Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 97

Thread: Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

  1. #71
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    I'm not sure of your point here, but there are similarities. Please elaborate?
    Just noting that a similar idea is already happening. Which probably means it was a good idea.

    Well, employers banding together bothers me on an anti-trust level.
    I don't think that's a concern, but it's not really the employers banding together. In any event, the insurers don't mind - they want bigger groups so they can spread the costs. That's how insurance works, and stays affordable.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  2. #72
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,881

    Re: Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

    If I can buy Fire Insurance after my house burns down, and still get a payout, why would I buy it now?

    If I can buy Car Insurance after I total my car, and still get a payout, why would I buy it now?

    If I can buy Health Insurance after I get diagnosed with <insert high treatment cost disease>, and still get covered, why would I buy it now?


    If I can buy insurance after the fact, then its not insurance.

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Everybody will need medical care at some part of their life.
    Everyone will die at some point, and medical care can prolong that process. Currently we do not limit this in any meaningful sense. The fact that we don't is what allows prices to climb.

    It's not a welfare tax. It's the recognition that everyone will one day need care therefore you pay in your whole life for that eventuality. Not everyone gets into a car accident. Not everyone has a home that burns downs or floods. You're paying to guard against that risk. There's no "risk" that you'll need medical care...it's an eventuality of the aging process.
    What's needed then is to separate health insurance (which guards against unlikely risks) from this other thing which sets out to redistribute money to pay for UNIVERSAL INEVITABILITIES by taking from the current workforce to prolong the lives and make comfortable the deaths of the elderly (this is Medicare, the least affordable program in our nation's history).

    If you give people whatever their welfare need (no denying anybody) and mandate the funding through the levying of taxes, that is absolutely a welfare tax.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 12-08-11 at 04:48 PM.

  4. #74
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    If I can buy insurance after the fact, then its not insurance.
    True. But we need a solution to the problem. Making people choose between starving and dying of sickness sucks. We can do better than that.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    True. But we need a solution to the problem. Making people choose between starving and dying of sickness sucks. We can do better than that.
    If we disagree on what the problem is, we'll continue disagreeing on the solution.

    I think the problem is unfunded entitlements and expensive health care. Therefore I look to solutions that contain costs and abolish unrealistic federal promises. My view is macro.

    You think the problem is the case example of someone starving in the street without the medical care he needs, so your solution will look to providing greater access and come up with a more intricate funding mechanism.

    Your micro solution (while caring) makes my macro problems worse.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    True. But we need a solution to the problem. Making people choose between starving and dying of sickness sucks. We can do better than that.
    We do not have a single politician IMO willing to do what is necessary.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    If we disagree on what the problem is, we'll continue disagreeing on the solution.

    I think the problem is unfunded entitlements and expensive health care. Therefore I look to solutions that contain costs and abolish unrealistic federal promises. My view is macro.
    I agree. We have to admit that we can not just pay and cover everything and people are going to have to accept that. (Including health care providers).

  8. #78
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    If we disagree on what the problem is, we'll continue disagreeing on the solution.

    I think the problem is unfunded entitlements and expensive health care. Therefore I look to solutions that contain costs and abolish unrealistic federal promises. My view is macro.

    You think the problem is the case example of someone starving in the street without the medical care he needs, so your solution will look to providing greater access and come up with a more intricate funding mechanism.

    Your micro solution (while caring) makes my macro problems worse.
    No, I don't think the problem is someone starving on the street without the medical care he needs. That's the outcome, not the problem.

    I actually agree that expensive health care is a huge part of the problem, and the one still not fixed.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post

    I think the problem is unfunded entitlements and expensive health care.
    Costs for things like technology and drugs are projected to go down

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    We do not have a single politician IMO willing to do what is necessary.
    Precisely. Solving this problem means you're not getting reelected.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •