Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100

Thread: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

  1. #61
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The community obviously decided that the jobs brought in by a WalMart location was not sufficient compensation for whatever damage they felt it would do to the community.
    To which I said happy days...good for the community.

  2. #62
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What damage could Wal-Mart do?
    It depends on your interpretation of "damage." Having had a close call with a WalMart, I can share the loudest objections I heard echoing up and down the block:
    • Increased traffic
    • Added tractor-trailer traffic
    • A change in the view
    • The added stress on already-struggling small businesses
    • The change to the beloved landscape in the area around the store
    • The overall alterations the town will undergo as a result
    To many people living in a small, quaint town, that is damage. They're used to how things are, they've learned how to live with it, and they see no reason why someone with more money than they'll ever see should be allowed to sweep in and put their world on its ear.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #63
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    It depends on your interpretation of "damage." Having had a close call with a WalMart, I can share the loudest objections I heard echoing up and down the block:
    • Increased traffic
    • Added tractor-trailer traffic
    • A change in the view
    • The added stress on already-struggling small businesses
    • The change to the beloved landscape in the area around the store
    • The overall alterations the town will undergo as a result
    To many people living in a small, quaint town, that is damage. They're used to how things are, they've learned how to live with it, and they see no reason why someone with more money than they'll ever see should be allowed to sweep in and put their world on its ear.

    IOW, keeping Jerkwater USA, Jerkwater USA, is saving the town?

    Reminds me of the community I grew up in. They resisted every industry that tried to locate there. Now, the place is almost a ghost town, because my generation had t move away to find work. The area died.

    Think of the damage done, when everyone leaves, because there's no work, which means no tax revenue to maintain the community. Just like my hometown, where people have to drive 20 miles to the nearest grocery store, because the one a mile down the road went out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #64
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    IOW, keeping Jerkwater USA, Jerkwater USA, is saving the town?

    Reminds me of the community I grew up in. They resisted every industry that tried to locate there. Now, the place is almost a ghost town, because my generation had t move away to find work. The area died.

    Think of the damage done, when everyone leaves, because there's no work, which means no tax revenue to maintain the community. Just like my hometown, where people have to drive 20 miles to the nearest grocery store, because the one a mile down the road went out of business.
    The whole point is that the people in question like things are the way they are and don't want change -- their lives are comfortable, their interests are protected, and everything is familiar.

    You're essentially raising the argument that was used to justify NAFTA and other free-trade agreements, and the argument of the small-towners is the same used to counter such agreements.

    People, generally speaking, have a lot of difficulty looking at how change can be good, when change means the end or the significant alteration of things that are good just as they are.
    Last edited by TacticalEvilDan; 11-27-11 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Misslepping
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #65
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The whole point is that the people in question like things are the way they are and don't want change -- their lives are comfortable, their interests are protected, and everything is familiar.

    You're essentially raising the argument that was used to justify NAFTA and other free-trade agreements, and the argument of the small-towners is the same used to counter such agreements.

    People, generally speaking, have a lot of difficulty looking at how change can be good, when change means the end or the significant alteration of things that are good just as they are.
    More power to them; it's a free country. However, from my own experience, I question the judgement of such mentalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Free enterprise is evil?
    It certainly can be. Does this come as a huge shock to you?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #67
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It certainly can be. Does this come as a huge shock to you?
    That you think that? Of course it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #68
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Free enterprise is no more good or evil than free will -- it's all about the principles of the principals, or lack thereof.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    More social welfare. Now there is a strong arguement.
    Of course, because you haven't solved anything.
    You merely squeezed the balloon from needing unemployment benefits to needing social welfare, to offset the costs of restricting trade and lowering purchasing power.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    GPS's get manufactured on their own? We made the blacksmith outdated BUT we made the tires that replaced the job of a blacksmith here.
    Did all the former blacksmiths go into tire manufacturing?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Mattel dictated that their toys get painted using lead paint?

    Lead Paint Prompts Mattel to Recall 967,000 Toys - New York Times

    A manufacturer that did that here would likely be bankrupt.
    Your post is a contradiction.
    Mattel is a seller here and they sold their manufactured toys with lead paint, yet they aren't bankrupt.

    One example of one business not exercising good quality control, does not make for a good argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Everything? No. A good majority? Indeed.
    Except that's only your opinion.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    There are more than enough Chinese to manufacture refrigerators for.
    Alright, do they want them?
    Maybe.

    We have 2 different cultures here.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 11-27-11 at 05:59 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #70
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Once again, because you said so.
    I guess the historical record is "because I said so."
    You can't debate someone so willfully ignorant of the history of world development.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •