Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

  1. #31
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,649

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    To get back to the supposed title of the thread, I am at least somewhat sympathetic toward their cause. I am only hesitant because I do not know hardly anything about the programs in question.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #32
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Your problem is that you are mixing OWS protesters with people who showed up and camped out because there were events going on. When you have a camp out in public, you're going to get vagrants showing up... obviously.
    Not to mention when you have a throng of people that huge they become a target. Societies miscreants, theives, and oppurtunists are giong to seek out this crowd and find easy victims/come-ups. It was funny how because OWS was targeted by theft the media spun it as "OWS are theives."
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  3. #33
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
    Maybe if the 1% stopped hoarding the cash?
    Or more like "Maybe if 1% of the cash stopped usurping the 99%'s votes." Build up as much cash as you personally want. Who cares about being capitalistic. Just stop buying out politicians.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #34
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    To get back to the supposed title of the thread, I am at least somewhat sympathetic toward their cause. I am only hesitant because I do not know hardly anything about the programs in question.
    That's exactly my position. I think that if the police are just profiling at random there are implications that all of us could suffer later, but if there is some evidence leading to certain suspects the NYPD has an interest in continuing. I'd like more information on the situation before I were to side one way or the other.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #35
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Can't believe I had to use HuffPo, but the story is here:
    New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program.

    Muslims are peacefully protesting the NYPD surveillance programs of mosques, middle eastern establishments such as stores and restaurants, and the profiling of ME cab drivers. I do not know how much of their message I support or do not because I don't know where the line between public safety and privacy needs to be drawn these days as I do not know what tactics the officers are truly using nor do I want to try to make an opinion. What I think is that this is a good discussion about where privacy ends and where profiling is necessary in this particular leg in the fight against terrorist tactics.

    Most of these people protesting IMO are innocent of anything but I wanted to share this story because this protest has things that the OWS protesters do not:
    1) A clear message- The only complaint is that these people want to be left alone as much as possible, they have said "respect us and we will respect you", they have said they are equally Muslim and American. I can respect this.
    2) They have obeyed all laws, engaged in true peaceful assembly and free speech. No laws were broken, and they did not overstay their welcome.
    3) No Violence, none whatsoever. They chanted a little, they prayed, they let their feelings be known. And they moved on.

    So to summarize. I don't know how much I disagree or agree with these particular protesters but I do support their right to protest in this fashion. Imagine that, they used very American values and tactics in an orderly fashion to opine on what they feel is an injustice and I hope that the issue is resolved in a mutually agreeable fashion.

    Take note OWS, THIS is how you protest if you choose to do so.
    So is this just a smear piece against OWS because they don't protest how YOU THINK they should protest?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #36
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So is this just a smear piece against OWS because they don't protest how YOU THINK they should protest?
    No, was sharing a seperate protest, but it does show the differences in tactics which is why I posted what I did. The OWS movement is a joke.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #37
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No, was sharing a seperate protest, but it does show the differences in tactics which is why I posted what I did. The OWS movement is a joke.
    So this was just a way to smear OWS, as you continually do it and can't seem to make a post without reference to it.

    It's actions, not words that matter. You say it wasn't X, but act in a way to indicate it was X. It's like how some of the "conservative" folk say they want small government, but then they don't support true small government actions. Thus they are big government supporters. They just want to run their mouths and pretend they're still the party of Reagan when they have abandoned those ideals some time ago.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #38
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So this was just a way to smear OWS, as you continually do it and can't seem to make a post without reference to it.

    It's actions, not words that matter. You say it wasn't X, but act in a way to indicate it was X. It's like how some of the "conservative" folk say they want small government, but then they don't support true small government actions. Thus they are big government supporters. They just want to run their mouths and pretend they're still the party of Reagan when they have abandoned those ideals some time ago.
    A smear would require telling half-truths to make a point against a political opponent or movement. There is enough criminal activity associated with OWS to make the point stand without any help. Again, I did a compare and contrast to two simultaneous protests. One I may or may not agree with and the other is one that has gone on too long with nothing of substance.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #39
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    A smear would require telling half-truths to make a point against a political opponent or movement. There is enough criminal activity associated with OWS to make the point stand without any help. Again, I did a compare and contrast to two simultaneous protests. One I may or may not agree with and the other is one that has gone on too long with nothing of substance.
    A smear merely requires that you do everything you can to cast a certain idea or group or whatever in a negative light whenever you can. You claim it's gone on too long, but that's YOUR PERCEPTION. You aren't god, so there's no reason why we should base law off of your perception of what a "protest" should be. You decided what it should look like and then you attack OWS (even though it had NOTHING to do with the topic) because it didn't match your perception of what protest should be. That's it, and that's why it's smear.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #40
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New York Muslims Rally To Protest NYPD Surveillance Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    A smear merely requires that you do everything you can to cast a certain idea or group or whatever in a negative light whenever you can. You claim it's gone on too long, but that's YOUR PERCEPTION. You aren't god, so there's no reason why we should base law off of your perception of what a "protest" should be. You decided what it should look like and then you attack OWS (even though it had NOTHING to do with the topic) because it didn't match your perception of what protest should be. That's it, and that's why it's smear.
    I haven't done anything. They are the ones making news with suicides, murders, assault on police, rapes, and other nuisance and criminal behaviors. I just compared what the muslim protesters did as an aside.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •