Page 32 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 1236

Thread: Just Plain Wrong

  1. #311
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Its really stupid to use children for this purpose.
    It was very emotional.
    Michele your the one that needs fixingAnd no son, your mom does not need any "fixing"
    You think Michelle will be reading your post?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #312
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Again, this is a strawman.

    No one is suggesting that "Because its natural we should accept it". What people ARE suggesting is that "Because its UNNATURAL we should not accept it" and then people are pointing out "No, you're wrong, it is natural as it does occur in nature".

    Let me explain it another way because you seem to have a SIGNIFICANT problem grasping this.

    One person says "Basketball sucks because its not a sport".
    A second person points out "Actually, basketball is a sport".

    That second person is not saying "Basketball is good because its a sport", he's simply pointing out that the REASON person 1 is saying it sucks ("That its not a sport") is incorrect.

    Same thing here.

    One person says "We shouldn't accept homosexuals, its unnatural"
    Second person says "Actually, it is natural".

    That is not saying "Homosexuality should be accepted because its natural", its simply pointing out the REASON person one is saying it shouldn't be accepted ("because its unnatural") is not correct.

    If YOU want to make the argument that "Homosexuality shouldn't be accepted because [some reason or opinion that is not factually incorrect]" then more power to you. However, pointing out that someone is wrong that its unnatural is not suggesting that all natural things are bad. If you have a problem with people pointing out when someone makes a factually incorrect argument perhaps you should focus more on those that are making said argument.
    The real problem is historical and philosophical illiteracy; or in other words what nature means. When the Angelic Doctor or Aristotle considered something unnatural, they didn't simply mean according to empirical readings of the natural world, but according what was considered the essence or nature of something; what it couldn't have removed from it without ceasing to be itself.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 12-12-11 at 09:43 AM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #313
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Yes we know how you deal with facts.
    So you don't have any facts to show a majority of "righty christians" look to make it illegal despite your hyperbolic rant. Noted.
    Last edited by buck; 12-12-11 at 09:53 AM.

  4. #314
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    It's a party platform. Parties run for office, to make legislation.
    It's not legislative. cadidates that run for office in Texas only have to agree with 10 points on the 25 page document (I would guess there are 100 or so points to choose from) in order to recieve funding from the state party. I would be willing to bet that very-very few, if any, candidates chose the point that you find so objectionable as one they agree with. If they had, you can be sure it would have been news on all the left leaning webstes - such as the one that was originaly quoted here and used to misrepresent what a party platform is. Can you find any candidate that supported the anti sodom point?

    I find it repugnant.
    So what? The point that Top Cat chose to quote, I find reasonable. I do not agree with the point that you both find so objectionable.
    Last edited by buck; 12-12-11 at 09:54 AM.

  5. #315
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    It's not legislative. cadidates that run for office in Texas only have to agree with 10 points on the 25 page document (I would guess there are 100 or so points to choose from) in order to recieve funding from the state party. I would be willing to bet that very-very few, if any, candidates chose the point that you find so objectionable as one they agree with. If they had, you can be sure it would have been news on all the left leaning webstes - such as the one that was originaly quoted here and used to misrepresent what a party platform is. Can you find any candidate that supported the anti sodom point?
    I didn't say the candidates do. The party does though. I blame the party for it.

    You're doing a good job of playing with specifics to dodge the fundamental issue, which is that the Texas GOP is on record as supporting this.

    So what? The point that Top Cat chose to quote, I find reasonable. I do not agree with the point that you both find so objectionable.
    Fine. I do.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #316
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,258

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    So you don't have any facts to show a majority of "righty christians" look to make it illegal despite your hyperbolic rant. Noted.
    We both know of those in this country that want homosexuality made illegal, almost all are Right Wing Christians. The only difference is, I voice it. You deny it. Spare me your request of facts. After all, they are, in your words "minutia".

  7. #317
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I didn't say the candidates do. The party does though. I blame the party for it.

    You're doing a good job of playing with specifics to dodge the fundamental issue, which is that the Texas GOP is on record as supporting this.
    That particular point is just a carry-over from when the party did care. Additionally, if no candidate is running on that point or chose that point as one of their 10, then those “evil righty Christians” just aren’t forcing everyone to live by the bible.

  8. #318
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,258

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    I

    The only problem most decent people have is when the morally corrupt drag their sick perversions into the light of day and demand acceptance and legitimacy.
    If only everyone else could be decent: like you? The sick perversion here is the condescending and judgmental attitude on display.

  9. #319
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    We both know of those in this country that want homosexuality made illegal, almost all are Right Wing Christians. The only difference is, I voice it. You deny it. Spare me your request of facts. After all, they are, in your words "minutia".
    I will readily acnkowledge that there are some that want anti-sodom. There are very few when compared to the number of right wing christians. There are hard-liners in any camp (including the pro-gay group). Those hard liners do not make up the marjority opinion of said camp. your point was that right wing christians wanted X. I indicated it was not very many (as taken in the context of the total number of right wing christians) that want x.

    You are the one that said we were arguing minutia, because I was adding facts to the conversation. I simply summarized your statement.

  10. #320
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,258

    Re: Just Plain Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post

    The few who still recognize this reality are the ones not brainwashed by Political Correctness and whose abilities of original and independent thought and common sense are still intact.
    You have to love this quote. It sure sounds to me like some serious RW Christian indoctrination to me. Some might call that brainwashing too. Imagine that?

Page 32 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •