Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Only if Congress doesn't renew them like they did last year. I'm all for revenue enhancement in addition to a 5% increase on the capital gains tax rate.
    I believe CG's and income should be taxed at the same rate. I'm not to concerned with how that is done. Up with CG's. CG's up some, income down some.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I don't. We've already slashed DOD. time for something else to take the hit.
    That position IMO is based upon the idea that we simply have to have as many soldiers all over the world that we do now. I disagree.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I absolutely agree CPwill...everyone wants to target the DOD like its swimming in billions of unnecessary bucks...I am utterly against anything that takes anything from our troops ...and I want to hear from military experts that theres funds that can be taken safely...and I dont want to hear it from career politicians....
    Wouldn't the most important thing be their life?

  4. #44
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Wouldn't the most important thing be their life?
    Of course....

  5. #45
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    That position IMO is based upon the idea that we simply have to have as many soldiers all over the world that we do now. I disagree.
    quite as many? no. but we do have to maintain our presence world wide. global trade depends upon global security, and global security is held up by US forces. If we leave, others will not move to take up that role, but the world will rather break into mercantilist chunks as it spins into chaos. Our economy is utterly dependent on global trade, meaning that withdrawing our forward leaning defense posture (as these plans would likely require) is the financial equivalent of eating seed corn.

    Wouldn't the most important thing be their life
    no - the primary goal of the United States Military is mission accomplishment. sometimes that requires paying the piper. but if you are concerned about our lives, might I suggest you not support re-hollowing out the military so that we find ourselves in the future in another situation like Iraq 2004, when we had no armor for our vehicles or our bodies because of the previous decades' spending cuts. when you significantly reduce the US military, you make it more likely that they will have to be used, and you make it less likely that they will have the equipment necessary to do so with minimal loss of life. Take a look at that chart again and notice the drop in combat air support. the gap of that air support will be refilled with the bodies of the infantrymen who are now bereft.
    Last edited by cpwill; 12-02-11 at 05:01 PM.

  6. #46
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I don't. We've already slashed DOD. time for something else to take the hit.
    LOL! Here are some facts. The prestigious Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) reported in April 2011 that world military expenditure in 2010 is estimated to have been 1,630 billion dollars, an increase of 1.3 % in real terms in spite of the global financial crisis."

    "The U.S., Exceptional In Military Spending

    Although the rate of increase in US military spending slowed in 2010—to 2.8 per cent compared to an annual average increase of 7.4 per cent between 2001 and 2009, the global increase in 2010 is almost entirely down to the United States, which accounted for 19.6 billion dollars of the 20.6 billion dollars global increase, according to SIPRI.

    The USA has increased its military spending by 81 per cent since 2001, and now accounts for 43 per cent of the global total, six times its nearest rival China. At 4.8 per cent of GDP, US military spending in 2010 represents the largest economic burden outside the Middle East”, stated Dr Sam Perlo-Freeman, Head of the SIPRI Military Expenditure Project."

    http://mobile.zcommunications.org/th...y-badriya-khan
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #47
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I believe CG's and income should be taxed at the same rate. I'm not to concerned with how that is done. Up with CG's. CG's up some, income down some.
    Both need to be raised to partially restore some of the progressiveness that has been cut from our tax system over the last 30 years, which is needed to help address the wealth disparity in this country which is negatively affecting our consumer based economy.
    Last edited by Catawba; 12-03-11 at 02:25 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #48
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba
    Although the rate of increase in US military spending slowed in 2010—to 2.8 per cent compared to an annual average increase of 7.4 per cent between 2001 and 2009, the global increase in 2010 is almost entirely down to the United States, which accounted for 19.6 billion dollars of the 20.6 billion dollars global increase, according to SIPRI.


    1. when you fold the costs of operations into the DOD budget authority and then increase the top line number by 19 Billion, you have net cut defense spending. 19 billion minus 100 billion equals a not a positive number.
    2. this is 2010. we are in 2011. DOD was cut starting this year, already by 500 Bn. Sequestration puts another $500 Bn minimum of cuts on the force.
    3. President Obama's OWN Secretary of Defense says that sequestration level cuts are not only deep enough to threaten our ability to perform operations, but are frankly dangerous to the continued viability of the force. Obama's OWN Secretary of Defense who he also had run the CIA says that this will hollow out the services, and we will find ourselves once again in a situation where we are in Iraq in 2004 with no body armor and people pay with their lives for previous budget cuts.

    The USA has increased its military spending by 81 per cent since 2001
    LOL, well yeah. in nominal terms, measuring from the 2001 amount. we were sent to fight two wars.

    and now accounts for 43 per cent of the global total, six times its nearest rival China.
    and you believe that?!?


    yeah. and Saddam Hussein won 99% of the vote



    At 4.8 per cent of GDP, US military spending in 2010 represents the largest economic burden outside the Middle East”,
    again, catawba. this is 2011. in fact, it's almost 2012 .

  9. #49
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post


    1. when you fold the costs of operations into the DOD budget authority and then increase the top line number by 19 Billion, you have net cut defense spending. 19 billion minus 100 billion equals a not a positive number.
    2. this is 2010. we are in 2011. DOD was cut starting this year, already by 500 Bn. Sequestration puts another $500 Bn minimum of cuts on the force.
    3. President Obama's OWN Secretary of Defense says that sequestration level cuts are not only deep enough to threaten our ability to perform operations, but are frankly dangerous to the continued viability of the force. Obama's OWN Secretary of Defense who he also had run the CIA says that this will hollow out the services, and we will find ourselves once again in a situation where we are in Iraq in 2004 with no body armor and people pay with their lives for previous budget cuts.
    Reducing growth is not cutting.

    LOL, well yeah. in nominal terms, measuring from the 2001 amount. we were sent to fight two wars.
    Most of the war spending was on a war in Iraq we were lied into on behalf of big oil, and that war ends at the end this month.

    And pray tell, while we would simultaneously start two wars at the same time we cut revenues??? We have never done that before in history!!!

    and you believe that?!?
    Since I don't happened to be skeered of my shadow, yes. Those are the facts Jack!


    again, catawba. this is 2011. in fact, it's almost 2012
    Yep, and our military budget is nearly twice what it was before our optional wars.

    That is why it is so absurd to think that $600 billion over a decade will hurt defense. Hell, we could cut $300 billion in one year and we would still be the biggest spender on military on the planet!
    Last edited by Catawba; 12-04-11 at 03:09 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #50
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Eric Cantor floats year-end trigger bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Reducing growth is not cutting.
    I'll remember that when they come to reduce the growth in Medicare and Social Security. Interesting. So you don't consider the Ryan Plan to have cut Medicare spending?

    However, you are still incorrect - because they are indeed cutting DOD, and have already in real terms.

    Most of the war spending was on a war in Iraq we were lied into on behalf of big oil, and that war ends at the end this month.
    which doesn't alter the fact that they represent a cut to DOD when DOD had to cover those costs in the slightest.

    And pray tell, while we would simultaneously start two wars at the same time we cut revenues??? We have never done that before in history!
    we didn't 'cut' revenues - we went through a small recession which caused revenues to dip, similar to 2009-2010.

    Since I don't happened to be skeered of my shadow, yes. Those are the facts Jack!
    no, they aren't. specifically, they are Chinese Communist Party lies.

    Yep, and our military budget is nearly twice what it was before our optional wars.
    A) it's not optional for the military.
    B) the fact that you tried to quote figures for 2010 to disprove the FACT that cuts have already been part of 2011 remains.
    C) the fact that even the administrations OWN SECDEF says that these cuts are irresponsible and dangerous remains.

    That is why it is so absurd to think that $600 billion over a decade will hurt defense. Hell, we could cut $300 billion in one year and we would still be the biggest spender on military on the planet!
    yes and no - the trick when you occupy the hegemon position is that you have to outweigh all competitors in their region.

    furthermore, that 300 Billion would - paradoxically - actually be much harder to collect, as our economy would have collapsed.

    Mind you, the DOD's two biggest expenses are benefits, and personnel. So I have to ask - when you want to cut it in half, do you want to screw over retired veterans, or the veterans who are still active duty?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •