Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 212

Thread: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

  1. #51
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Greed has always been the motivation behind corporations. That was true in 1870, 1880, 1890 and every marker since that time. Nothing except the styles and verbage has changed in that respect.
    Not all corporated businesses behave the same way and are driven by the same standards.

    In my town we host a few small businesses and all were closed on Thanksgiving - in fact - the only place open was the gas station. That means Sonic, American Market, Dollar General - and in the next town over their grocery store, Knights, was closed. . . and none entertain special holiday hours for any reason.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,092

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Anyone who starts a successful business in the United States of America is greedy. Got it.
    No. I am talking about the prime motivation behind the big corporations. They care about one thing more than anything else - profit. that was true 150 years ago and it is true today.

    If I am wrong, and that is not the prime motivation behind a corporation - please tell me what it is?
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-25-11 at 05:16 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #53
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No. I am talking about the prime motivation behind the big corporations. They care about one thing more than anything else - profit. that was true 150 years ago and it is true today.

    If I am wrong, and that is not the prime motivation behind a corporation - please tell me what it is?
    Profit isn't always the driving force as is evident by some decisions - some still honor closing on Sundays (for example)

    If profit is always the drive then every store would pay menial wages, attempt to sidestep benefits, and would undervalue all their employees if it saved money as well as cheat their customers . . . and so forth.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #54
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No. I am talking about the prime motivation behind the big corporations. They care about one thing more than anything else - profit. that was true 150 years ago and it is true today.

    If I am wrong, and that is not the prime motivation behind a corporation - please tell me what it is?
    In many cases, they start out merely wanting to create jobs for the founders/owners. Profit is certainly a prime motive of large corporations. I don't think making a profit equates to greed, however. Example: I don't Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were greedy bastards because they founded Apple Computer...you?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,092

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In many cases, they start out merely wanting to create jobs for the founders/owners. Profit is certainly a prime motive of large corporations. I don't think making a profit equates to greed, however. Example: I don't Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were greedy bastards because they founded Apple Computer...you?
    I have no doubt that there is truth in what you say about people who start companies. Once a company gets beyond the small business mentality into the big corporation, all that changes.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No. I am talking about the prime motivation behind the big corporations. They care about one thing more than anything else - profit. that was true 150 years ago and it is true today.

    If I am wrong, and that is not the prime motivation behind a corporation - please tell me what it is?
    Remarkable. Really? A business's number one concern is a profit? Is there a reason you haven't been made a professor of economics yet?

  7. #57
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have no doubt that there is truth in what you say about people who start companies. Once a company gets beyond the small business mentality into the big corporation, all that changes.
    There, you and I part company. I think it's cynical to believe that greed is the motivating factor behind every, or even most, large companies. The desire to grow, to become more profitable, isn't one of the seven deadly sins no matter how much socialists have us believe that. A competitive spirit is a part of our DNA; we couldn't have survived and progressed without it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #58
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were greedy bastards because they founded Apple Computer...you?
    Me neither, especially since Gates had nothing to do with founding Apple Computer.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  9. #59
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Me neither, especially since Gates had nothing to do with founding Apple Computer.
    and thank heavens - could you imagine?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #60
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Me neither, especially since Gates had nothing to do with founding Apple Computer.
    Oops!!!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •