Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 93

Thread: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

  1. #81
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    But, for the record, Citicorp was the only bank the tax-payers made any profit on. The banks were able to pay back so fast because the fed manipulated an entire industry.
    This is false. TARP made money on all the major financial institutions with the exception of AIG.
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  2. #82
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    It's hard to blame Carolla or anyone else who are taking an opportunity to trash the idea behind the OWS movement. It's most public face is in fact kids that ought to be out trying to earn a living rather than talking about raising taxes on those that earn or get the most money in our society.

    Unfortunately OWS's public face isn't the average guy who has, in fact, gone out and worked hard and chose a profession that has been downsized, outsourced or outright eliminated, and can't react to the changes in the market fast enough to find work doing something else.

    And no matter what any defending of the 1% may say, earnings of the 1% have SKYROCKETED in the past few decades while earning of the 99% have stagnated at best. The 1% have all of the leverage to determine how much they get paid and the 99%, due to weakening of unions and an overall pro-corporate/anti-employee culture, have virtually none. It's hard for me to keep a straight face when someone suggests that the people on the lower rungs of the social ladder just need to climb higher. This profound disparity in wages is shameful and immoral.
    All that still doesn't address the people Corolla is talking about which make up a large percentage of the people in the OWS movement. Most of the people you are talking about aren't at the OWS protests. They are probably out looking for another job, taking care of their families or just sitting around riding the movement from the safety of their couches. The entitlement crowd Corolla is talking about are just glomming on to the economic situation to try and get what they can out of it.

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    But, for the record, Citicorp was the only bank the tax-payers made any profit on. The banks were able to pay back so fast because the fed manipulated an entire industry.
    Yes, the banks were able to pay back fast partially due to FED manipulation but Citi was not the only bank.to include just a couple more of the several who returned profit.

    After collecting repayments, dividends and proceeds from warrant sales, the government earned a 14 percent return on the $10 billion it gave Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and a 13 percent return on the $10 billion that went to Morgan Stanley. Both firms are based in New York

    Bank Bailout Returns 8.2% Beating Treasury Yields - Bloomberg

    After TARP, the banks borrowed money at a below market Fed window rate, then were sold 2-year Government bonds at a higher rate.
    True, but the FED is a quasi-government entity thus their actions are not directly regulated by the government. To be sure the FED needs to be abolished but TARP is not the reason.

  4. #84
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    All that still doesn't address the people Corolla is talking about which make up a large percentage of the people in the OWS movement. Most of the people you are talking about aren't at the OWS protests. They are probably out looking for another job, taking care of their families or just sitting around riding the movement from the safety of their couches. The entitlement crowd Corolla is talking about are just glomming on to the economic situation to try and get what they can out of it.
    The entitlement crowd Corolla is talking about is partially made up. The OWS protestors are actually quite diverse. Sure, there are traditional granola hippie types, and a small contingent of leftist anarchists, but you will also find laid off software engineers, would-be accountants, out of work bartenders and construction workers, and pretty much anyone else you can think of. The problem is, these people don't draw viewers for the 24 hour news networks, so they tend not to show up on camera all that much.

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    The people that ran the company, not the factory workers, were highly compensated for failure. I believe the UAW did later on negotiate for a large sum of back pay.

    The businessmen all over the country who lost their dealerships and were stuck with cars no one wanted; they laid off their employees. Some of whom had mortgages. It comes full circle.
    My desire is to conclude this side discussion as I believe it has no relevance to the OP...thx

  6. #86
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    And I care what Adam Carolla says because of what now?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    It's hard to blame Carolla or anyone else who are taking an opportunity to trash the idea behind the OWS movement. It's most public face is in fact kids that ought to be out trying to earn a living rather than talking about raising taxes on those that earn or get the most money in our society.

    Unfortunately OWS's public face isn't the average guy who has, in fact, gone out and worked hard and chose a profession that has been downsized, outsourced or outright eliminated, and can't react to the changes in the market fast enough to find work doing something else.

    And no matter what any defending of the 1% may say, earnings of the 1% have SKYROCKETED in the past few decades while earning of the 99% have stagnated at best. The 1% have all of the leverage to determine how much they get paid and the 99%, due to weakening of unions and an overall pro-corporate/anti-employee culture, have virtually none. It's hard for me to keep a straight face when someone suggests that the people on the lower rungs of the social ladder just need to climb higher. This profound disparity in wages is shameful and immoral.
    You took the words right out of my mouth! You get major props for this post because as a Conservative, it must not have been easy for you to speak on this matter objectively. So many take the position that participants of this movement are just a bunch of lazy bums walking around with their hand held out screaming and yelling about things they know nothing about. Based on the images we see on our TV's, I can understand how many people get this impression. But it's really not like that with many of the Occupiers.

    As I've said time and again concerning the Occupy Movement, it's not just about a bunch of wiley-eyed college kids putting up peace symbols and looking for government handouts. Unfortunately, that's pretty much how the movement has been portrayed. It's sad really because there are alot of people who support the movement but aren't doing things in a disruptive manner. But the grandeur of violence and/or civil unrest is what makes news not the quite protestors who are able to articulate their message and are working within the law. You don't see those people making the 10 o'clock headlines. Take Monique's story, for example, an African American female living in Minneapolis, MN. From what I gathered from her video testimony, she wasn't even part of the Occupy Movement initially, but when her home went into foreclosure, she turned to the movement for help. Since there is no video of their march on her home, I can't tell you what how things have gone on since the video was posted. There's no follow-up footage to say what happened during or after her home was occupied or if it ever was, but the point is her message.

    She wants to work. She wants to continue being responsible for her family. She's just asking for alot more cooperation from the bank which seemed to be following a very similar pattern of losing paperwork or selling mortgages which in turn forces homeowners seeking to modify their mortgages to start the paperwork process all over again. (Note: I listened to Sara's story, too, but since Monique's was more compelling as a family tragedy and she did seek the movement for assistance, I found her story to be more appropriate to the thread.)

    It's real easy for much of America to look at this movement through the storylines and images placed on our televisions, but until you attend a rally or general assembly meeting or review online streaming videos that don't just show the protesters clashing with police or some ignorant young adult or homeless person who has no idea what the movement is about - they're just there saying or doing whatever - it's easy to paint the movement in a very broad brush. But then you see videos like Monique's and you're reminded what's truly at stake - family, personal pride, dignity, a sense of belonging, a sense of being able to make do on your own. Many people are struggling just as this woman is. I find it deeply troubling that her story has been co-opted by the stories of civil unrest we're starting to see more frequently about the movement, and it's really unfair to those who are truly trying to do the right thing but aren't being given a fair shake.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 12-06-11 at 02:10 PM.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post
    This is false. TARP made money on all the major financial institutions with the exception of AIG.
    I meant to insert the word 'real' before profit.

    TARP made limited interest on most loans because of the conditions setup by the Fed.

    I supported Tarp from a pragmatic survival standpoint. But lets not kid ourselves, it was our Government taking extraordinary measures to save our economy, maintain our quality of life. A giant safety net, if you will. Moral hazard.

    But these 'monsters' that Carolla (the less successful of the original man show duo) talks about... it's very disingenuous on his part and kind of strawman to focus only on OWS...

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    And I care what Adam Carolla says because of what now?
    Far-righties will attach themselves to just about anyone who can get on the air and sing their song.

    "Look what the President of NABLA said about too many free handouts to youngsters you're courting"....

  10. #90
    User Chaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    05-03-12 @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    87

    Re: Adam Carolla: OWS Movement "Self-entitled monsters"

    It would be nice if the OWS would clearly define what they want on a list rather than having a huge mob of people shout contrasting ideas. So far the most prominent I have seen are the members who think they are entitled to whatever they want but I recall an video that explained their goals in a much more reasonable light. Can't quite recall the name of it or else I would link it.
    It is a man's reason that lifts him to the stars.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •