Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 100

Thread: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    IOW, keeping Jerkwater USA, Jerkwater USA, is saving the town?

    .
    Your vitriolic contempt of small town America and the American people who live there is duly noted.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #72
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Your vitriolic contempt of small town America and the American people who live there is duly noted.
    I grew up in thonly parish in the state that doesn't have a McDonalds, nor a single traffic light

    Uh...yeah!...I hate small town folks.

    Do you ever re-read these silly posts after you post them to see how stupid they sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Your vitriolic contempt of small town America and the American people who live there is duly noted.
    The reason he calls them "Jerkwater USA" is because they're lacking economic development, something that building a Walmart, would at least temporarily spur.
    Crap man, there isn't any reason to continue to live at these places because of the lack of close by, necessary resources.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I grew up in thonly parish in the state that doesn't have a McDonalds, nor a single traffic light

    Uh...yeah!...I hate small town folks.

    Do you ever re-read these silly posts after you post them to see how stupid they sound?
    I reread your posts and they fail to rise to even that lowly standard. If you do not have comtempt for small town America perhaps you should refrain from vitriolic outbursts such as

    IOW, keeping Jerkwater USA, Jerkwater USA, is saving the town?
    Do not despair as you are not alone. Sam Walton professed to love small town America then participated in much of its destruction by wiping out Main Street small businesses. So your contempt of what you falsely profess to appreciate is not something only you are guilty of.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-27-11 at 08:08 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Of course, because you haven't solved anything.
    You merely squeezed the balloon from needing unemployment benefits to needing social welfare, to offset the costs of restricting trade and lowering purchasing power.
    I'm not the one argueing for reduced purchasing power. My thoughts are at worse a wash.

    Did all the former blacksmiths go into tire manufacturing?
    So anyway, we've got past the idea that people making maps are just going to be out of work. They will though when so many jobs leave for other countries.

    Your post is a contradiction.
    Mattel is a seller here and they sold their manufactured toys with lead paint, yet they aren't bankrupt.

    One example of one business not exercising good quality control, does not make for a good argument.
    I provide examples. How many do you wish? There are plenty.

    Except that's only your opinion.
    I provided more than opinion. You said that you didn't care that the manufacturer would no longer back their products.

    Alright, do they want them?
    Maybe.

    We have 2 different cultures here.
    Invest in China making what they want.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 11-27-11 at 09:05 PM.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I guess the historical record is "because I said so."
    You can't debate someone so willfully ignorant of the history of world development.
    Because ..........you say so.

  7. #77
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Of course there was, we competed directly with Europe.
    We were later in the race and had the lower cost.

    See a parallel emerging here.
    America used to be the China of the manufacturing world.
    lol that's so redundant.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    This encroaching utopionism must be stopped! If capitalism can not buy a town we are all doomed!

    /sarcasm

  9. #79
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    This encroaching utopionism must be stopped! If capitalism can not buy a town we are all doomed!

    /sarcasm
    Who said they werent capitalists? They sell stock in their co-op. They have private owned businesses. How is that not capitalism?

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Who said they werent capitalists? They sell stock in their co-op. They have private owned businesses. How is that not capitalism?
    Corporations are not a privately owned businesses.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •