Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

  1. #1
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Can't believe I had to use HuffPo, but the story is here:
    New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program.

    Muslims are peacefully protesting the NYPD surveillance programs of mosques, middle eastern establishments such as stores and restaurants, and the profiling of ME cab drivers. I do not know how much of their message I support or do not because I don't know where the line between public safety and privacy needs to be drawn these days as I do not know what tactics the officers are truly using nor do I want to try to make an opinion. What I think is that this is a good discussion about where privacy ends and where profiling is necessary in this particular leg in the fight against terrorist tactics.

    Most of these people protesting IMO are innocent of anything but I wanted to share this story because this protest has things that the OWS protesters do not:
    1) A clear message- The only complaint is that these people want to be left alone as much as possible, they have said "respect us and we will respect you", they have said they are equally Muslim and American. I can respect this.
    2) They have obeyed all laws, engaged in true peaceful assembly and free speech. No laws were broken, and they did not overstay their welcome.
    3) No Violence, none whatsoever. They chanted a little, they prayed, they let their feelings be known. And they moved on.

    So to summarize. I don't know how much I disagree or agree with these particular protesters but I do support their right to protest in this fashion. Imagine that, they used very American values and tactics in an orderly fashion to opine on what they feel is an injustice and I hope that the issue is resolved in a mutually agreeable fashion.

    Take note OWS, THIS is how you protest if you choose to do so.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    This has nothing to do with OWS so I don't know why you're bringing that into it.

    I support their protest. If it can be done to Muslims it can be done to anyone. Freedom from unwarranted expansion of powers must be protected for all Americans, or none shall have it.

  3. #3
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Imagine that, they used very American values and tactics in an orderly fashion to opine on what they feel is an injustice and I hope that the issue is resolved in a mutually agreeable fashion.
    Are they not American? Or do you just assume that because it says "Muslims"?
    Last edited by whysoserious; 11-19-11 at 05:25 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #4
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Are they not American? Or do you just assume that because it says "Muslims"?
    Let me explain where I am at on that. The muslim proters are american citizens or otherwise here on guest visas. I am not commenting on them with that statement, I am commenting on the unamerican activities of some of the OWS protesters such as charging police, ****ting in public parks, and otherwise doing nothing but bitching and griping for their own personal reasons. I am proud of what the muslim protesters did whether or not I ultimately agree with them.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #5
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    This has nothing to do with OWS so I don't know why you're bringing that into it.

    I support their protest. If it can be done to Muslims it can be done to anyone. Freedom from unwarranted expansion of powers must be protected for all Americans, or none shall have it.
    Actually, it very much does. You have a two groups protesting around the same area, one is an unruly group of idiots who have engaged in third world behavior and the other group did it the right way. The sad thing is the group that did it the right way are the ones that some people stereotype as unruly savages, and the one that did it wrong(OWS) are the ones that some people call americans.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #6
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Actually, it very much does. You have a two groups protesting around the same area,.
    And that's really the only similarity they share in my opinion.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Actually, it very much does. You have a two groups protesting around the same area, one is an unruly group of idiots who have engaged in third world behavior and the other group did it the right way. The sad thing is the group that did it the right way are the ones that some people stereotype as unruly savages, and the one that did it wrong(OWS) are the ones that some people call americans.
    So do you want this thread to be about OWS or something else? Because you brought it up in the OP so clearly you're baiting the issue. People like you hated the OWS movement from the start and spoke out against it from day one, so please spare us all the feigned outrage over their protest tactics. You never supported them in the first place. Conservatives made it their #1 priority to discredit the movement because they perceived it to be liberal, even though it had nothing to do with the liberal vs. conservative paradigm; evidenced by the fact that it was a protest under a NYC liberal government, state liberal government, and Federal liberal government.

    OWS did deteriorate over time but it had a big helping hand from the media, which caused it to lose a lot of public support. People became more focused on the fact that people were camping and the rights surrounding that, instead of looking at the original message of OWS which is something that is still incredibly relevant and important to our times. The media did a successful job of obfuscating that message, and the corporate whores in the conservative ranks who defend corporate socialism ate it up and turned it into bile.

    You can also argue that the OWS protest made it safer for Muslims to come out and be more visible, so that they aren't the soul activism on the move. People hate Muslims just as much as they hate so-called liberal fanatics in this country. People are sick of the partisan spin, including these Muslims, and they want it to end.

    Turn on your brain for a change instead of spewing the same old rhetoric.

  8. #8
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Actually, it very much does. You have a two groups protesting around the same area, one is an unruly group of idiots who have engaged in third world behavior and the other group did it the right way. The sad thing is the group that did it the right way are the ones that some people stereotype as unruly savages, and the one that did it wrong(OWS) are the ones that some people call americans.
    Your problem is that you are mixing OWS protesters with people who showed up and camped out because there were events going on. When you have a camp out in public, you're going to get vagrants showing up... obviously.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    And that's really the only similarity they share in my opinion.
    No kidding.

    Anything to take pot shots at the much-hated "libbos", I suppose.

  10. #10
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Your problem is that you are mixing OWS protesters with people who showed up and camped out because there were events going on. When you have a camp out in public, you're going to get vagrants showing up... obviously.
    Okay, but if the protests did not take liberties not found within the rights then this would not have happened at all. This is the point in the contrast. Past that I was sharing a protest that I agree with. It's not complicated.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •