Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

  1. #1
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,099

    Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Below is a link to a news video I found at The Chicago Tribune about seniors attending the protest.

    Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts(E. Jason Wambsgans/Chicago Tribune.

    Several hundred senior citizens and advocates for social services rally.........

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/videog...o-protest-cuts

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Below is another news story and video related to the seniors in Chicago.

    Seniors block busy Chicago street to protest cuts to social programs By Eric W. Dolan

    Chicago police on Monday issued citations to 43 senior citizens and their supporters who linked arms to block an intersection near the city’s financial district.

    The action was part of a protest against proposed cuts to Social Security, Medicare and other benefits.....

    This news sure grabs my attention and it sort makes me wonder, if seniors often need others to help with simple daily chores like going to the store or taking out the trash, maybe that's part of the reason why there isn't a heavier senior presence on a daily basis at these protests, surely it could be very hard on a senior to even attend a protest let alone occupy or live at one.

    What are your thoughts or comments ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Last Seen
    04-22-13 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    221

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Hopefully they don't get to violent.

  3. #3
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Free For All View Post
    Hopefully they don't get to violent.
    I live in Chicago and actually witnessed this situation first hand yesterday. It was extremely depressing. A couple things bothered me while I was watching this scenario unfold:

    1. First and foremost, while not empirical, if our eldest citizens are raising an issue shouldn't we be paying attention?
    2. The fact that the CPD handcuffed these people was just a disgrace, seriously what threat did they pose?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Last Seen
    04-22-13 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    221

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    These seniors definetly were hippies or hippie sympathizers. I bet their trying to live back their golden age of free love and drugs.

    Anyways if I was old I wouldn't give a damn about the politics. As long as I can still drink alcohol and watch Jerry Springer I'll be all good.
    Protesting is just way too much work. And It always seem weird to me when old people have a different view point then Die hard patriotic American who, if the government asks to jump they go "How high?" And if the government changes a law they don't ask why. Which is pretty much all my grand parents. And to just see senior citizens have differing view points is shocking...

  5. #5
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Free For All View Post
    These seniors definetly were hippies or hippie sympathizers. I bet their trying to live back their golden age of free love and drugs.
    I really hope this was a lame attempt at humorous sarcasm.

    Quote Originally Posted by Free For All View Post
    Anyways if I was old I wouldn't give a damn about the politics. As long as I can still drink alcohol and watch Jerry Springer I'll be all good.
    Protesting is just way too much work. And It always seem weird to me when old people have a different view point then Die hard patriotic American who, if the government asks to jump they go "How high?" And if the government changes a law they don't ask why. Which is pretty much all my grand parents. And to just see senior citizens have differing view points is shocking...
    I don't even know how to reply to this..... I'm not sure if you are of the opinion that all old people think alike or if you are implying that they ought not disagree with your impression of how old people ought to think/act.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    1. First and foremost, while not empirical, if our eldest citizens are raising an issue shouldn't we be paying attention?
    Just because people are old doesn't mean they get anymore attention than anyone else. If they are crying for free things they will get the attention those kind of cries usually get from anyone else.

    2. The fact that the CPD handcuffed these people was just a disgrace, seriously what threat did they pose?
    They blocked an intersection. That will get you arrested everytime without fail. The only reason you block an intersection is to get attention as everyone is aware going in they will get arrested for it.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Last Seen
    04-22-13 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    221

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    1. First and foremost, while not empirical, if our eldest citizens are raising an issue shouldn't we be paying attention?
    If anyone is raising an issue we should pay attention. And obviously we knew this was going to happen since its social security and Medicare or medicaid being cut. Surprise, surprise, old people.

    These are protester comments 'Don't cut Medicare and Medicaid,' and 'make the rich pay their fair share.'"
    The rich don't pay their fair share already? People act like the rich don't pay... Why the Rich Pay 40% of Taxes - The Wealth Report - WSJ
    Now, I really have no beef with these people I just wish people would learn how much the rich already pay. And stop using that line.

    2. The fact that the CPD handcuffed these people was just a disgrace, seriously what threat did they pose?
    They pose barely any threat but the laws the law. And so we just let senior people do what they want.... cuz their old? Not to sound heartless. I'm not I love old people.

    I really hope this was a lame attempt at humorous sarcasm.
    What else was it?

    I don't even know how to reply to this..... I'm not sure if you are of the opinion that all old people think alike or if you are implying that they ought not disagree with your impression of how old people ought to think/act.
    I am implying that old people ought not to shatter my perception of em.

    If you want to know my opinion on this protest... I am against Social Programs.
    I believe in Privatizing things and what not.

    Privatize Social Security already!
    Last edited by Free For All; 11-09-11 at 04:24 AM.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,849

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Not only young people are affected by the idiot gene. Old people have it as well.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  9. #9
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Just because people are old doesn't mean they get anymore attention than anyone else. If they are crying for free things they will get the attention those kind of cries usually get from anyone else.
    fair enough, I just find it odd that so many people here are ready and willing to defame those defaulting on mortgages yet don't give a wit about our collective contract to those that came befor us.... I.E. we cant afford it now.... its ok if we default on our promise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    They blocked an intersection. That will get you arrested everytime without fail. The only reason you block an intersection is to get attention as everyone is aware going in they will get arrested for it.
    No it won't. I participate in critical mass every month (its a monthly bike ride through numerous cities throughout the world) that ties up traffic, block intersections, makes people perturbed, etc... and for the last 5 years I have never seen anyone get arrested for "blocking an intersection". As a matter of fact for the past 3 years the CPD actually rides with us and blocks the intersections for us. We get no permit, it is completely without central organization, and there have been no efforts by Chicago to disrupt our ride. In the summer it is not uncommon for the length of the "mass" to reach 3 or 4 miles in length and sometimes making people wait at an intersection for more than 2 hours.

    Point being you are wrong. you will only get arrested if the city decides you will. people may not like what we do but the fact that we space it out, and limit it to the last Friday in every month probably lends to the "leniency", not to mention that Daley wanted to see less cars and more bicycles. We are still waiting to see how Rahm will address our peacefull civil disobedience. So far it has been positive.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Last Seen
    04-22-13 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    221

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    It sucks that people have to take cuts and have their money taken away from them. Hell, those people worked their assess off in their lifetime... well at least you would hope. I don't know what all our government spends but I think we should even out the cuts as best as we can. Even cutting our military which they have by the way. And before we ever dare cut something as important as Social Security and medicare to get rid of waste as much as possible first. I think everybody would agree on that.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •