefs of others.
    It's no different than what would have happened if 3 slots were given to churches and the atheist groups got 2 slots instead.

    Don't really see where the oppression is here.

    EDIT: Oops. Misread that.

    Atheists got all but a few.

    Well, even so, it's not their fault if they went by the system. Even so, no oppression here.
    Last edited by samsmart; 12-17-11 at 12:51 PM.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #296
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is not what happened. A number of people applied. They could if they won claim up to 9 slots. Two winners did claim 9 slots. If a christian group had won and applied, you would not be crying. So the problem is that christians had competition.
    Yes, competition from adherents of another religion - atheism. Personally, I don't care at all about atheist signs or whatever, but I'm curious about why somebody would promote something that's so often claimed to be a mere lack of belief.

  7. #297
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yes, competition from adherents of another religion - atheism. Personally, I don't care at all about atheist signs or whatever, but I'm curious about why somebody would promote something that's so often claimed to be a mere lack of belief.
    Because that's not what atheism is.

    Just because atheists don't believe in a divinity doesn't mean they don't believe in anything.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #298
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yes, competition from adherents of another religion - atheism. Personally, I don't care at all about atheist signs or whatever, but I'm curious about why somebody would promote something that's so often claimed to be a mere lack of belief.
    I suspect they see it as countering the negative impact of religion. Again, it's not what I would do, but I don't cry about people placing nativity scenes or whatever other message they want.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #299
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is not what happened. A number of people applied. They could if they won claim up to 9 slots. Two winners did claim 9 slots. If a christian group had won and applied, you would not be crying. So the problem is that christians had competition.
    And they did win 9 slots each didn't they? That equals 18 does it not? And are you denying the fact that combined they only used up 3 of the 18 slots?

    BTW, I may believe in God, but I am against organized religion (I've said this before on this forum, a few times I believe). So I could care less if Christians got it or the Athiests or the Muslims. What I do care about and have talked about quite a bit in this thread is the deliberate attempt by one group to push out another group. If the situation here was exactly reversed I would be hollering about it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #300
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Because that's not what atheism is.

    Just because atheists don't believe in a divinity doesn't mean they don't believe in anything.
    Sam, we may actually agree on something here.

Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •