Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

  1. #31
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry, replying to the OP View Post
    I was under the impression that biased threads were unwelcome in this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst, supporting Jerry's post View Post
    Presenting an obviously biased study is pure partisan hackery. At least that's what we would hear from the Libbos, if someone bashed Chris Matthews and his leg travelling thrill.
    When unable to debate the facts, promote censorship.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They're presenting the same information, with a different spin. That's basically the only difference.

    Anyone that watches FNC is just as informed as someone that watches CNN, or MSNBC.
    It's not a matter of spin. It's a matter of bald face lying. For example:

    9/12 newspaper ad controversy

    On September 18, 2009, Fox News Channel took out full-page ads in The Washington Post, the New York Post, and The Wall Street Journal with a prominent caption reading, "How did ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, and CNN miss this story?" with pictures of a Tea Party movement protest on the United States Capitol lawn. A still picture in the ad was in fact taken from a CNN broadcast covering the event. The veracity of this ad was called into question on the air by then-CNN commentator Rick Sanchez, along with others pointing to various coverage of the event.[89][90][91] CNN, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, and CBS Radio News provided various forms of live coverage of the rally in Washington throughout the day on Saturday, including the lead story on CBS Evening News.[89][91][92][93]

    Fox News' vice president of marketing, Michael Tammero, responded, "it's fair to say that from the tea party movement . . . to ACORN . . . to the march on 9/12, the networks either ignored the story, marginalized it or misrepresented the significance of it altogether."[94]

    Fox News Channel controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And as you can see, when caught red-handed lying (and stupidly lying, at that), Fox just makes up some more lying B.S. to try and cover the original lie. They simply have no shame (or they must be sociopaths).

  3. #33
    Student Whoppletraps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-25-13 @ 04:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    264

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    A biased thread complaining about bias, hmmm...
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul

  4. #34
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Last Seen
    11-30-11 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    Wow, another poorly worded survey conducted by a "political science" professor from an unknown university. That's starting to become a cliche.

    If you word a survey poorly enough, you can achieve whatever result you desire. I would say that the revolutions in Syria and Egypt were unsuccessful. The overthrow of Mubarak occurred in February, but was followed by military rule, riots and killing for many months before the military junta stepped down. The poll was conducted from October 17 through October 23, when riots were still occurring, and the military was still in charge. Doesn't sound very successful to me. I read the article from The Slatest, which covered the poll. It was the most biased bit of nonsense I've read since I last tuned in to MSNBC.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by scott3dl View Post
    Wow, another poorly worded survey conducted by a "political science" professor from an unknown university. That's starting to become a cliche.

    If you word a survey poorly enough, you can achieve whatever result you desire. I would say that the revolutions in Syria and Egypt were unsuccessful. The overthrow of Mubarak occurred in February, but was followed by military rule, riots and killing for many months before the military junta stepped down. The poll was conducted from October 17 through October 23, when riots were still occurring, and the military was still in charge. Doesn't sound very successful to me. I read the article from The Slatest, which covered the poll. It was the most biased bit of nonsense I've read since I last tuned in to MSNBC.
    . . . . Actually, posts such as yours that rely solely on logical fallacies and are rife with factual errors are becoming cliche, at least from the right side of the political spectrum.

    1. Your "unknown university" claim, as it infers you would trust a "known university" is both an appeal to authority fallacy, as well as an ad hominem (demeaning the university not because of the quality of its poll, but because of its "unknown" status). Your "political science professor" remark is an ad hominem as well (inferring the professor is biased not because of the content of his work, but because of his title/specialty). Three grade school errors in logic, and that's just your first sentence

    2. The survey was conducted by an outside, apparently professional, polling agency. This is your first factual error; a total of four errors so far and again, we have yet to progress beyond your fist sentence. From page 3 of the OP's link:

    PublicMind interviews are conducted by Opinion America of Cedar Knolls, NJ, with professionally trained interviewers using a CATI (Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewing) system. Random selection is achieved by computerized random-digit dialing. This technique gives every person with a land-line phone number (including those with unlisted numbers) an equal chance of being selected. Landline households are supplemented with a separate, randomly selected sample of cell-phone-only-households, interviewed in the same time frame. The total combined sample is mathematically weighted to match known demographics of age, race and gender.
    3. The wording of the survey is clear; as is your attempt to distort (your first lie of omission, by omitting the words in bold in your post to make your point):

    K2. To the best of your knowledge, have the opposition groups protesting in Egypt been successful in bringing down the regime there?

    K3. How about the opposition groups in Syria? Have they been successful in bringing down the regime there?
    In summary, five glaring errors and a bunch of partisan rhetoric; a very poor effort indeed.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    I watch and read several news sites a day from different countries I like to see what all sides are saying! Apart fron Hannity which I watch to feel better about myself!

  7. #37
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    It's very perplexing to note that this required a study.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  8. #38
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    I'm curious, is there any amount of evidence that would actually show that Fox is trash? Is there anything that Fox could do (obviously other than changing its overall narrative), that would cause its viewers to abandon it?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #39
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I'm curious, is there any amount of evidence that would actually show that Fox is trash? Is there anything that Fox could do (obviously other than changing its overall narrative), that would cause its viewers to abandon it?
    Meh, they have one objective: rake liberals and their agenda through the muck. Until the partisan rhetoric in this country cools down or conservatism declines, they'll always have a large audience for that.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  10. #40
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Study Shows Fox News Viewers Less Informed on Major Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Presenting an obviously biased study is pure partisan hackery. At least that's what we would hear from the Libbos, if someone bashed Chris Matthews and his leg travelling thrill.
    prove it's biased.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •