Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 470

Thread: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

  1. #231
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Shall we see what started our little exchange, it was this comment of yours;

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We don't say things like that around religious people. It's at least as believable as the rest of the things they believe.
    I then made a half-facetious comment back, in a thread about atheists calling Christianity a myth, and then you tried to refute it, failed and then got moody. Personally I find the person who made the above comment and then had a hissy fit at the slightest challenge the most arrogant. But you find this with many atheists of your type. They feel they are oh so much better than the usual, good Christians they come across and they titter to themselves over these believers in Fairy Tales and foolish superstitions. What fools, what dupes, what haters.

    They tend to get frustrated whenever they are challenged and cannot answer simple points however.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 12-16-11 at 03:30 AM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #232
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Yes, but here's the thing. Depending on the number of applicants those numbers don't necessarily change the odds. There really isn't a lot of information about the drawing method, total number of of spots taken, etc.

    Edit- I read the story in it's entirety.
    13 people bid for the slots. Each person could bid for a max of 9 slots. From the following article one can only assume that they doled out the spots individually on a 1 spot per drawing basis....

    To keep it fair and legal, officials in the famously liberal city turned to a lottery to dole out spots in the prime location along Ocean Avenue.
    LA Times

    According to the OP's article 2 athiests applied for 9 spots each. So...what is the chances of 2 people (out of 13) getting 18 slots on a slot by slot basis?

    A few other tidbits that I found interesting in that article....

    Indeed, Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, said December is a busy time for the organization's attorneys, who challenge the use of public spaces for religious messages.

    "It's littering — literally, littering — these spaces," Gaylor said of such displays, which she said are a "territorial attempt by Christians to impose their beliefs in this season."
    Guess we know where she stands in all this...I wonder if she would like it if we called her stuff garbage?

    In Santa Monica, atheist Damon Vix called national organizations seeking help because he felt marginalized by the display, and tradition alone didn't merit saving it. Vix, a 43-year-old prop maker from Burbank, said the display "defines Santa Monica as a Christian city, and I feel very excluded by that."

    Last year, he put up a display of his own: signs with quotes from Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and Abraham Lincoln — quotes that his opponents say are of dubious veracity. (It's worth noting that both sides suspect the Founding Fathers would support them.)
    Wait...the guy feels excluded and yet last year he put up a sign by himself? How is it that he is excluded when he was obviously allowed to put up his own sign? And is it really everyone elses fault if he has no belief system or doesn't celebrate Christmas?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #233
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    13 people bid for the slots. Each person could bid for a max of 9 slots. From the following article one can only assume that they doled out the spots individually on a 1 spot per drawing basis....



    LA Times

    According to the OP's article 2 athiests applied for 9 spots each. So...what is the chances of 2 people (out of 13) getting 18 slots on a slot by slot basis?
    Ahh. Okay, those numbers don't line up well. If they did win honestly I want them to pick my powerball numbers.

    A few other tidbits that I found interesting in that article....



    Guess we know where she stands in all this...I wonder if she would like it if we called her stuff garbage?
    She seems pretty smug about the whole thing.


    Wait...the guy feels excluded and yet last year he put up a sign by himself? How is it that he is excluded when he was obviously allowed to put up his own sign? And is it really everyone elses fault if he has no belief system or doesn't celebrate Christmas?
    My problem is when someone has the idea that inclusion somehow means they get to take cheap shots at people. What a jackass.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #234
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Ahh. Okay, those numbers don't line up well. If they did win honestly I want them to pick my powerball numbers.
    Same here. I use to work in a Casino and my wife still does. Neither one of us ever saw/heard of anyone getting called 9 times in a single drawing (they have weekly drawings...half the time more than 1 drawing in a day). And my wife has worked there for 12 years almost.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #235
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    13 people bid for the slots. Each person could bid for a max of 9 slots. From the following article one can only assume that they doled out the spots individually on a 1 spot per drawing basis....



    LA Times

    According to the OP's article 2 athiests applied for 9 spots each. So...what is the chances of 2 people (out of 13) getting 18 slots on a slot by slot basis?

    A few other tidbits that I found interesting in that article....



    Guess we know where she stands in all this...I wonder if she would like it if we called her stuff garbage?



    Wait...the guy feels excluded and yet last year he put up a sign by himself? How is it that he is excluded when he was obviously allowed to put up his own sign? And is it really everyone elses fault if he has no belief system or doesn't celebrate Christmas?
    For somebody with supposedly thick skin you are making quite an effort to complain about a few posters in a different time zone from you.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #236
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I thought the dickish part was because they called Santa Claus a myth. It's a crappy thing to do to kids.
    You mean Santa's not real??????? You just ruined my day.

  7. #237
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Being an atheist in the 1950's was enough to get you blacklisted for life. Before that, there were times when it was enough to get you killed. Madeline Murray O'Hare was murdered specifically because she was an atheist activist in 1986.
    Ultimately, a murder investigation focused on David Roland Waters, who had worked as a typesetter for American Atheists. Not only did Waters have previous convictions for violent crimes, there were several suspicious burglaries during his tenure, and he pleaded guilty earlier in 1995 to stealing $54,000 from American Atheists.

    The police concluded that Waters and his accomplices had kidnapped all three O'Hairs, forced them to withdraw the missing funds, gone on several huge shopping sprees with the O'Hairs' money and credit cards, and then murdered all three people. ...Waters eventually pleaded guilty to reduced charges. ...In January 2001, Waters informed the police that the O'Hairs were buried on a Texas ranch, and he subsequently led them to the bodies.

    Madalyn Murray O'Hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #238
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If you want to start lecturing me about fallacies after that ****tacular comparison you made earlier, how about you actually learn what it is.
    No disrespect intended, but I laughed when I read this. You accused me of lecturing you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Argumentum ad populum is suggesting that an individual arguement is true because its popular or holds true for many people then therefore it is universally true. That's not my argument in the least. Now, if you want to talk about "fallacies" go look up strawman. My argument was not that Christianity is "true" because its possible and thus it shouldn't be called mythology.

    My argument was that its a tactless and dickish move to make a display like that in a public setting specifically aimed at belittling the view points held by a large population of people. Argumentum ad populum is NOT a fallacy when pointing out that something IS popular and pointing out popularity in and of itself is not a fallacy. My argument relies zero on whether or not Christianity or the Greek Gods are or aren't technically "mythology". Rather, my argument relies on whether or not its true that a majority of people VIEW them as such. A majority of people, especially in academic colleges in the United States, considered Greek Gods to by Mythology thus terming it as such is not some kind of tactless statement nor something that is reasonable to expect someone to think is an "inflamatory remark". On the contrary, stating that JESUS is "mythology" is a view point opposite of what the majority of people in the location of that display views and is something that is reasonable to expect that many people would take as "inflamatory".
    Technically, to an atheist, all religions are mythologies. The different deities are hypothetical constructs. If a sociologist from another planet came to earth they would have to agree as they have an objective view. Sure, I recognize that people think that it's inflammatory because it challenges "conventional wisdom". I don't think that all challenges to "conventional wisdom" are inherently "mocking and belittling". If they put up a Flying Spaghetti Monster nativity scene, that would be mocking and belittling. I've seen people here at DP in years past complain about people using the abbreviation "X-mas". I don't see using that abbreviation as mocking and belittling yet I'll bet they do. The reason I said it was an appeal to popularity fallacy is because I think that the religious can be overly sensitive to any and all challenges to their belief systems. I don't deny that they get upset. What I take exception to is that all challenges are mocking and belittling. Calling it a mythology is not mocking and belittling in my opinion. Saying it automatically is because most people think so is the appeal to popularity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    This doesn't even however begin to enter into the absurdity of comparing a class, where lenthy discussion and indepth analysis by individuals CHOOSING to take part in it, to a one line display put up in public.
    People would be upset if a college had a "Christian Mythology" class. That is what I was getting at. People are demanding political correctness for the popular belief systems, not on any merits of those belief systems, but simply because they are popular.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It'd be a dick move regardless of what religion they attacked. Would it possibly be funny? Maybe it would. I find tactless dick moves funny sometimes. Doesn't make them any less of a dick move. But if you want to play the "I don't believe" game or the "this thread would be full of" game, had this been a Christian group putting up a display specifically attacking Muslims, or specifically attacking athiests, I think we'd see this thread full of people talking about the bigotry of Christians and the disgusting way they push their views and I don't believe we'd be seeing you having near the same support for the issue of negatively affirming ones beliefs as the direct expense and targetting of another group.
    It would have been hilarious if they had a picture of the female orgasm.

    In central Illinois I see lots of literature telling non-believers they need to repent and accept Christ as their Savior. I usually laugh at them. They are usually over the top. I wish I still had the "Million dollar Santa" bill that was cute on the front and on the back went on to call atheists "Satanic". My coworkers and I had a good laugh at that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #239
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    So long as there is no historical evidence to indicate that their deities existed and did what their followers claim they did, no.
    I don't think hearsay is good enough "evidence". There may have been a man named Jesus who was from Nazareth. That's about it. I don't believe the immaculate conception or any of his miracles are supported by anything other than hearsay.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #240
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    don't you want to spread your beliefs? and how are they oppressing the beliefs of others?
    It's rude to try and overpower another's display with arrogance. I believe in spreading my beliefs through my actions, not through offending others and being arrogant. The whole point is that their goal is to displace a nativity scene in the name of their disbelief in God. It's rude, it's legal, but it's only purpose is to offend people.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •