Page 55 of 124 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 1236

Thread: Just Plain Wrong

  1. #541
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    These religions do not have the same focus on sin that the Abrahamic ones do, their focus tends to be on diminishing desires and one's attachment to worldliness, but treating this more as a impediment to one's self-realisation than a crime against God.
    Same thing with Christianity. Are you sure you understand your religion? Do you understand what Jesus did? As a Christian, are you under the law?

  2. #542
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Same thing with Christianity. Are you sure you understand your religion? Do you understand what Jesus did? As a Christian, are you under the law?
    I'm a Platonic Christian and a great reader of mystical thought and theology, so I know quite a bit about the inner aspect of virtue and sin. I simply making a very simplistic, but still broadly valid comparison.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #543
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I'm a Platonic Christian and a great reader of mystical thought and theology, so I know quite a bit about the inner aspect of virtue and sin. I simply making a very simplistic, but still broadly valid comparison.
    You'll agree that Christianity is not based on the Law and sins against God, but upon forgiveness and striving to live in the Spirit so as to improve oneself and be more like God. In this sense, Buddhism and Hinduism are the same; it's not about what you do but what you try to do. Right?

    I think there are far greater similarities between Christianity and the other mentioned religions than differences. If you want to contrast, you're gonna have to go with the Jewish religion - where sins against God (not the Spirit or Journey) determine salvation.

  4. #544
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    What would those be?
    I was referring to the three largest deity based religions__christianity-judaism-islam

    And you're basing your views on the proclamations of books teeming with fairy tales?
    What part of my post was too difficult for you to understand?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    As a matter of fact the bibles of all three major religions warn against homosexuality as well as beastiality.

    Although religion is not the motivating factor of my opinion, its billions of followers do help to validate me.

    I don't know what the homosexuals are so worried about, they're winning the perversion vs morality war.
    Attention Redress- Now can you understand why I highlight and underline pertinent information?!

    Because, like I have said before, explaining the simplist things to liberals is like teaching quantum physics to 1st graders.
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  5. #545
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It doesn't. I believe in thinking for myself.
    Great idea__Do you have a starting date in mind or are ya just gonna let it happen when it happens?
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  6. #546
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Nor am I interested in playing your inane birther game. Shouldn't you be watching Fake News about now?
    So, are you saying you could post a link to the information I requested but you refuse because you're not "interested in playing your inane birther game"???
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  7. #547
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Is that something out of Rules for Radicals? Something about smashing shop windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Perhaps you should ask Tea Partiers?
    Yep, those radical "Tea Partiers" are a vandalous bunch of barbarians.
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  8. #548
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    You're making points about the particular and the universal. We're never going to settle that in this setting, nor can I be bothered to make a head long argument in favour of a more universalist view than you have adopted. So I thought why not explore some of the assumptions, such as by pushing the historicist viewpoint to the extreme. That seems a far more interesting, and better way, to get you to consider the premises behind your position.
    Ah, I see that you have failed on three counts:

    1. You assumed that you understood the premises behind my position despite the fact that you clearly did not (You apparently don't even know what I was specifically referencing with my comment, therefore you can't possibly know my premises).
    2. You assumed that I have not considered the premises behind my position, which is false since I always analyze my premises in great detail prior to reaching a conclusion
    3. You failed to seek clarification on a position you clearly did not comprehend fully.

    Now, if you are interested in a discussion of what was actually meant instead of a strawman of your own design, I will gladly clarify that which has confused you so that we can actually have a meaningful discussion devoid of arrogance being used to mask ignorance.

    Whereas if you are interested in continuing to pretend that you had a clue about what I was getting at, please feel free to continue to mask your ignorance with unfounded arrogance.

  9. #549
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,299

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I simply making a very simplistic, but still broadly valid comparison.
    You left out redundant.

  10. #550
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,299

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    I was referring to the three largest deity based religions__christianity-judaism-islam

    What part of my post was too difficult for you to understand?!
    As is the case with your typical offerings, every bit.

    Attention Redress- Now can you understand why I highlight and underline pertinent information?!
    No. It looks like something right out of 6th grade. I can see why you;re attracted to the idea.

    Because, like I have said before, explaining the simplist things to liberals is like teaching quantum physics to 1st graders.
    That would be funny, if only somehow it was?
    Last edited by Top Cat; 12-16-11 at 10:05 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •