Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 100

Thread: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

  1. #41
    User geewrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hartville, OH
    Last Seen
    06-15-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    142

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Do you know the difference between negative long term effects of something and a rather temporary and tiny short term gain? It would appear you do not.
    Do you know what not being able to afford to buy things is, because some snobby city council decided they preferred "american made" goods, even though they cost 2x as much.

    Anyways, we wouldn't be in this mess if we hadn't borrowed gazillions of dollars from China, so once again government intervention in the markets thoroughly frakked us over.

  2. #42
    User geewrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hartville, OH
    Last Seen
    06-15-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    142

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Actually it is a recognition of evil and an effort to combat it.
    Evil?? you think providing goods to the poor at a price they can afford is evil? Walmart has carefully tailored their business model to market to an under served market, and you call them evil?

    You just hate competition, admit it.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    None of those stores you mentioned had the tremendous power that WM does.

    None of them wreaked the type of economic havoc all over the nation that WM does.

    None of them destroyed small town business to the extent that WM does.
    I stated my displeasure with Wal-Marts practices but malls did this long before Wal-Mart became so prominant.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by geewrd View Post
    Do you know what not being able to afford to buy things is, because some snobby city council decided they preferred "american made" goods, even though they cost 2x as much.
    I covered this earlier but since nobody adressed it then........part of the reason people can not afford american made goods is because their jobs have been shipped to China.

    Anyways, we wouldn't be in this mess if we hadn't borrowed gazillions of dollars from China, so once again government intervention in the markets thoroughly frakked us over.
    But it's O.K. to ship our jobs there so you can save a little on your widescreen television?

  5. #45
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I covered this earlier but since nobody adressed it then........part of the reason people can not afford american made goods is because their jobs have been shipped to China.
    That's not true at all.
    Some jobs have moved to China and some have not.

    You saying that is just a worn out cliche.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    But it's O.K. to ship our jobs there so you can save a little on your widescreen television?
    Yep.
    Because if the Chinese can make that same tv cheaper, that's a good thing.
    We can do other things better here.

    Why is it that many Americans want foreigners to invest here, but don't want any of our people to invest in other nations?
    Seems very contradictory.

    By the way, it's not your or their job, you don't own it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #46
    User geewrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hartville, OH
    Last Seen
    06-15-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    142

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I covered this earlier but since nobody adressed it then........part of the reason people can not afford american made goods is because their jobs have been shipped to China.
    And why are jobs being shipped overseas? Either Chinese people are working for unrealistically low wages, or said Americans are unwilling to work for what the market-clearing price is for their labor. It's probably a little bit of both.

    I'm sure the amount of money we owe China has distorted this market, but with rapid advances made in manufacturing automation every day, laborers with little or no skill are becoming less and less valuable.

  7. #47
    Advisor Binky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the land that is now.
    Last Seen
    07-19-14 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    595
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Sounds like a really neat idea. Now if they are able to keep from selling cheaply made chinese crapola the community and store will be much better off.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's not true at all.
    Some jobs have moved to China and some have not.

    You saying that is just a worn out cliche.

    Because you say so? It's not a secret the strong arming Wal Mart uses to get the lowest prices possible.

    A blog? Yes but the Rubbermaid example is well documented.

    Marks Blog: Wal Mart Shipping Ohio Jobs Overseas


    Yep.
    Because if the Chinese can make that same tv cheaper, that's a good thing.
    We can do other things better here.

    Why is it that many Americans want foreigners to invest here, but don't want any of our people to invest in other nations?
    Seems very contradictory.

    By the way, it's not your or their job, you don't own it.
    I'm fine with people investing in other countries. I'm not fine with the exodus of jobs.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by geewrd View Post
    And why are jobs being shipped overseas? Either Chinese people are working for unrealistically low wages, or said Americans are unwilling to work for what the market-clearing price is for their labor. It's probably a little bit of both.
    It's not a theory that the Chinese are paid relatively little and that they are not held to the same safety and ecological standards as companies here.

    I'm sure the amount of money we owe China has distorted this market, but with rapid advances made in manufacturing automation every day, laborers with little or no skill are becoming less and less valuable.
    I'd still prefer those who run the machines be here.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Community Builds A Store and Keeps Walmarts Out

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Because you say so? It's not a secret the strong arming Wal Mart uses to get the lowest prices possible.

    A blog? Yes but the Rubbermaid example is well documented.

    Marks Blog: Wal Mart Shipping Ohio Jobs Overseas
    So what, technology and the economy are not static constructs.
    Things don't stay the same forever.

    Walmart has the market power to push for lower prices.
    Guess who benefits?
    The consumer.

    Should we ban vehicle GPS systems, because map makers are failing?
    Same principle applies to both.
    Someone else can do something better and/or cheaper, the other will lose out temporarily.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I'm fine with people investing in other countries. I'm not fine with the exodus of jobs.
    That's what happens when you invest in China, instead of America.
    Jobs may go up in China and jobs may go down in the U.S.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •