Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 470

Thread: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

  1. #261
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    At least read the full quote from the article that I gave. It tells you why....or am I misunderstanding you?
    I did read it.

    Because more people wanted slots, they used a lottery. And some churches who were used to having the slots all to themselves suddenly couldn't.

    They weren't entitled to those slots in the first place. They were just lucky nobody wanted theirs. Now that somebody did, they lose. Too bad.

    Riiiigghhhttt....
    Brilliant rebuttal.

    The lottery was an attempt to compromise. Not everyone is happy, are they?

    Either they have to give a slot to anyone who requests one, expanding them to whatever number is necessary, or they need to stop giving them out at all. But maybe a lottery will work if the losers stop whining when they lose.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  2. #262
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So you're saying the atheists here are not crowding because they did not apply to use ALL the slots.
    By the rules of the newly implemented lottery they could not have applied for all of the slots. I would bet that if they could have applied for all the slots they would have. This is evidenced by the fact that they did apply for the maximum number of slots that they could get, got em, and then only used 3 of the 18 slots that they got.

    The point I was trying to make is that before all this the religious groups could have applied for all the slots. The fact that they voluntarily did not shows that they were not trying to crowd out anyone.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #263
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I did read it.

    Because more people wanted slots, they used a lottery. And some churches who were used to having the slots all to themselves suddenly couldn't.

    They weren't entitled to those slots in the first place. They were just lucky nobody wanted theirs. Now that somebody did, they lose. Too bad.
    So, are you willing to admit that the churches never tried to crowd anyone out in the first place?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    The lottery was an attempt to compromise. Not everyone is happy, are they?
    Either you are ignoring the reason for not everyone being happy or you're trying to gloss over it. I doubt very seriously the the religious groups would have said anything had those two people not set out to purposely crowd out and attack religion.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #264
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I doubt very seriously the the religious groups would have said anything had those two people not set out to purposely crowd out and attack religion.
    As if religious groups don't crowd out and attack atheists, or other religions.

    Look, I wouldn't be dickish like these guys if I had the opportunity. But I don't much blame them for it.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  5. #265
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    As if religious groups don't crowd out and attack atheists, or other religions.
    Bring up an example and I'll condemn it. Two wrongs don't make a right.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Look, I wouldn't be dickish like these guys if I had the opportunity. But I don't much blame them for it.
    But you will apparently try to defend it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #266
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    This whole fuss is just the bitterness of entitlement denied.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #267
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    By the rules of the newly implemented lottery they could not have applied for all of the slots. I would bet that if they could have applied for all the slots they would have. This is evidenced by the fact that they did apply for the maximum number of slots that they could get, got em, and then only used 3 of the 18 slots that they got.
    They could have if they had gotten one more person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The point I was trying to make is that before all this the religious groups could have applied for all the slots. The fact that they voluntarily did not shows that they were not trying to crowd out anyone.
    Up to 9 per individuals, which is rather large I suppose. 24 slots. 9*3=27, which is greater than 24. So had they really wanted to apply for "all" slots, they could have. But didn't.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #268
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They could have if they had gotten one more person.



    Up to 9 per individuals, which is rather large I suppose. 24 slots. 9*3=27, which is greater than 24. So had they really wanted to apply for "all" slots, they could have. But didn't.
    But they didn't have 1 more person. We can only deal with the numbers that we have. Not on what they could have gotten if they had just one more person. The reason that they didn't have one more person could have been simply that they didn't have anyone else that would go along with them. And yes...it might have been that they didn't want to get all the slots. We don't know. So bringing in possibility that they could have brought in more people is just clouding up the issue.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #269
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    But they didn't have 1 more person. We can only deal with the numbers that we have. Not on what they could have gotten if they had just one more person. The reason that they didn't have one more person could have been simply that they didn't have anyone else that would go along with them. And yes...it might have been that they didn't want to get all the slots. We don't know. So bringing in possibility that they could have brought in more people is just clouding up the issue.
    The Christian group may not have even realized that the other groups would snap up "waste" lots to be spiteful, so it would follow they were trying to keep things honest and got "ambushed".
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #270
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,545

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well the odds may...just may be a bit different between the two cases. It is rather suspect that 2 groups won 18, very well could have been rigged. Very well could have been a statistical anomaly. We don't really have data one way or the other on that.
    Maybe god made them win so they would show how foolish they are.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •