Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 106

Thread: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

  1. #31
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    take a tour thru WalMart, the old people working there aren't doing it for fun.
    They didn't prepare, and most likely they stock market hit didn't impact them much. SS was never meant to be anything more than a minimum, a safety net. SS is INSURANCE, it is there always and cannot run out. Savings is savings, and you have to have a lot for it to never run out.
    Theres also alot of seniors that had to drop out of school and help support their families that cant write a decent paragraph that never earned enough money to save for their old age...they just about earned enough to survive...I dont understand for the life of me how some of the freakin kids cant get that in their brain...its like they believe everyone that doesnt have money is a scumbag leech and did it intentionally to get something for free...

  2. #32
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    take a tour thru WalMart, the old people working there aren't doing it for fun.
    every time we go to walmart I joke with the wife that after I retire I am going to get a job at walmart just for fun, "Diet food is on aisle 5, bitch. and welcome to walmart"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #33
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Thats bs...theres millions of boomers raised in the 60s that were in nam and and most of them did ALOT with their lives...the boomers are the RICH today and all the CEOs...
    I am "first wave" boomer, and many consider me rich. Equity in 2 houses plus some savings, all that adds up to about $700K. We also have a barely 6 figure retirement income (after taxes).
    I let a rich uncle pay for my technical education, but I paid him back in full, plus. Same Uncle paid for my college education.
    My wife got 2 years of college at her parents expense, the rest we paid for.
    But, we started out with just her 2 years of college, and my 2 years of technical training. Then we BUILT on that, adding to it, earning as much as we could, spending as little as we could. When the youngest child started school, she went to work, we continued living on my income and save ALL of hers. That was in 1979....now we are retired and living well.
    What is the point? It is still possible to accomplish financial security. Nothing has changed that much. It takes a LONG time to get there, but it is still doable. Anybody who wants the great American dream in a short time period is very naiive...
    Last edited by UtahBill; 11-09-11 at 02:00 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #34
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Theres also alot of seniors that had to drop out of school and help support their families that cant write a decent paragraph that never earned enough money to save for their old age...they just about earned enough to survive...I dont understand for the life of me how some of the freakin kids cant get that in their brain...its like they believe everyone that doesnt have money is a scumbag leech and did it intentionally to get something for free...
    True....if you want to see a scumbag leach, don't look to the very poor student, the slow to learn, the poor readers, etc. They have an excuse for not learning much. Look to the smart who game the system... They take what they don't need, which makes it more expensive to care for those who DO need help.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #35
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    True....if you want to see a scumbag leach, don't look to the very poor student, the slow to learn, the poor readers, etc. They have an excuse for not learning much. Look to the smart who game the system... They take what they don't need, which makes it more expensive to care for those who DO need help.
    There ya go...like when we had the draft...all the rich privledged kids got deferments and "EXCUSED" from combat if they could "AFFORD" college...there was not the assistance for college there is today or the guaranteed student loans either...it came down to you had the cash or not...so the poor kids got to die because the rich politicians sent them to war...and had all their kids excused ...nice huh ? I could go on but you already know bill

  6. #36
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    There ya go...like when we had the draft...all the rich privledged kids got deferments and "EXCUSED" from combat if they could "AFFORD" college...there was not the assistance for college there is today or the guaranteed student loans either...it came down to you had the cash or not...so the poor kids got to die because the rich politicians sent them to war...and had all their kids excused ...nice huh ? I could go on but you already know bill
    yeppers, I joined the navy in 64 to avoid being drafted into the army, didn't want to be sent to vietnam.....GUESS WHAT HAPPENED? Who knew the damn Navy had sailors in-country?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,037

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    First, it's probably procedure that when one is arrested in the street and put in a wagon, one is handcuffed. Next, these people delighted in being handcuffed. That's what true civil disobedience is all about. Peaceful demonstration violating private space followed by arrest. Grams and Gramps get it. The others? Notsomuch.
    I remember back when I was just a young'n and we'd go to a civil rights march in the mornin' and get hosed by the cops, then we would dry off and go to an anti-war demonstration and get clubbed and beaten by the cops, and in the evening we would be happy to get arrested at a womens rights rally just to be able to find a warm bed for the night.

    Like Archie and Edith used to sing every week "Those were the days".
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    There ya go...like when we had the draft...all the rich privledged kids got deferments and "EXCUSED" from combat if they could "AFFORD" college...there was not the assistance for college there is today or the guaranteed student loans either...it came down to you had the cash or not...so the poor kids got to die because the rich politicians sent them to war...and had all their kids excused ...nice huh ? I could go on but you already know bill
    How horrible. So people going to college didn't have to go to war? Oh the humanity! Wait..they offered a benefit to the society. Wouldn't that be supported by libs? Nah..because war is involved. All of a sudden the collective mindset goes out the window.

    On a sidenote, you do realize that the value of college is connected to its availability, yes? The reason college is becoming more useless in the job market is because far to many are going. These college loan assistance programs you speak of have actually hurt college and people far more than they have helped.

  9. #39
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How horrible. So people going to college didn't have to go to war? Oh the humanity! Wait..they offered a benefit to the society. Wouldn't that be supported by libs? Nah..because war is involved. All of a sudden the collective mindset goes out the window.

    On a sidenote, you do realize that the value of college is connected to its availability, yes? The reason college is becoming more useless in the job market is because far to many are going. These college loan assistance programs you speak of have actually hurt college and people far more than they have helped.
    a bachelor's degree is pretty much useless these days because everybody and their brother has one. I remember back in the day when, if you had a BS degree you could write your own ticket. And then it got to where you had to have a BS degree and if you had a MS degree you were golden.

    education is subject to supply and demand, just like everything else.

    That's why my son dropped out of college and got a technical certificate. he is one of only 3 guys in our entire state that has this particular certification. he landed a contracting/consulting job with a company that contracts with the US Embassies around the globe. he is making nearly triple what I do and I have BS degrees in Chemistry and Physics and a MS degree in Chemical Engineering.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #40
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Seniors join Occupy Chicago rally to protest cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How horrible. So people going to college didn't have to go to war? Oh the humanity! Wait..they offered a benefit to the society. Wouldn't that be supported by libs? Nah..because war is involved. All of a sudden the collective mindset goes out the window.

    On a sidenote, you do realize that the value of college is connected to its availability, yes? The reason college is becoming more useless in the job market is because far to many are going. These college loan assistance programs you speak of have actually hurt college and people far more than they have helped.
    I have no response for crap like this thats civil...so ill just pass

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •